PDA

View Full Version : Choppy Picking Question

Bob Aliano
Dec-29-2008, 9:51am
As I've built up speed my picking has become mechanical and choppy. Are there any tips on how to smooth it out while maintaining and even gaining more speed? If I accent or slightly synchopate the melody to add expression, does that pull the style away from Bluegrass?

JeffD
Dec-29-2008, 10:13am
I don't play enough bluegrass to become mechanical at it, but I have become somewhat "mecahnical" with some Irish tunes, and some Bach.

I find that it happens for one of two reasons. Either I am playing faster than I can play musically, or I am just "phoning in" the playing - playing without being there in the moment.

The solution for me in the first instance is to slow down just a little, and then to concsiously try and express the tune - try to bring out the dramatic or lyrical aspects of the tune in my playing.

Bob Aliano
Dec-29-2008, 10:24am
You're probably right Jeff, I'm trying to play beyond my current capability. I can slow it down to the point the melody flows smoothly and then slowly bring the speed up as I get more comfortable with the mando. I'm a guitar convert and still getting used to the compressed fretboard of the mando.

San Rafael
Dec-29-2008, 10:40am
"Legato," that's what I want more of, a smoother and more connected style. I work on it all the time. I think much of it is in left-right hand coordination, as well as hammer-ons and p.o.'s, trem, etc.

But then sometimes I just think it's a zone or a flow. Like Ted E. said on the board once, play the mando in phrases, like a horn (or something like that).

earthsave
Dec-29-2008, 11:50am
I find that it happens for one of two reasons. Either I am playing faster than I can play musically, or I am just "phoning in" the playing - playing without being there in the moment.

The solution for me in the first instance is to slow down just a little, and then to concsiously try and express the tune - try to bring out the dramatic or lyrical aspects of the tune in my playing.

Exactly what happens to me when I get in a song that is too fast and also near the end of a long set, when a song gets kicked off way to fast so we can end a show with "energy".