PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone MM70 ?

lindensensei
Jul-23-2004, 8:41am
Hi all,
I've owned an Epiphone MM70 for over 20 years. #It is truly beautiful and amazing to play. #I've tried researching but can find no info on it. #All I see are MM30 and MM50. #Anyone? #Anything?
thanks

grandmainger
Jul-23-2004, 8:47am
See this link (http://www.geocities.com/guitarchuck.geo/) and this one (http://members.aol.com/teesch/Jethro.html)

HTH

Germain

lindensensei
Jul-23-2004, 8:54am
I had no idea Burns played one. Maybe I'll keep it instead of that garage sale my wife keeps talking about..."why do you need so many..?"
Thanks

superc_1
Jul-26-2004, 9:25am
I HAVE A MM-70 AND COMPARED TO A LOT OF NEWER MANDOLINS OUT THERE THIS IS THE BEST OUT THERE. THE SOUND AND TONE IS FIRST RATE AND THE CRAFTSMANSHIP IS TOPS. I THINK WE SHOULD GET MM-70 CLUB GOING?

Rooster
Jul-27-2004, 12:46am
I bought an MM 70 in the summer of 1982 after working a summer job. It was my first F model mando and I just haven't been able to part with it despite purchasing three additional mandos in the last two and a half years. It is well made and has always had a nice tone. I have tried to get info on it several times here on the cafe but couldn't seem to generate any interest. My impression is that the MM 70 is somewhat rare. I would be interested in getting any additional information about the mandolin. My eight year old has laid claim to it in the meantime! I won't let him play my custom models yet. Thanks for the posts.

lindensensei
Jul-27-2004, 6:56am
Well, Great!
I had no idea. #I've been looking for info on this MM70 for 10 years. #Other than the Jethro Burns link I have not heard anything. #My local Gibson repair shop says it was made in Japan when they were really trying to create fine instruments. #He says it was all hand made and that the Japanese luthiers were selected because they were the best available. #I don't know how accurate that is or what its worth. #I like mine, but although it is not a Gibson by any stretch in tone, it plays better than any Gibson I have ever found. #

And no, I would not ever sell it. #I'd trade it for a recent F5 fern, though.