PDA

View Full Version : k&k vs pick up the world

Steve L
Jul-22-2004, 3:41pm
Hi folks,

I'm looking into simple and cost effective ways to amplify my Trinity College Zouk. I already have a Fishman G2 preamp.
I'm curious about sound quality, ease of installation (are both external mounts?), and durability. No drums, bass, or electric guitars in my world these days, so feedback will probably not be a big problem.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Unseen122
Aug-08-2004, 7:58am
I bought a K&K bigshot which is not the best for mando because it doesn't get that great a sound on all the strings but the mando twin they have would be fine the installation is really easy. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Hope this helps.

steve V. johnson
Aug-11-2004, 6:57pm
My Phil Crump B-II zouk has a perfect bridgeplate, just behind the X-braces, for a PUTW #27. Because the #27 that I put in my Santa Cruz OM PreWar guitar sounds so VERY natural, I got another one for the zouk. Installation takes just a tiny bit of fiddling, but once in it sounds "just like the instrument, only louder"!! I love these things, and I am now a loyal user.

For big gigs I put both instruments thru a Raven Labs PMB-II preamp and then into the PA. For smaller ones I still use a mic, and I still carry the mic along for the big ones, but the PUTWs are just fine without a mic.

stv

Steve L
Aug-12-2004, 1:42am
Thanks guys. Am I correct in assuming both of these mount outside the instrument?

Unseen122
Aug-12-2004, 7:35am
There are different models but some do install outside of the instrument. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

steve V. johnson
Aug-12-2004, 7:18pm
The PUTW mounts -inside- the instrument. It's a mylar film pickup that sticks onto the bridge plate (the big wooden piece under the bridge) and has a wire from one end of the film to the endpin jack.

No holes in the top, no exposed wires.

www.pick-uptheworld.com

I love 'em.

stv