PDA

View Full Version : What a DEAL!

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-07-2009, 7:28am
Only $1600 for this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-Vintage-Mandolin-Play-Well_W0QQitemZ250351754760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item250351754760&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) fine specimen... wonder if you get the mandolin with it??

John Flynn
Jan-07-2009, 7:57am
When I was a kid, my Dad used to go to auctions and one of the things that was popular back then was to have "mystery" auction items, like a big, locked trunk that had a lot of stuff in it, but you didn't know what it was. My Dad just had to bid on those things. Unbeknown to me at the time, he once won a suitcase full of baseball cards. Baseball cards were not really well known as collector's items at that point, so he figured he didn't get anything of value, threw the cards away and kept the suitcase. A few years later, when I started collecting cards, I heard that story and about had a heart attack! I can only imagine what classic and valuable cards had been in that case!

That mandolin case on eBay could have an undiscovered Loar in it! :mandosmiley:

Bob Andress
Jan-07-2009, 9:15am
Well.. He does say that it plays well. I wish he had an mp3 of that.
I like at the end he says "Thanks Anyway"... my thoughts exactly.

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-07-2009, 9:23am
Well.. He does say that it plays well. I wish he had an mp3 of that.
I like at the end he says "Thanks Anyway"... my thoughts exactly.

:)):whistling:

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-07-2009, 9:26am
When I was a kid, my Dad used to go to auctions and one of the things that was popular back then was to have "mystery" auction items, like a big, locked trunk that had a lot of stuff in it, but you didn't know what it was. My Dad just had to bid on those things. Unbeknown to me at the time, he once won a suitcase full of baseball cards. Baseball cards were not really well known as collector's items at that point, so he figured he didn't get anything of value, threw the cards away and kept the suitcase. A few years later, when I started collecting cards, I heard that story and about had a heart attack! I can only imagine what classic and valuable cards had been in that case!

That mandolin case on eBay could have an undiscovered Loar in it! :mandosmiley:

Don't they still do that at auctions for things left in unpaid storage containers?? I would have been like your dad, thinking that there must be something wonderful in there somewhere! lol But I think I'd have given the cards to you, rather than pitching them. Boys and baseball cards go together pretty good. =o) Hard telling what he had... a lot of anguish in the 'what if's!

bobby bill
Jan-07-2009, 9:41am
Well, they do deliver it by ambulance. Can't discount that.

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-07-2009, 11:39am
Well, they do deliver it by ambulance. Can't discount that.

Considering what a short jaunt to the ER costs around here, I can't imagine the bill coming from China with lights and sirens! ;)

Ira Chavis
Jan-07-2009, 4:22pm
He also provides the packing material :)

jim simpson
Jan-08-2009, 11:08pm
It's beautiful! I can't stop staring at it!!

Fretbear
Jan-09-2009, 12:08am
Is this what foks mean when they say they don't like buying over the internet cause they don't know what they are getting?

pjlama
Jan-09-2009, 12:20am
That's certainly a good one, I wonder if there's rocks in there? It's nearly 31 lbs. seems heavy for a manolin, I bet it's filled with old baseball cards that some guy unwittingly tossed out of an old suitcase :)):)):))

Jason Renzi
Jan-09-2009, 12:27am
that's easily one of the strangest things i've ever seen...
how do you think he landed on the 1600 dollar figure?...

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-09-2009, 11:21am
I emailed him several days ago out of sheer curiousity and he said he would send me pictures... I'm still waiting. My guess is that it's too dark inside that lovely case. ;)

woodwizard
Jan-09-2009, 12:54pm
That ain't no part of nothin' ! :confused:

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-09-2009, 12:58pm
This case is closed!

miked500
Jan-09-2009, 1:37pm
I'll offer anyone who is interested, my case for half price, a paltry $800. Act now!

Tim Pike
Jan-09-2009, 2:10pm
Reminds me of the "dollar" grab bags you see at the fair. Heck, take a chance-might be a Loar inside!:grin:

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-09-2009, 7:51pm
It's beautiful! I can't stop staring at it!!

I was so thankful I didn't have a mouthful of liquid when I read this! :))

John Hill
Jan-09-2009, 8:01pm
That could be the best ebay item ever.

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-09-2009, 9:11pm
how do you think he landed on the 1600 dollar figure?...

I don't know, but that doesn't even come close to what that cute little Santa in your avatar is worth!

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-10-2009, 8:24am
I finally got pictures... this is what he sent me.

Bigtuna
Jan-10-2009, 9:09am
Now what do you do? I don't think I could risk it, I can't afford to lose that kind of money if it were a scam. All I can say is, the pictures look nice.

Tracy Ballinger
Jan-10-2009, 9:23am
Now what do you do? I don't think I could risk it, I can't afford to lose that kind of money if it were a scam. All I can say is, the pictures look nice.

I had no intention of bidding on it, I just wanted to know what was in the case! :) I think it very odd that he wouldn't post those pictures on his auction... very strange. He offered a 'better deal' if I wanted to buy it from him directly. Uh-huh. :whistling:

Edit: I didn't ask for the pictures. I emailed him saying that people generally like to see what they're getting when they're paying $1,600 for something, and strongly encouraged him to add pictures to his auction. I wasn't fishing for a better deal or anything. (Can't afford ANY deal at this point! lol)

Jason Renzi
Jan-10-2009, 12:12pm
I don't know, but that doesn't even come close to what that cute little Santa in your avatar is worth!

thank you!...
that's my daughter Piper...

Jason Renzi
Jan-10-2009, 12:14pm
I finally got pictures... this is what he sent me.

wow...
boy does this raise some questions...
where did he get it?...
why such a goofy listing?...
if it's really what it looks like, isn't it worth more than 1600 bucks?...

allenhopkins
Jan-10-2009, 4:03pm
Those pics have been around before. This guy has no F-4. If it sounds too good to be true...

Justin Burrows
Jan-12-2009, 11:26am
Anyone else notice that there are pictures of mandolin, and pictures of the case, but none of the two together? Someone should request a pic from him that's got something unique to "prove" he has it, like some kind of paper currency weaved through the strings, and see what he does.

I've seen this exact same set of pics somewhere else, can't remember where.

Justin Burrows
Jan-12-2009, 11:29am
I just looked at the guy's feedback, it's all positive, but it's also in very poor "Engrish" if you know what I mean..... Oh well, it's entertaining to look at!

moledalin
Jan-13-2009, 4:32pm
Is that the same case? It's not that crazy I know a guy who bought a 1911 F2 ten years ago for $1500. I don't understand his selling methods but it got a lot of folks looking.

woodwizard
Jan-13-2009, 4:50pm
I've seen those pics before ... I'm pretty sure. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-13-2009, 4:55pm
You could put strings on the 10 foot pole and sell it on Ebay in a closed container for $1,500