PDA

View Full Version : Levon Helm

mandobob
Jul-23-2004, 9:11am
I keep discovering new gems in the Band's recordings; and recently it's Mr Helm's mandolin. If had to choose a favorite style of how a mandolin could be used in 'rock' (a poor choice to describe the Band I know) it'd be Levon's.
Rag Mama Rag, Evangaline, When I Paint My Masterpiece, even Atlantic City are perfect examples; no ripping, up the neck stuff, just essential, and very musical embellishments.
Don't know who influenced who, but the same could be said for Robertson's guitar parts (Rag Mama being a textbook of a rocking song with THEE most understated electric guitar).
Rant over.

Tom C
Jul-23-2004, 9:16am
<span style='color:brown'>From an artical in Mandolin World News, he basically says he can't really play mando. Being a drummer he says he uses it more for a percussion.</span>

mandobob
Jul-23-2004, 9:23am
Yeah, I actually bought that back issue. I guess that is the 'function' I like about his playing; humility.
Then again I have music major buddy that insists that the Band's harmonies were awful becuse they were theoretically 'challenged'.

Spruce
Jul-23-2004, 10:27am
"Then again I have music major buddy that insists that the Band's harmonies were awful becuse they were theoretically 'challenged'. "

Your friend needs to get out more... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The early days of The Band onstage was probably one of the most interesting lineups I've ever seen onstage.....

They rocked with the usual lineup of Levon on drums, Richard on piano, Garth on organ, Robbie on guitar, and Rick on bass, but for a good chunk of the set in the early days Levon would come out front with an old Gibson F4 and Richard would take over on drums. #It was always my favorite part of their set, and was probably my greatest inspiration in trying to find and old F4, which I finally did in the mid-70's...

I once saw them at the Hollywood Bowl (with Miles Davis opening!), and they turned that huge clamshell of an arena into a small-town pavillion-in-the-park. #I recently got to relive this evening via a well-recorded CD from the 2nd row, and all the magic was intact.

As to your friend who doesn't get their harmonies, mandobob, The Band's singing changed my whole opinion of singing in general. #
Talk about soul...
Those guys poured it out in an age when everything tried to be spot on (Beatles, Everlys, etc.), and it really worked. #Big Pink is probably, in that sense, one of the most courageous recordings every put on vinyl--listen to the middle section of "Chest Fever" for a hint of what I'm talking about.

We need more of that these days for sure...

Christian McKee
Jul-23-2004, 10:50am
Yeah, well I have a music major buddy who takes the opposite point of view, and my friend happens to be right, which gives his claim that added oomph... When I finally got turned on to these guys beyond The Weight, Danko instantly became my favorite male rock singer, bar none. He's got everything: passion, soul, vulnerability, balls, everything I want in a male singer. See It Makes No Difference for an example.

Christian

Tom C
Jul-23-2004, 10:56am
I only got to see them after they got back together in 1982(?). It was their second show (the first was in CA). In was in Pougkeepsie NY -The Chance -about 250 people and it was Incredible. The energy was so high Rick Danjo was pumping his arm in the air and the crowd went nuts for 15 minutes after the opening tune. Robbie Robertson was a big loss to them but Richard Manuel sang so many of the great tunes that once he passed on, I no longer can call them "The band".

mandobob
Jul-23-2004, 11:33am
RE: It Makes No Difference; I had overlooked that tune until reading an interview Elvis Costello did where he put that song at the top of all time great vocals. Not sure Elvis has ever said anything truer.
and RE: Music Major bud: I actually witnessed him play Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" 3 and half times in a row at a BBQ; singing all 7000 "you can fell it all over"s until his wife pulled the plug (literally).

kvk
Jul-23-2004, 12:24pm
Anyone know where (what album? show?) is a recording the Band doing Evangaline and/or When I Paint My Masterpiece with mando?

-Ken

Spruce
Jul-23-2004, 12:59pm
"Evangaline" is on "The Last Waltz", and is a studio recording (w/ Emmylou as I remember)...

"When I Paint My Masterpiece" is on "Cahoots", but there are some live versions kicking around that are very good as well, some with Levon on mandolin and Dylan on vocals...

mandobob
Jul-23-2004, 1:55pm
Like Spruce said; the Last Waltz DVD has a staged version fo Evangaline too.
The 2 CD Rock of Ages has Masterpiece too; excellent choice if you lack the individual albums.

jim simpson
Jul-23-2004, 3:30pm
I remember seeing the band just after Robertson left. It took two new guitarist to replace him. They put on a great show. I still think they were one of the best bands.
I like the Gibson Brother's take on Ophelia.

pathfinder
Jul-23-2004, 11:58pm
God bless The Band. #Their harmony when they were backing Danko on the chorus of "It Makes No Difference" was superb. #

And "I Shall Be Released" remains one of my all-time favorites; Dylan wrote it, but Richard Manuel owned that song when he sang it. #IMHO.

ira
Jul-24-2004, 11:15am
the band were amazing and created a unique sound in popular music. all so diverse in their talents. they definitely showed that passion and the right blend of tune, musicianship and collective effort are often far more important than being a virtuoso. i love their "harmonies" (often just singing together and not attempting harmony which was just fine with me), and all of their individual instrumental styles.

om21ed
Jul-25-2004, 8:01pm
anybody tabbed out Levon's mando on these tunes ? ' just hopin'

Tom C
Jul-26-2004, 6:45am
" remember seeing the band just after Robertson left. It took two new guitarist to replace him."
-The Cate Bros. I believe. +they had another drummer.

Bren
Jul-26-2004, 8:28am
Very timely thread as I have just been listening to them again after my teenage son discovered them. The Basement Tapes has been playing in my car for a while: Aint No More Cane is a great mando/accordion sound. Big Pink came out of that period. It was just so different to anything else at the time, still sounds in a place by itself.
I saw Levon with the Cate Bros and Duck Dunn years ago in Austin Tx. He played a lot of mando; although he never attmpted to be a "mandolinst" he had a strong expressive style which must have influenced many people. I loved their "harmonies" - three or four very different voices. Although my philistine little sister once commented of their straining voices: "They sound like they're trying to have a sh#t". Sorry about that; I'm stuck with that image now....

adgefan
Jul-26-2004, 9:33am
When I finally got turned on to these guys beyond The Weight, Danko instantly became my favorite male rock singer, bar none. #He's got everything: passion, soul, vulnerability, balls, everything I want in a male singer. #
I expressed that exact same sentiment to some friends recently and they thought I was mad! I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this way about Danko. Levon Helm and Richard Manuel were not far behind either.

I think my favourite Band song would have to be the version of The Weight they did with the Staples. I didn't think rock 'n' roll was allowed to sound that soulful http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandobob
Jul-26-2004, 11:11am
om21ed, and anyone else interested;
from the Band homepage (http://home6.inet.tele.dk/thomasho/bandtabs/archive_mandolin.htm)

SteveW
Jul-26-2004, 11:15am
Just to toss in my .02 -- I think the Band comprised five of the most talented musicians to ever form a rock (or whatever) band. It is rare in the extreme to find a band with three vocalists who were so individually distinct and yet able to meld into something greater than the sum of their parts. I'll take their rough and ready harmonies any day over the more polished three-part singing you get in a Crosby, Stills and Nash type group. Each of the band's singers was wonderful in his own way. But my favorite will always be Richard Manuel -- before his voice gave out in the Band's later years, he had one of the sweetest, most soulful voices I've ever heard.

jim simpson
Jul-26-2004, 4:45pm
Some time back (many years) I was in Bethel/Woodstock area visiting with friends when I suggested we go look for Big Pink. Someone told us where it was and we made our way nervously down a private road that several houses shared. Then suddenly there it was, I went up to the house and the owners said they didn't mind me having my photo snapped standing in front of it (same view as from the album). They said they often get groups of Japanese tourists who seek it out!

mandogrouch
Jul-26-2004, 7:16pm
I must emphatically agree with Spruce et al about the genius of those guys and, I could rave on, but I wanted to add that I believe that Garth was classically trained and was quite gifted, so I don't believe one could say they were "challenged". Well that and the shear talent of the rest of the group, each and every one. I was always partial to Levon; I still think of him as one of the most solid drummers I ever saw/heard. Great vocals, too. I never saw him play the F4, but he had an EM200 on the Last Waltz I believe.

Jon Hall
Jul-26-2004, 7:54pm
Man does this take me back. I saw them play a 2-1/2 hour show in Houston in '70 right after Stagefright was released.
Levon played mandolin on at least two songs that night; Rockin Chair and Rag Mama Rag.

Do any of you remember Daniel and the Sacred Harp? I don't remember if there was a mando in the mix but it would sound great on that song.

No More Cane on the Brazos is a classic. It's worth buying The Basement Tapes for that song alone. I cross the Brazos river frequently and think of that song every time.

Dagger Gordon
Jul-27-2004, 12:32am
In Britain a few years ago there was a TV series of classic albums. One week it was the second album The Band. Tremendous, interesting stuff. They had interviews with all the members except Richard (Rick was still alive, but I must say he didn't look well).

Robbie was actually in a studio with what seemed to be the original tapes.
He would say 'Listen to the bass here' and turn it up. Fascinating to hear it from his point of view, to see what he thought made it tick.

It also had very detailed descriptions about their whole approach to songs like 'King Harvest has surely come', which they seemed to think was one of their best. This was certainly not rough and ready stuff.

I find myself surprised to see words like 'challenged' and 'rough' being used here. This was a truly outstanding band who knew exactly what they were doing, and I loved their singing.
I'm afraid your music major buddy who thought they were awful just didn't get it.

mandogrouch
Jul-27-2004, 3:58am
That is funny. One of the small groups I play with has a guy with a MS in music. It's interesting that he's the only one who can't carry a vocal line, and he's also the only one who cannot improvise to save his life (if it's not on paper, he can't play it). I know he doesn't represent all music "professionals" but still....

AlanN
Jul-27-2004, 4:06am
Several years ago, the Band (what was left of it) played a county fair in NJ. I brought my F-4 to show Levon, but I couldn't get past the bodyguards. Oh well, they rocked anyway.

Fretbear
Jul-28-2004, 12:33am
For further interest, check out Levon's autobiography "This Wheels on Fire" and never forget, except for Levon from Arkansas, they were all from Ontario....

madog99
Jul-28-2004, 9:17am
Ok that's it , I'm digging out Jericho to play Atlantic City ! That's my sort of style or what I hope will be my style one day ! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mandodoc
Aug-20-2004, 5:22pm
Just an added item, Levon was awesome in the movie "Coal Miners Daughter".
The Band is most excellent. Another great album is Robbie's solo with the song "Somewhere down the Lazy River" (I hope I got that right, and the name of the album escapes me at the moment - Senior moment that is....)
jon

Professor PT
Sep-06-2004, 11:21pm
Yeah, it's actually "Somewhere Down the Crazy River," from his first solo album simply titled "Robbie Robertson." When I was younger--a teen--I really disliked The Band. I always thought they sounded too "folky." Ah, but now I'm in my mid-thirties and know better. We improvised a version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" the other night at band practice. It's a great song, one of their best. I still don't have "Big Pink"; I've got to check that out soon.

erick
Sep-08-2004, 10:32pm
Levon once did a drum session in my studio for a band who hired him for the day. On a break I gave him a couple of mandos and a Rigel mandola to check out. I watched his hands and saw chords I'd never seen before, real simple, earthy sounds with strong accents. The group ended up asking him to play on a couple tunes! It was a very moving experience.

Anyone hear how he's doing lately? I heard he wasn't well....

mandobob
Sep-09-2004, 8:12am
As of last summer he was thin and frail and not singing, but still getting around well.
His drumming style has seemed to have changed; almost more muscular (that summer day anyway).

SteveW
Sep-10-2004, 12:06pm
Here's a link to a story about what Levon is up to these days.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site....1&rfi=9 (http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1769&dept_id=74958&newsid=12851079&PAG=461&rfi=9)

jim simpson
Sep-10-2004, 8:11pm
It's a bummer to hear about Levon's financial troubles. I guess it's not just bluegrassers who don't make the big bucks. I really enjoyed my one time of seeing Levon and the Band in performance.

SternART
Sep-10-2004, 9:03pm
When I read This Wheels On Fire (great book BTW) I was surprised to hear that they were so strung out on hard drugs.
I'm pretty sure they earned the BIG bucks.....just some musicians are better at holding onto it. Bad advisors in their case.

They used to play outdoor gigs at Stanford, sometimes the same bill with the Dead, and never failed to rock the house.
I liked the way they tossed around the vocal parts......best tour I ever saw of Dylan had the Band opening and then
backing him. Same era as the double live album.

Boombloom
Sep-11-2004, 4:34am
I think I saw the F4 in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. It was the only mando I recall having seen there.

Garrett
Sep-11-2004, 5:37am
I love them. Particularly partial to Levon and Garth Hudson. Levon is my favorite drummer, he has #"fonk" equal to Ziggy Modeliste of the Meters and his roll fills are incredible. He's my favorite of the singers as well, but I love them all. And Garth Hudson is a genius.

Boombloom
Sep-11-2004, 6:16am
There's a photo of Levon playing a Rigel on the Rigel website!

Spruce
Sep-13-2004, 10:23am
"When I read This Wheels On Fire (great book BTW) I was surprised to hear that they were so strung out on hard drugs."

Hell, I was not naive, but I had no idea of the extent of heroin use in those days right under my nose (no pun intended). #
It's only been the last 10 years or so that we are now finding out what was going down in those days, and to find out that my favorite bands were junking it up to that extent has been very depressing, to say the least...
Garcia had a 20-25 year old habit, for cryin' out loud.

Those were the days that you could just wander backstage and hang with the players, and I saw tons of flagrent drug use. #The backstage scene at Winterland the first time The Band played SF was one of the most hedonistic scenes I've ever witnessed in my life, and a typical Dead show was similar...
Tanks of nitrous, etc. etc.
Yet not one mention or sign of the "H" word, despite the fact that the "C" word was in the press, songs, etc.....
Creepily hypocritical, IMO...

I hear the recent film "Festival Express" is pretty interesting in this regard, with The Band, GD, and Janis "ridin' that train"....

"I'm pretty sure they earned the BIG bucks.....just some musicians are better at holding onto it. #Bad advisors in their case."

That's what split that band...
Robbie copped the royalties and publishing for what was basically a Band effort, which led to a lot of bitterness...

Rule #1: #If you ever start a band and write together, split the royalties and publishing... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Fretbear
Sep-14-2004, 12:18am
Two of the best stories from "This Wheels on Fire" are their reactions to their first big cheques (Levon buys both a six & a 12 string Martin guitar!) and Levon's reaction to his first live concert experience, nothing less than Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys featuring Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs, whom Levon describes as "a real good band....."

plunkett5
Sep-20-2004, 8:57pm
Don't get me wrong, I love Levon and the Band. I think Jerico ranks up there with some of the best of the Robbie era albums, and certain packs one of the best 4 openers in any rock album. That being said, I think the cool mando parts on Atlantic City are from the guy in the Hooters who produced and played on that track. It sure doesn't sound like Levon. The Hooters were/are a great Philadelphia band with cool mando parts abounding. I have a few boots of Levon Helm/ Rick Danko duo concerts and while they are some of my favorite music to listen to, Levon is clearly not a master of the mando.That is their charm, as he is an enthusiastic amatuer who loves the music and is willing to play his best and share with anyone. In his interview in Mandolin World he is typically self-effacing about his ability on mandolin. He really agreed to use it at all with the Band because while he was away. Richard Manuel held down the drum chair and had such an ideosyncratic style that the boys didn't want to lose. God bless him.

Spruce
Sep-21-2004, 10:26am
"I think Jerico ranks up there with some of the best of the Robbie era albums"

Robbie was way gone by then, no?

"Richard Manuel held down the drum chair and had such an ideosyncratic style that the boys didn't want to lose."

I really wish they would have gone that route more often, as much as I love Levon's drumming.
I've been listening to The Basement Tapes a lot lately, and I swear it's Richard on drums for a good chunk of it...
Lovely stuff...

Martin Jonas
Sep-22-2004, 4:33am
I've been listening to The Basement Tapes a lot lately, and I swear it's Richard on drums for a good chunk of it...
Lovely stuff...
All the drumming on the tracks with Dylan is by Richard -- Levon only rejoined later for the tracks by the Band alone (which aren't strictly speaking Basement Tapes at all, but are very nice nevertheless -- I love Katie's Been Gone).

Martin

Ken Waltham
Oct-07-2004, 6:26pm
With the exception of Levon, the rest of the guys were from right near here. Robbie Robertson was from the Six Nations reserve just up the river. When I quit playing Bluegrass music, one of the first groups the new band covered was The Band. I traded in the Loar for an EM200, and am loving it.
As for vocals, and arrangements, I can say from experience, that sound of relaxed loosness, sort of "winging" it comes from a group of great musicians, who made it sound deceptivly simple. Rhythms and timing are another one of their facets that really hard to emulate. They really had it. It's great to see you guys still appreciate such a great unit, and a source of local pride around here.
What a fantastic band.

jim simpson
Oct-08-2004, 5:22am
Ken,
You are so right about the Band's sound of looseness being possible because they were so accomplished plus they all could get in that groove together. I somehow overlooked Moondog Matinee years ago and recently picked up the remastered release with bonus tracks. What gems and a good example of the "looseness" they were so good at. I read reviews of their last couple of recordings that have piqued my interest. I will have to check them out.

Spruce
Oct-08-2004, 9:27am
There are some lovely live recordings that have surfaced in good quality recent years and are worth checking out....

A show from June of '70 at the Hollywood Bowl is one of my favs, with a lot of the material from the first 2 LPs...

Also the outtakes from their live "Rock of Ages" LP are now out and about, and represent a really good period in their history...
There's some of Levon's mando playing on that one too, which is cool....

plunkett5
Oct-08-2004, 10:50am
Spruce- Amen to that Hollywood Bowl Show! "Rocking Chair" live is wonderful. Hearing Jemima Surrender, Look Out Cleveland and other rarities done well. Lots of interesting variations on the more familiar performances on ROA, Last Waltz or Before the Flood of the standard repertoire. (also some astounding guilty-pleasure moments of out of tune Robbie.)

Spruce
Mar-24-2005, 6:20pm
The man with the F4....

luckylarue
Mar-25-2005, 1:09am
A couple of Band tidbits:

If you haven't seen "Festival Express" yet, get it. Some great Band footage as well as a priceless scene w/ Danko and Janis, Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia jamming together on the train and achieving lift-off!

Also, the latest Drive-By Truckers cd contains a tune titled, "Danko/Manuel".
"Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold.
Maybe I can only hear it in my head.
Fifteen years ago we owned that road
now it's rolling over us instead."

grsnovi
Apr-01-2005, 6:44pm
Levon and Garth were both on the pseudo-Hooters project: LARGO with Rob and Eric (as were a host of others - great recording that was performed live once at THE BOTTOM LINE in NYC as I recall). This is from several years back.

jim simpson
Apr-01-2005, 6:57pm
Just picked up the first volume set of SCTV on DVD. Great performance of Levon with the Cate Brothers. They do Summertime Blues as well as some other tunes.