PDA

View Full Version : New mando on the way.

John Bertotti
Jan-01-2009, 10:10am
Just posting because I am excited. I heard and Old Wave I liked so I was going to but it bit then decided that I would rather have it built to my color and other choices. So I am ordering a New old wave. Probably an A, but if I can come up with a bit more I might step up to an F I have a few days to decide. I have the materials to start a build of my own but no time or shop so for now this is the way it has to go. Pic to be posted soon hopefully very soon. A few internet problems have delayed my ordering process but they will be sorted out shortly. Anyway hopefully I will have a little more time to spend here but if not Happy New Year to you all, may it go well.

guitharsis
Jan-01-2009, 10:48am
Congrats, John. Excellent idea! What is your color choice?
It does personalize a mandolin to have your color choice etc. Sometimes though someone finds one already built that is just perfect or maybe doesn't want to wait. That's the hard part. :)

JEStanek
Jan-01-2009, 1:19pm
Congrats. Bill makes an awesome mandolin. And... any chance to interact with him must be the icing on the cake!

Jamie

John Bertotti
Jan-01-2009, 4:24pm
I am hoping this one will be a bit closer to the tone I want. The couple I heard where very nice but I would like it a bit closer to my desires. I think the few changes I asked for will get me there just fine. Plus I'll get the color and look I want. A couple used one in the classifieds had me drooling but they just weren't quite there for me. I sure hope they sell quick for the guys selling them. I prefer rosewood boards and actually think it has a positive effect on tone. So that is one change I am looking for. Nut and bridge material also makes a difference, still some details to work out. I will be impatiently waiting for the internet companies to get Old Wave back going quickly. I am working very hard to step up to an F though we will see.

guitharsis I will be looking for a type of burst just haven't decided on which type yet.

R. Kane
Jan-01-2009, 7:14pm
I have found it entirely satisfactory to send Bill a bottle of single malt scotch of the exact color one seeks him to create. To adequately describe your burst, you might have to send a bottle of bourbon as well.

John Bertotti
Jan-12-2009, 12:51pm
Don't know if I have ever seen single malt the color I am looking for but I will check. I opted for and A oval because I also want to add a piccolo sized instrument, something he will be adding soon! I'll take two A's, normal and piccolo over an F any day! The regular sized comes first then the piccolo. How soon after depends on the economy of course. Now I have to get some cash to Bill. Then will be the long wait for the first pics! I'll set up a website just for the process if it's ok with Bill.

Lee
Jan-12-2009, 5:48pm
Bill built my Oval A with a one piece bridge. You might ask Bill to supply one of each. It would make for an interesting comparison.

Why do you like the rosewood fretboards?

John Bertotti
Jan-12-2009, 5:54pm
I just like the way it looks. The tone difference between the two isn't enough for me to pick one over the other because I like the tone from both, but for looks, I like rosewood. I also prefer rosewood headstock veneers.

Actually it doesn't matter what type of rosewood I like the looks of most all of them. I like the colors in the woods, the streaking and grain give it character. Ebony just seems so plain as does a plain maple board like on guitars.

A few questions will bug man for a long time like maple or rosewood and Ginger or Maryann. I have rosewood boards and maple boards and ebony boards, I wouldn't kick any of them out as long as they fit in the grand scheme of things. ;)

R. Kane
Jan-12-2009, 6:01pm
John, I hope that you get a chance to meet Bill. I spent a day with him when I took delivery of my second OW at Zoukfest last year, and I'm still smiling. If you happen to have a wedding in your future I can recommend him for the standup routine at the roast, officiating at the ceremony, and/or playing standup bass in the band. The embodiment of versatility, as will be your Old Wave. RK

Ira Chavis
Jan-12-2009, 7:50pm
John, enjoy your new mando-to-be!

John Bertotti
Jan-12-2009, 8:29pm
Someday I hope to meet Bill. I would love to take a vaca and ride my Buell down there. This year vaca is reserved for an adoption in China. Waiting for our daughter is harder then waiting for a mandolin but not by much! I wish the process was quicker the emails back and forth are necessary though. Difficult for me because I'm not a patient man. I would rather get it all sorted out in a few hours rather then days but with two guys working, and the internet and it's inherent problems, we do the best we can.

I have a .mac gallery set up with a few of my instruments in it already so as soon as I can get it to cooperate I will post the link, them there inherent problems at work, you see.

Ira thanks!

John Bertotti
Jan-13-2009, 8:04pm
Well we are going with a rosewood headstock veneer, fretboard, and bridge. I opted for a Celtic cross on the heasstock and oldwave on the back between the tuners. I always liked that idea an am surprised I haven't seen more builders do that. Anyway probably will be in June some time when of is ready.

John Bertotti
Jan-13-2009, 11:51pm
Well this is the URL I will use to post any pics Bill will send me. I do not imagine he will start for a bit till I move up in his que but it shouldn't be to long. Sorry but there is only one mando in there at the moment. I had to use an existing gallery for this since I couldn't get connected long enough to start a dedicated one. So if you don't mind seeing a few amps and guitars there is also a Vega here, this one is bare bones but has an incredible tone.

PhilGE
Jan-14-2009, 11:07pm
Gee, John... what Amp do you use for the Vega? ;)

Congrats on this order. I'm sure you'll be very, very content. Several months ago I shared my OW with a local semi-pro folk musician at a jam. She was very impressed then. A couple of weeks ago, I ran into her and her partner at a contra dance. She introduced me to him as "this is the guy who let me play that amazing (or some other descriptor akin to that) mandolin I was telling you about." Hmmm... no pressure on the poor bloke, eh? :grin:

Looking forward to watching the progress.

John Bertotti
Jan-15-2009, 12:15am
Believe it or not I wouldn't hesitate to play it through the triple xxx half stack, it has an incredible clean channel.
I have played it using a fat head2 mic through a fire box with and without an RNP.
My playing was the only weak link the Vega sounded excellent.

John Bertotti
Jan-20-2009, 10:13am
Bill tells me he bent some side will have pics in a day or two!

John Bertotti
Jan-20-2009, 8:38pm
OK the side I have to choose from are bent. Tell me what you think. I like the middle one and the left one. I think the middle for me.

John Bertotti
Mar-11-2009, 7:44am
Well sorry to resurrect this for those uninterested but I had to share a few more pics. One with the top tied up and a couple of boards and my choice of backs. I have been flip flopping between them but think I have settled on the right one if my change of mind didn't come to late for Bill! I see things in all the backs. The left one has a fat guys face. The middle looks like a little dog to me or and alien and the right one has a little puppy looking over the back seam. I have no lack of imagination. Thanks for plodding along with my deposition have a great day everyone!

guitharsis
Mar-11-2009, 8:02am
Nice choice. They're all so nice; it must've been a difficult choice.

John Bertotti
Apr-01-2009, 10:40pm
Yet again a new pic added.