PDA

View Full Version : $2000-$3000

big h
Dec-30-2008, 1:06pm
What would be the best mandolin for $2000-$3000?

JEStanek
Dec-30-2008, 1:29pm
Depends on what you want it for? Judging by your previous posts and videos, I'm guessing Bluegrass and Bluegrass Gospel. You want an A or an F? Would you like to have a powerfist afro pick inlaid into the headstock (or any custom inlay)? Do you want a new or used? That Flitiron you have ought to hold its own with almost anything else in that price range.

Or do you want a super cool star shaped e-mando in tribute to Bootsy Collins?

Jamie

sunburst
Dec-30-2008, 1:59pm
The only question that Jamie asked that really doesn't apply is; "an A or an F". The best mandolin, between those two types, in that price range will almost certainly be an A. With a $3000 upper limit, you don't have to lower your quality standards at all shopping for an A.
In other words, an F of comparable quality to a $3000 A will cost you quite a bit more, unless you find the deal of a lifetime.

Big Joe
Dec-30-2008, 10:43pm
For about 1,000 you could buy one of "The Loar" mandolins and put some money in your pocket. The ones I've played have been great for the money and it would be hard to get a better mandolin for 2500. In addition, you get to have a scroll to hold your strap :) .

allenhopkins
Dec-31-2008, 12:19am
Like asking, "What's the best car for $25,000?" Or, "What's the best pair of shoes for $85?" Do you want a crossover SUV, a pickup, a hybrid sedan? Sneakers, loafers, wing-tips, sandals?

Depends on what kind of music you play, what kind of sound you like, whether you want an A style or an F style, whether you want new or used, and a bunch more variables.

My next thread: "What's the best sandwich for $5.99?"

man dough nollij
Dec-31-2008, 12:42am
Pastrami on rye. Extra sauerkraut and pickles. Spicy mustard. Yep.

Trey Young
Dec-31-2008, 10:04am
There is a large pool of independant builders who could do something for you in that price range, especially if you're ok with an A. My Elkhorn A-5 is a wonderful mandolin and would fall in that price range (possibly a bit less) for a brand new one. Just my .02

sgarrity
Dec-31-2008, 10:27am
The one that sounds good and plays good to you.

earthsave
Dec-31-2008, 11:39am
David Harvey had a killer F9 that falls in that range. Make sure you try before you buy to ensure you get the sound you want and it just feels right in your hand.