PDA

View Full Version : Setup and web cam

Kevin Briggs
Jan-01-2009, 9:29am
Hi, folks:

Mando content:
I'm getting a setup! I'm all pumped up about this because it's the first setup I've ever gotten on my Fern. The fella's name is Bob Kane and he is from the Hershey, PA area. He makes fiddles and A style mandolins, and is known locally as being very adept. He is primarily concerned with the way the bridge is not flush against the top of my mandolin. It has a hump in the middle of it, which means there are gaps on either side of the hump.

Non-mando content:
My family and I are trying to set up video conferencing to help close the distance between us. We all have web cams, but don't know how to go about connecting via our web cams. Does anyone know ho to do this?

Rob Powell
Jan-01-2009, 9:51am
Hey Kevin,

Try this : http://www.skype.com/getconnected/

Should help out....

Bill Snyder
Jan-01-2009, 10:20am
I was going to suggest Skype as well.

fishdawg40
Jan-01-2009, 2:15pm
Skype is good. Our family uses it. Now you can take mando lessons from a number of respective players via the internet, one being Mike Compton.

Sean Greer
Jan-01-2009, 3:36pm
Hey Kevin,

Having a setup done is a great idea. I had Michael Lewis do a light setup on my Fern back in August and the small adjustments he made were well worth the expense. He adjusted the truss rod, did some fine tuning to the nut and made sure that everything else was correct. I'm hoping he'll be at the Fall Strawberry this year so that he can tune her up again.

Perhaps you could post a before and after video and let us try to hear a difference from correcting the bridge?

Keep up the good picking!

blueridgemandolin
Jan-01-2009, 5:10pm
Kevin,
We use Skype to talk to one of my daughters friends in Tibet, just like you are talking to her next door it really works great, cheap too you can't beat that.
Dan

Kevin Briggs
Jan-01-2009, 8:05pm
Hey Kevin,

Having a setup done is a great idea. I had Michael Lewis do a light setup on my Fern back in August and the small adjustments he made were well worth the expense. He adjusted the truss rod, did some fine tuning to the nut and made sure that everything else was correct. I'm hoping he'll be at the Fall Strawberry this year so that he can tune her up again.

Perhaps you could post a before and after video and let us try to hear a difference from correcting the bridge?

Keep up the good picking!

Sean,

Thanks. I can't wait. I'm sure you can't top a setup by Michael Lewis either, although Bob Kane has a great reputation locally. I have a bunch of videos of me playing my Fern this past year, from the first day I got it until yesterday. I'll definitely make another one.