PDA

View Full Version : Calton v. Pegasus cases

Sadee
Jan-04-2009, 11:14am
I'm interested in upgrading my standard F-style TLK case and would like to love to hear from those of you that have either of these cases. What made you pick one above the other? Advantages/disadvanges of either cases? I've heard of a couple of instances where the Calton had damaged the F-style headstock, so that concerns me but hopefully that is something they've been able to fix. Any pictures of your cases would also be great if you'd like to share those too. Thanks in advance!

Ray(T)
Jan-04-2009, 11:32am
In the UK, where Keith Calton has been manufacturing his cases since the 70's, they are all custom made to fit your specific instrument. Damaging headstocks shouldn't be a problem as the measurements taken include the size/shape of the headstock together with the width of the tuners and the case innards are designed accordingly. Whether this holds for the franchised cases sold in the US I can't say but, from what I've seen, it appears that you can simply go out and buy one. If an off the peg model doesn't fit properly, that's your look out!

Keith's cases also seem to be cheaper in the UK but I'm not sure whether he is perpared to ship to the US - you can always ask.
Ray

LVH
Jan-04-2009, 11:33am
What kind of mandolin do you have? What are the conditions you are traveling with? if you are flying alot? is the humitity and temperature bad where you live or mostly are?

Sadee
Jan-04-2009, 11:44am
Luke - I have an Altman F-style mandolin. I'm looking for added protection for the mandolin in general... i.e. taking it to jam sessions, festivals and minimal travel via flying (I'd keep the mando in the overhead storage).

Chris Biorkman
Jan-04-2009, 11:45am
I've heard of multiple board members having their headstock scroll broken when their Calton was dropped.

LVH
Jan-04-2009, 11:49am
I personally like Caltons alot. Both are outstanding cases. But I prefer calton. Pegasus might have a little more storage. Never heard about the cases hurting headstocks. If this is true than I'm sure calton Fixed it. Calton's are built for flight cases. but they help much more than that

mandroid
Jan-04-2009, 1:25pm
Pegasus F bulbs out around the head, so is wider inside. if not in UK, currency exchange rate adds to cost.
no straight sides, so closure has 2x as many latches.

In the past I've seen [here] a Mandola Calton shell which is a different mold, than the mandolin one,
ordered with a liner installed shaped for a mandolin, so offers more space for thicker padding..

that would be in the custom build queue, rather than at a dealer, in stock, of course.

Bob A
Jan-04-2009, 1:48pm
I have one of each. I got the Pegasus because it was going to be more quickly available than the Calton; then I got a Calton specially sized for a L&H style A.

Both are fine cases, both weigh about the same, I have no headstock issues with the L&H, both have nice heavy hardware. If you like latches, the Peg has 6, the Calton only 3. Pegasus is more ergonomic of you plan on shoulder carry. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other.

danb
Jan-04-2009, 2:47pm
I've had both, kept the pegasus. I like it because you can carry it hanging vertical between your arm and body, and the curves of the case are much easier on your back and side as you carry it than the sharper edges of the Calton. I've never checked either one in luggage, always carried them on.

I also liked the idea of the "marshmallows" that stabilize the peghead from whiplash.

They're both fairly heavy though, enough so that you might consider using a travelite or other lightweight case as an alternative for more controlled settings like driving to a jam, etc. The full flight case treatment is usually best reserved for.. well.. flights I suppose!

Both cases are fun as they get raised eyebrows at festivals etc when folks smell something good!

Brad Weiss
Jan-04-2009, 2:54pm
They're both fairly heavy though, enough so that you might consider using a travelite or other lightweight case as an alternative for more controlled settings like driving to a jam, etc. The full flight case treatment is usually best reserved for.. well.. flights I suppose!

Both cases are fun as they get raised eyebrows at festivals etc when folks smell something good!

Not to directly answer your question, but I would put any mandolin I had in a Travelite under any conditions. I have it on good authority they're the only case Lynn Dudenbostel ships in...

jim simpson
Jan-04-2009, 3:04pm
I wish there was a hybrid Travelite style case that had latches instead of a zipper. I suspect designing one that features latches and light weight could be challenging.

mandroid
Jan-04-2009, 3:18pm
I like the way the Peg carries when I go via my bike to what opportunity to play comes up locally.
[When my picking buddy is not driving the both of us there]
hangs vertically, strap over my left shoulder and across my chest.
the curved backside of the case fits comfortably against my back.

my EM-150'd A50 came in a Calton , so it, with the AC-60 in its padded case,
make a nice pair in the 2 wheel bicycle trailer..

I expect Lynn D ships his Freshly minted Mandolins double boxed, the Travelite inside a larger carton, with a good layer of styro-Pnuts around it ?
I wouldn't just wrap an address tag around the handle and call it good , for something in that price-range.

.. but if always getting onboard early enough to score space in the overhead compartment , it probably is fine for accompanied luggage.

Gaskets on Fiberglass cases do keep the fuzzy stuff inside nice and dry. as well as the instrument .

MikeEdgerton
Jan-04-2009, 3:27pm
If you'd like to see some earlier discussions of the same thing check out these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=Calton+Pegasus&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) threads.

mandotool
Jan-04-2009, 3:59pm
I use both Pegasus and Calton and prefer the Peg...
I had a f style Peg. case made w/ an additional D-ring added near the lower point..
you can sling it over your back..messenger bag style..and have two hands free for biking..etc..works like a champ..
Also had the interior sized a bit larger to fit a 20's snakehead...and as a result.... it also fits an F-5 w/ tonegard attached very nicely...
I think most would consider Calton and Pegasus to be comparable in terms of safety....maybe Calton would have a slight edge in a major catastrophic event..
hope not to find out..fingers crossed..
Anyone know the latest on U.S. Pegasus production?

bones12
Jan-04-2009, 5:00pm
I have both a Calton and a Pegasus for both old and new F4s and use them both a lot. Most of the time they get put in and out of cars and they both do well for protection. When I have to carry one for a while, I choose the Peg because I like the "balance" of it from my arm or shoulder. However. with that said,I still use the ca 1923 cases as well. Doug in Vermont

Spencer
Jan-04-2009, 5:24pm
I've had a Pegasus for quite a while, and am very pleased with it. I have toted my mandolin around a lot at festivals and such, and it is very comfortable to have over my shoulder and out of the way. There is also a lot of room for stuff in such a compact case.

I never had a Calton, but the ones I've seen looked rather bulky. The Pegasus goes well in overhead compartments on airplanes.

Spencer

goose 2
Jan-04-2009, 9:51pm
I have had both Calton and Pegasus cases. I prefer the Pegasus hands down mostly because it is so easy to carry. I also feel that the instrument is better protected because of way the mandolin is suspended in the case. My next favorite case is the Travelite case. I actually checked a very nice A style mandolin through baggage from Dallas to Nairobi, Kenya in a Travelite. (I had no other choice and I really wanted a mandolin to play while there for a month). The mandolin was not even out of tune when I inspected it after the flight.

Big Joe
Jan-04-2009, 10:59pm
I like the pegasus better for several reasons. The size of the Pegasus is such that it will fit in the carry on requirements for air travel. The Calton is too thick. While you can usually carry it on board, it is larger than the specs. The new Pegasus will be the same essential size as the current Pegasus, but will be much lighter. While it has been some time since we have spoken about it, it really is close to production.

jasona
Jan-04-2009, 11:02pm
I was wondering about its status Joe. Glad to hear its coming soon!

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-04-2009, 11:19pm
I have a Calton and it travels the world safely on flights. Never had a problem getting it on board.

Lynn Dudenbostel
Jan-04-2009, 11:32pm
Good evening.... yes, I do ship new mandolins in Travelites, however, they are in a double wall box with peanuts all around. I think they are a great case for this application, and for 90% of what most of us expose our instruments to. I would NOT want to check one as baggage though! One of the big attractions for me when shipping a new instrument is how lightweight they are. I can't help but think if you drop a box that weighs 10 pounds, the impact isn't near as bad as when a box that weighs 17 pounds is dropped. This is about the difference (as I remember it) between the two packages.

Concerning the Calton and Pegasus, I own both. My A-5 stays in the Calton, and my F stays in the Pegasus. Overall, I like the Pegasus better, and Sam Gifford is a great guy. I've repaired peghead scrolls that were broken off in Caltons and would exercise great caution when putting an F-5 in one. Look to see if the peghead scroll rubs the inside of the case when you put the instrument in or take it out. It doesn't do this on all Caltons, but it does on many of them.

Lynn

Lynn Dudenbostel
Jan-04-2009, 11:35pm
Oh yes, I see the zipper on the Travelite as a plus. There are no latches to hang up on conveyers and such if it was checked as baggage. Never seen a zipper on one open by accident. You have the zipper around it, a latch in the front, and a velcro closure over the latch. Pretty secure.

Lynn

Mike Bunting
Jan-04-2009, 11:39pm
I've had a Calton for close to 15 years and have no mando problems, mine was custom fitted as recommended, and as to size, I've never had any problems carrying it on local and international flights. I have a mando on order that will come with a Pegasus so I'm looking forward to comparing the 2 cases.

danb
Jan-05-2009, 5:54am
What I've heard about the new Pegasus cases does sound great- the weight is always the part of a flight case that you struggle with.

It depends what kind of elements you have outside your control really to say if you need one. I take mine around London on trains, the tube, airplanes etc fairly often. Basically I'm often in situations where there are bustling crowds, closing doors, luggage racks etc.. so a flight case is almost the only sane choice. I would occasionally take various vintage hardcased mandolins around town, but I'm frequently worried about bumps on walls doors etc!

D C Blood
Jan-05-2009, 7:21am
I have a Peg now, but I've had a Calton in the past. I am very happy with the Peg, both for protection, and for the way it looks. I also had a Presto, which is fantastic for protection, but if you travel with it, there might be a problem with getting it in the overhead...great storage space in the Presto. OK in the Peg. Also, you wouldn't want to carry a Presto around a festival all day...

jealbe49
Jan-05-2009, 8:11am
I have not had a Pegasus, but am very happy with Calton's. I also use Colorado or small dog case covers....

Dale Ludewig
Jan-05-2009, 8:34am
I've got both. Even a Calton case for a guitar - boy is that heavy. When I fly, I always take the Pegasus. It's just lighter and well, sexier. I don't know if it offers more protection. And as Lynn said, I would never check a mando in a Travelite. In fact, I don't check my mando ever. I've never been asked to. In fact I was told once that they wouldn't let me.

jasona
Jan-05-2009, 10:15am
Good evening.... yes, I do ship new mandolins in Travelites, however, they are in a double wall box with peanuts all around. I think they are a great case for this application, and for 90% of what most of us expose our instruments to. I would NOT want to check one as baggage though! One of the big attractions for me when shipping a new instrument is how lightweight they are. I can't help but think if you drop a box that weighs 10 pounds, the impact isn't near as bad as when a box that weighs 17 pounds is dropped. This is about the difference (as I remember it) between the two packages.
I shipped my mandolin in a Travelite for work on the neck and the reply I got from the luthier, who is really used to receiving instruments packed in Caltons, was that my package was so light he thought I forgot to pack the mandolin in it!

jimbob
Jan-05-2009, 12:30pm
I have a couple of Pegs....like them very much. They are well built and fit the instrument nicely. The only thing that I sort of miss is a little more room to carry stuff. I have a Small Dog case that has a pocket, but it's a hassle to put on and take off, so I don't use it much. Never had any experience with a Calton, though they look nice....and have no "r"....

Steve Perry
Jan-05-2009, 1:42pm
If I were to spend that kind of money on a case (and, I'm not)... I'd go with the Pegasus. Only because of the cool plaid interiors you can get!:grin:

They just look so cool!... and opening one up would always remind me when Johnny Carson would come out for his monologue with a new sport coat on. He'd always look over at Doc and give him a peek at the wild lining inside.:whistling:

Michael Cameron
Jan-05-2009, 2:46pm
Whether or not Calton has addressed the problem of the F5 headstocks being too close to the side of the case, I don't know.

When I talked to them about my Gilchrist F5's headstock scroll being broken in one of their cases,they seemed not to believe it.

Charlie Derrington did a perfectly invisible job fixing the headstock. It cost a little more to fix than I paid for the Calton Deluxe(double-walled),tear-drop shaped case.

I sold all of my tear-drop shaped Calton cases(3);and,carry F5s in Pegasus or in a Calton,rectangular case(really heavy and super tough).

Not bashing Calton;but,if I had an F-style Altman I,personally,would not be putting it in a tear-drop style Calton. Once bitten...

If you have an A5-style mando,the Pegasus,A-style case would, definitely, be my #1 and only choice. I have a Tangerine Pegasus,A-style. Best case,all things considered,I have ever used. I always use a cover to protect the Peg's pretty finish and color.

Those Altman mandos sure look sweet!

Trip
Jan-06-2009, 1:14am
I like the pegasus better for several reasons. The size of the Pegasus is such that it will fit in the carry on requirements for air travel. The Calton is too thick. While you can usually carry it on board, it is larger than the specs. The new Pegasus will be the same essential size as the current Pegasus, but will be much lighter. While it has been some time since we have spoken about it, it really is close to production.

Joe........
Look forward to seeing the new production, what will make it much lighter?, does that mean it will not be as thick a fiberglass exterior I suppose, yet still appropriate for a flight case?.....and we all hope the price is lighter.....haha!

Mike Bunting
Jan-06-2009, 1:30am
If I were to spend that kind of money on a case (and, I'm not)... I'd go with the Pegasus. Only because of the cool plaid interiors you can get
With the Peg for the mando I've ordered, I was advised not to order the plaid as the material might be too harsh for the varnish finish. As for weight, I don't find my Calton to be any heavier than the Loar style case that I have, the Calton guitar case, on the other hand is a beast.

AlanN
Jan-06-2009, 4:59am
If Calton has not addressed the headstock issue, shame on them. And if they deny that the issue even exists, double shame on them. There have been too many disasters in that regard to pretend there is nothing there.

Seems Peg is the winner here, at least on this thread.

Brad Weiss
Jan-06-2009, 6:57am
Not to directly answer your question, but I would put any mandolin I had in a Travelite under any conditions.

Ok, I take it back: I would not check my mandolin on a flight in a Travelite - but I would not check my mandolin EVER, so I can honestly think of new real world situation where I wouldn't be comfortable with the Travelite. Oh- if I were a pro and I had roadies heaving around flight cases backstage, then I can see having a flight case. That's not part of my real world!

I think the Pegs look a whole lot nicer, and that's about all I can contribute to the Peg v Calton question.

danb
Jan-06-2009, 7:24am
I think it's quite important to have your case fitted to your exact instrument. My pegasus had an adjustment made when it went from carrying an F4 to an F5 (narrower neck, peghead back further!). I would advise that if you are going to spend the money on a flight case, make sure it's a custom-fit to your instrument.. F5 specs vary much more widely than you may think, by as much as an inch which is miles in a case. You want it to fit completely snug with no contact/transmission of force possible on the peghead scroll, but also you want it to not rattle in the case *at all*. When I use vintage hardshells, I am always putting in cloth/towels/rags etc for extra padding to make sure things are tight.

I've made a number of cardboard cutout "simulators" for this purpose, to test fit in a case

Mandobar
Jan-06-2009, 7:53am
peg is not without it's issues either. there were some issues with the interiors coming away from the shell too. i have the mandola sized calton fit for an F5. i would not be without it. that said i have a bunch (yes, i have more than one) of the teardrop cases. most of these have A models in them, but i do have my much bandied about MF in there, but have had no issue to date.

as for the Calton guitar case, well, some of those Gibson tan cases are heavier.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-06-2009, 8:23am
I've dropped my Calton more times than I care to think about. The scroll is still intact. It's my understanding that the problem was a rivet on a hinge that was addressed a long time ago. In going through the old threads you'll see that explained again and again. It's the mindset that will never be changed and is often repeated by those that have never owned either case. I'll be honest, I like the way the Peg's look, but I don't think even I would spring for the price difference between the Pegasus and the Calton. Buy the best that you can afford but don't just assume that a company like Calton would ignore a problem like this. They are in business to provide protection for instruments. If the tear drop case was inherently evil they would have ditched it a long time ago.

Mandobar
Jan-06-2009, 8:28am
it is my understanding that Al has moved the operations to the other side of Canada (from west to east). someone is going to continue with production and he is going to be doing R&D so perhaps we will see some change in these sooner rather than later, but from what i know of manufacturing (which is not a whole heck of a lot) changing designs and tooling up for these changes to go into production is not cheap nor does it happen overnight.

Steve Cantrell
Jan-06-2009, 8:54am
I had a mandolin shipped in a new Calton last year which arrived with a broken headstock, so maybe that case sat on the shelf for a long time. There was plenty of clearance at the end of the headstock, so the break remains a mystery. I couldn't feel any rivets that might be the culprit. The Calton was sold. Good riddance.

danb
Jan-06-2009, 10:08am
a floating peghead is susceptible to whiplash. I always wad newspaper or cloth around a pehgead, if it's loose in a case for shipping. Probably the case was stood up on end and fell forward.. the nut area is a very fragile spot, if you think of a case falling forward like that, the momentum/weight of the tuning machines want to keep the peghead going forward.. hence I like the "marshmallows" in the pegasus case, or failing that.. balled-up socks around the peghead!

AlanN
Jan-06-2009, 10:20am
This is very good advice.

The one good thing (besides the cool factor) about the 50's brown/pink square case I have is the fact that the headstock rests on an angled 'bed', providing lumbar support for the back of the headstock.

danb
Jan-06-2009, 10:23am
here's More packing advice from Frank Ford (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/Packing/packing1.html).

I've always done my best to follow it

danb
Jan-06-2009, 11:59am
Don't forget that the exchange rate of US Dollar-> UK Pound has swung dramatically in the dollar's favor, that'll shave a large amount of dollars off the price tag of a Pegasus too these days

Sadee
Jan-06-2009, 3:33pm
Thank you everyone for responding to my post... all of your comments were very helpful.

Michael - I'm so sorry about your mando's headstock. I bet you were sick!

Mandobar
Jan-06-2009, 3:46pm
people need to know that UPS requires that the box be able to be dropped (off a fast moving conveyor) 4 feet. now that can really shock a box. that said, i've had two guitars smashed in the last 18 months and now will only ship overnight. both instruments were coming to me from builders and neither survived- one was literally in pieces. both were in cedar creek cases.

unless the instrument fits snuggly in any case there is going to be some shifting and a jolt is going to do some damage.

kyblue
Jan-06-2009, 3:48pm
I don't think even I would spring for the price difference between the Pegasus and the Calton.

Calton's price increased recently, and the exchange rate on the GBP is better, so a revisit is probably in order.

I've had both cases. The Calton I had for my F5, the headstock rubbed against the side. This was a case purchased new about 4 years ago. The Peg I had for F5 and A5 2 pt, and it was great. Custom order about 3 years ago.

The Calton was bulkier and harder to carry. Storage was better in the Peg due to 2 storage areas on the Peg (strings in pocket under headstock.)

I prefer the Peg.

Paula

Sadee
Jan-07-2009, 12:40pm
I contacted Sam Gifford @ Pegasus about his new lighter weight cases and thought I'd share his reply for anyone who may be interested:

"The new case is based on Carbon Fibre instead of Glassfibre and is maybe less than a third of the weight of the traditional Pegasus F case. This would make the case at least as durable as the original and it has been stated that Carbon Fibre can be as much as ten times as strong as Glassfibre, although that might be like-for-like thickness.

The guy to talk to about sales of this new case is called Big Joe Vest and he's at www.bigjoesguitarworks.com in Nashville. He's the sales exec for the new company."

MikeEdgerton
Jan-07-2009, 1:09pm
Joe Vest? I think he owes me money.