PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A-40?

marblehead
Dec-27-2008, 5:33pm
Found this site via Google and am wondering if any of you can help me i.d. my Gibson Mandolin that I acquired from my father. It appears to be an older model (perhaps a Model: A-40 Mandolin Available: 1948 to 1971) based upon the specs I dug up at another site as listed below:
1948 A-40 specs: Symmetrical body, "F" holes, arched top and back, laminated mahogany body with cross brace, clamshell tailpiece, single bound top, rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays, natural or sunburst. A-40 discontinued 1971.

This seems to best describe the instrument but I'd like to know with greater certainty and, of course, am happy to send a front and back pic to whomever might be an enthusiast/collector. The instrument is not for sale as it has family historical value.

The attached pics aren't so sharp but perhaps they will help. I can't find a model number anywhere!

Thanks to all for your time and trouble!

man dough nollij
Dec-27-2008, 5:40pm
Is there any sticker at all inside? Any numbers or writing? :confused:

marblehead
Dec-27-2008, 7:11pm
Thanks for the reply but I can't seem to spot any identifying data through the "f" sound holes. . . Hey, I own 2 Cardigans!

Any further ideas? Maybe I'll look a little harder with a flashlight!

GTison
Dec-27-2008, 8:04pm
it appears to be an A-00 from the late 30's or early 40's. I base this on the color of the back and the type style of the logo on the headstock.

Here's a link with some pictures at the mandolin museum, scroll about 3/4 of the way down.http://home.comcast.net/~ukecat/mandolin/mandos3.html

The difference between them is the wood in the back A-50 is usually figured maple with a colored sunburst similar to the top.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-27-2008, 8:55pm
It's not an A-00. The A-00 had the pickguard glued to the top.

mandroid
Dec-27-2008, 9:09pm
Looks like the back edge is bound, ? , more likely an A50, Birch(?)back.

as [few] A40's I've seen were un bound , sides and back mahogany.

use an inspection mirror to look at the endblock ? underside of the top.. for pencil marks maybe?

MikeEdgerton
Dec-27-2008, 9:12pm
It's not an A-50, it has the inside brace on the back.