PDA

View Full Version : Kimble A5

Oggy
Jan-06-2009, 7:11am
OK, I''ve had this mandolin for three months now and it's time for a review. But it'll be a short one, because all I can say is WOW!!!

Yeah, I know it's disappointing. You'd rather like me to describe its tremendous sound, its great playability, its awesome responsiveness... But I won't do it. All I can say is WOW!!!

But this I can tell y'all: When I was talking to Will about my choice of top wood, I was first a bit anxious about chosing engelmann. I know that Will is using red spruce mostly these days, searching for the Loar-sound, and I was afraid that I would miss out on that if I chose engelmann. But I wanted the warm and responsive sound of engelmann, so I decided to go in that direction. I was prepared for a less dynamic instrument, one I couldn't drive as hard. But I was WRONG!!! This mandolin is a beast... IF I choose to turn it to one. And with a gentle hand it's truely sweet. This really proves to me that the choice of luthier is more important than the choice of wood.

This is my fourth instrument. First one I owned was a Furch. The difference between that one and my next, a Collings MT, was remarkable. When I got my Pomeroy F5 the Collings never went out of its case, so I sold it. But this Kimble mandolin, all I can say is WOW!!! It's not like comparing apples and oranges, more like comparing water to wine. The other mandolins where good, in a basic kind of way. They nourished my interest in mandolin playing and kept it alive. But the Kimble is intoxicating.

Would also like to take the opportunity to thank Will Kimble and Jonathan Peck for helping me to get this wonderful instrument in my hands. I truely appreciate the extra labour you both put down. THANKS!!!

Chris Biorkman
Jan-06-2009, 7:33am
That's really nice, Oskar. Will makes a great mandolin. Mine has a Carpathian spruce top and it's got bark for days. I feel lucky to have gotten it. It was definitely the best impulse buy I've ever made.

sgarrity
Jan-06-2009, 7:40am
The other mandolins where good, in a basic kind of way. They nourished my interest in mandolin playing and kept it alive. But the Kimble is intoxicating.

That is about the best description of a high end mandolin that I've ever heard. Good choice with the Englemann top. In the right hands it makes for an extremely expressive mandolin. Beautiful mandolin by the way. Will is definitely on top of his game!

jasona
Jan-06-2009, 9:25am
That is a beautiful mandolin right there.

Cheryl Watson
Jan-06-2009, 9:38am
Congrads, Oskar!! I'll be taking ownership of a Kimble A5 soon, and thanks for making the remainder of my wait even more torturous :))

ENJOY!!

Cheryl:mandosmiley:

Oggy
Jan-06-2009, 10:02am
...thanks for making the remainder of my wait even more torturous...

Well I don't feel sorry for you. You have a Kimble F5 already... ;)

Hey Chris! I just changed my avatar. Lets start a club for Kimble A5 owners. That headstock will be our special sign. :grin:

Ken Olmstead
Jan-06-2009, 10:54am
Hey Chris! I just changed my avatar. Lets start a club for Kimble A5 owners. That headstock will be our special sign. :grin:

...and what a "special" sign it is! I think that Kimble headstock is simply a thing of true beauty!! Congradulations!

Big Joe
Jan-06-2009, 11:25am
Will is truly an artist and every one of his I've seen have been great!

Skip Kelley
Jan-06-2009, 1:20pm
There's nothing quite like having an instrument that makes you say "WOW". Congratulatios! Will makes a awesome mandolin!

Michael Cameron
Jan-06-2009, 1:53pm
Well I don't feel sorry for you. You have a Kimble F5 already... ;)

A running thread of "Let's See Pics of Your Kimble" would be great! Will seems to have always liked the old Gibson headstock inlay design from the A3s;so maybe "Let's See Pics of Your Kimble and/or A3 Gibsons" would be even better!?

I have Kimble A5,#12 from May,'02. I believe it was his first blackface mando(?).Red spruce top. The back&sides are a deep-red(hence,the name is Vincent,for "Vincent Black Lightning"..."red&black,my favourite color-scheme"). Going on 7 years old,this mandolin has been dearly loved and played daily.

#12 has a more Collings-like,"haircut"-style peghead shape,with the part on the opposite side from a Collings. The peghead inlay,I just asked Will to do whatever he liked. OK,I gotta get some pics if I'm gonna be in "The Kimble Club". Woof.

Cheryl,Chris,what are the serial numbers of yall's Kimbles?

Congrats,Oskar! #144 is ... WOW!

Chris Biorkman
Jan-06-2009, 5:12pm
Here are a few pics of mine, although I have had them in my album for quite a while. It's #148 bought new in late August if memory serves me correctly. Pretty similar to Oskar's, except for the two-piece back, unbound pickguard and Carpathian spruce top. It's awesome.

Cheryl Watson
Jan-06-2009, 6:06pm
My Kimble F5 is #13 and has been played a lot. It has a nicely figured spruce back (not sure what species) and a German spruce top. It is loud, toneful and is super easy to play. It records well, mics well, and is a great jam mandolin too.

My new A5 will probably be in the 150s as far as the serial number. Love that (front and back) burst on Oskar's.

Perry
Jan-06-2009, 6:38pm
Here's mine (for now)

Michael Cameron
Jan-07-2009, 3:29pm
Thanks to all for sharing Kimble pics! They are beautiful. Englemann,Carpathian,red spruce,; just wondering if Will ever used Sitka?

More Kimble pics,please.

My camera is on the fritz...

JimRichter
Jan-07-2009, 3:39pm
Will, in my opinion, is the best. Great guy, great musician, and a true artist. I've owned several of Will's through different periods and am currently the proud owner of a recent production A5 as well as an incredible octave.

Welcome to the club!

Jim

Chris Biorkman
Jan-07-2009, 4:38pm
Will, in my opinion, is the best. Great guy, great musician, and a true artist. I've owned several of Will's through different periods and am currently the proud owner of a recent production A5 as well as an incredible octave.

Welcome to the club!

Jim

They really are great. You unknowingly stoked my interest in his mandolins. I'm glad you did. Are you still getting the Gil oval?

JimRichter
Jan-07-2009, 7:22pm
Nope, no Gil oval. Money spent on other things, including the Kimble octave. Frankly, a much smarter and practical purchase.

Cheryl Watson
Jan-07-2009, 7:37pm
Here are two pics of my Kimble F5 #13 when it was new--Will's first F. It has since been fitted with a James tailpiece.

Michael Cameron
Jan-07-2009, 7:57pm
Cheryl,that is a beauty! Now where can I go to hear you play it?

Flat fb? Sitka?

Am I too nosey?

c

bud
Jan-07-2009, 8:01pm
Here are a couple of photos of my Kimbles. The A5 is number 6 and has two different tonewoods on the top. Englemann on the bass side and Red Spruce on the treble. Here is some information from an early comando tasting out in California. I bought it 4-5 years ago. http://www.humblepress.com/CoMando/NewFiles/Page2.html

The F5 is number 35 and belonged to Mike Stangeland. I've had it maybe 3 years. Both are really great mandolins. Huge deep chop. The mids on the A5 really pop. I'm proud to own them. Have tried a lot of other mandolins, you know, always looking for something else that is a step up, I have not found it.
Isn't time for a Kimblefest? or a least get Will to get some hats or t-shirts made.

Cheryl Watson
Jan-07-2009, 8:13pm
MC, #13 has a German spruce top and maple back and sides-don't know what species it is. The FB radius is slight, a 16" radius and it has banjo frets.

PM me because I lost your email when my 'puter crashed, if you want a few sound clips of it which are from my in progress album.

Jonas
Jan-10-2009, 6:13am
I've played Oskars Kimble, and it surely get's a WOW! from me too. Just an amazing instrument. Never played anything even close to this mandolin, it's outrageous! :disbelief:

Ted Eschliman
Jan-10-2009, 6:48am
My Kimble dola. A thing of beauty:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=55&pictureid=1115

Gary Hedrick
Jan-10-2009, 2:30pm
I currently have two Kimbles. F5's number 116 and 117......the ying and the yang....engleman vs red spruce....flat board vs curved.....fern vs flower pot....side bound vs top bound....bound pick guard vs unbound.....scooped fretboard extension vs truncated . They both are cannons....each different in their own ways.

I have played Jim's A5......same tonality as an F5.....so if you don't have the money for a scroll or frankly aren't a scroll slave...(like me) then plunk your bucks down and get an A5 from him. It will blow your socks off.

PhilTod
Jan-10-2009, 2:59pm
Really a beautiful A from a great builder and really nice guy! Congrats-I hope it serves you well.

Michael Cameron
Jan-14-2009, 9:54pm
Hard to believe,maybe;but,Will used to be very open to trying...stuff.

This is #12, VINCENT BLACK LIGHTNING .

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/mdc50/Red%20Diamond%20with%20aluminum%20bridge-saddle/IMG_0633.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/mdc50/Red%20Diamond%20with%20aluminum%20bridge-saddle/IMG_0638.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/mdc50/Red%20Diamond%20with%20aluminum%20bridge-saddle/IMG_0637.jpg

Michael Cameron
Jan-17-2009, 8:49pm
No more Kimble-pickers willing to share pics ! ?

djweiss
Jan-17-2009, 8:54pm
Here's mine, #122. Englemann spruce.

Michael Cameron
Jan-18-2009, 12:56pm
dj,#122 is a beauty. Looks like a Dudenbostel strap pin ? I got a couple from the Dude back when he made a batch of them.

djweiss
Jan-18-2009, 1:17pm
Thanks, Michael...I sure like this mandolin a lot...not sure about the strap pin...came that way from Will.

-DJW

Gary S
Jan-18-2009, 2:33pm
I hope this works. Kimble style J #53 april 04

Gary

Michael Cameron
Jan-18-2009, 2:38pm
Mighty fine,Gary! Nice J-style.
Thanks for the pic.

c

bdeivert
Jan-19-2009, 12:14pm
I bought Oggy's Pomeroy F-5 mandolin. AFTER reading this, I may have to sell some stuff to buy a KIMBLE!

Cheers
BERT

Michael Cameron
Jan-19-2009, 2:00pm
Bert,MAS is something you can never completely get rid of. It may go into remission for a while...you will have relapses.

Jeff Chu
Jan-19-2009, 5:09pm
14 Strings, why is it only yours "for now" were you trying to sell the beautiful oval A?

sgarrity
Feb-04-2009, 4:01pm
14 Strings, why is it only yours "for now" were you trying to sell the beautiful oval A?

Yes he was and I'm the lucky picker that snagged it. I've played several of Will's ovals and liked every one of them. I've wanted this mandolin since I first saw a pic of it. I was on a self-imposed buying moratorium but the nice thing about self-imposed rules is they are easily broken! LOL

I think it's fitting that my 2000th post is about a new mandolin acquisition.
MAS.....it's a wonderful thing! :mandosmiley:

Oggy
Feb-05-2009, 3:33pm
Congratulations Shaun! That one surely looks nice, really nice. And I bet it sounds awesome too...

Michael Cameron
Feb-05-2009, 10:32pm
The EXPs on Vincent are about 3 days old. I've been spankin them with a size 60, X-tra Large Blue Chip.

Kentucky's blue son
fire bound in the wooden tone
Hear Uncle Pen call

This is the place to woof about our favorite Kimble A5,right? I might even take the liberty to woof about Will too...

Yep.

pjlama
Feb-05-2009, 11:15pm
This is exactly why I've been avoiding the cafe. Well, maybe one day but for now you guys are giving me Kimblitis.

Lee
Feb-06-2009, 12:23pm
I see there's a Kimble F in the Classifieds. Would that be a Kimblectomy?

DryBones
Feb-06-2009, 12:39pm
how about some sound clips?

Gary Hedrick
Feb-06-2009, 2:05pm
I think the Kimble in the classifieds is the same one that was on Ebay.

Does anyone know if the Cotton F5 did sell or was it claimed back by the owner?

Klaus Wutscher
Feb-06-2009, 4:15pm
Wil is a great guy and builds terific instrumwnts. I used to own an early A-5 blacktop (# 15 ?) and later Wil sold me his personal instrument, again a blacktop A-5, # 59, which I still play. Great axe for all kinds of music.

IŽll try to upload photos later, but IŽm digitally challenged......

Chris Biorkman
Feb-06-2009, 4:24pm
Does anybody have any pictures of his recent F models?

LVH
Feb-06-2009, 4:47pm
I hope this works. Kimble style J #53 april 04

Gary

Gary,
Seeing pictures of your kimble just makes me want to play it again! the show at the green bean was fun and We gotta jam soon. pleasure changing strings for you!:mandosmiley:

Michael Cameron
Feb-06-2009, 6:07pm
Wil is a great guy and builds terific instrumwnts. I used to own an early A-5 blacktop (# 15 ?) and later Wil sold me his personal instrument, again a blacktop A-5, # 59, which I still play. Great axe for all kinds of music.

IŽll try to upload photos later, but IŽm digitally challenged......

Klaus,it may be rather obvious that I have a true weakness for blacktop mandolins,especially Kimbles,since,I,(ahem) have the very first blacktop Kimble in #12(Vincent).

woof

Will wasn't too thrilled about black mandolins,at first. Well,that was a good while ago;my "sometimers" disease may be at work here.

Anyroad,hope you can get some pics into "photobucket" or somewhere;upload them there. Then it should be fairly easy to place them here at the Cafe.

Is Kimble #15 in Austria?

Looking forward to seeing(hearing) #59 ! Oh,yeah.
PLEASE?

Michael Cameron
Feb-06-2009, 6:11pm
I see there's a Kimble F in the Classifieds. Would that be a Kimblectomy?

Not just a Kimble F-style;it has birdseye maple back&sides! It's BLONDE.

GREAT time to NOT be mandolin-poor. waaah,poor,poor,pitiful me.

Oh,wow is me.

Klaus Wutscher
Feb-07-2009, 7:39am
Is Kimble #15 in Austria?

My old Kimble lives in france now, and is taken well care of by Christian Seguret, a great player.

Still working on that photo thing....

Klaus Wutscher
Feb-07-2009, 7:43am
This should be pics of Kimble # 15

Klaus Wutscher
Feb-07-2009, 8:02am
Hey, I can do that photo thing too ,after only 5 or 6 years hanging around here...

This is the only pic I have of my current mando, # 59..... the neck is beefy (which I like) and the extension is scooped.

That was my band at the time, Heartland. Nice band, but it didnŽt last because.... well, you all know how that story goes!

IŽll try to put up a clip later...

sgarrity
Feb-07-2009, 11:19am
Nice lookin' mandos Klaus. I really like the Art Deco theme that Will had going on some of his mandos. there's a two point at Cotten Music with the same inlay scheme.

Michael Cameron
Feb-07-2009, 5:34pm
This should be pics of Kimble # 15

Of course,I think Kimble #15 is way bonita. Even has the "Haircut" headstock like my Vincent;very close to same color back&sides. Beauty!

Kimble #59 is very cool. Thanks for the pics.

Yep. I know that keeping a band together can be difficult. (I'm ok with MY ego.) :whistling:

sgarrity
Feb-08-2009, 6:44pm
I posted a video on YouTube of the Kimble A4

Chris Biorkman
Feb-08-2009, 7:38pm
How do you like it, Shaun?

sgarrity
Feb-08-2009, 8:53pm
It's an exceptional sounding oval hole mandolin. Balanced across the strings, great volume, projects and cuts almost like an ff hole mando. It's got that deep, mellow tone of an oval hole but it's not at all tubby like some of the old Gibbys tend to be. I'm very happy with it!

Chris Biorkman
Feb-08-2009, 8:58pm
Just watched the video on YouTube. Sounds great. Nice picking btw.

Jaakko
Jan-02-2012, 6:34am
Kimble A5 #185 came home today @ Helsinki, Finland.

Bill Bradshaw
Jan-02-2012, 8:32pm
Here is my #136. I like it a lot. I'm playing it differently than my other mando, and am really enjoying the tone. It's plenty loud enough too. My friend who has a Loar says he likes it too, so that's a nice endorsement I guess. I bought it used off the Cafe; what a cool place for mandolin folks.

8040780408Cheers,
Bill