PDA

View Full Version : Using an amp with your mandolin

Brazer
Jan-03-2009, 4:57pm
Hi there. I'm new here, and just started playing the mandolin. I'd been playing the fiddle on and off for many years. Some distractions over time. Anyway I like the mandolin and tried a neat way to amplify it.
I use what I have for my fiddle. I use a Signal/Flex SF20 guitar tuner pickup with the suction-cup. I lengthened the cable, making it longer and just stick it on the fiddle, on the bass bar side to the right of the f hole but behind bridge. Not under it.This gets plugged into a Hartke A35 Amp. It works great. I tried it on the mandolin attaching the suction cup to the same area on left of mandolin and presto the best sound coming out of this cheap Sentura F style mandolin.

What do you think?

mandroid
Jan-03-2009, 9:52pm
lots of folks have spoken on the pickup and amp topic, loyalists for many different pieces of gear.

I used my small amp at our friendly round-table jam,today .

my Lebeda with its Original in-bridge pickup or the Mix with It's Schertler PU

can provide enough clear sound with out a lot of playing force.

Roland AC-60 .. Monitor amp as Hearing Aide.
:popcorn: :whistling:

Jim Nollman
Jan-07-2009, 2:11pm
I agree with mandroid about the Schertler. My current amp is a Fishman Loudbox performer, which is tiny at 23 pounds, but 100 watts. The Loudbox seems to have a little more sparkle on the high end than the Roland, although the chorus on the Roland is probably more interesting.