PDA

View Full Version : Eastman M815V

Long John
Dec-26-2008, 11:41pm
Hi Folks,
Newbie member here. I've owned a F style Aria Pro II since 1977. I've owned a few Martin Guitars and my favorite is my D18GE.
I've started "relearning" the mandolin and am thinking of upgrading. I've looked at several under $1000.00 and am just not really thrilled with any I've tried. Then I saw the specs on the Eastman M815V, radius fretboard, varnish finish, ect., Its more expensive than I was planning on paying, but I don't need another "Aria" either. Has anyone here played or owns a M815V? What do you think about them?

Long John
Dec-28-2008, 12:56am
Eastman MD815V...56 views and 0 replies...any help, or advise, good or bad would be very much appreciated. I've noticed all dealers advise a set-up, but some even advertise changing the nut and bridge..are these changes worth it?

ManlyMandolinist
Dec-28-2008, 1:40am
I own one and love it. It has a really pretty, balanced tone. I wish it played/sounded a little better past 12th fret, but that's the case with most mandolins under $2-3k I think.

Anyways, it sounds really great and looks gorgeous. I barely put mine down. I also like Martins!

ManlyMandolinist
Dec-28-2008, 1:41am
Also, I really should get a top notch setup done on it... That'd probably make the higher frets sound better.

Steve-o
Dec-28-2008, 11:21am
Long John,
I had a MD515 that I was very pleased with. From what I have read here and experienced, the Eastmans have a lot of sonic variability, both tone and volume, from instrument to instrument. In several threads, the OPs remarked that some of the 515s sounded better than 615s/815s/915s. So my point is play before you buy, and if sound trumps looks/appointments, you may be able to get a decent mando for less money.

northfolk
Dec-28-2008, 11:44am
I previously owned an Eastman 815; I really liked it alot. However, I did have the bridge upgraded to a Cumberland Acoustics, put on a bone nut and had a complete setup done to it. The full list is $1550, most places sell them for $1250. You should be able to find a good used one in your price range. Just a word of caution; the 815V is slightly different than the 815 I had. I have played the 815V and it sounds and plays as well as my 815, however the color of the 815V I played was a very yellow looking sunburst as opposed to traditional looking brown sunburst on my 815. Maybe appearance is not important to you; it is to me however? :mandosmiley:

Long John
Dec-28-2008, 2:05pm
Thanks folks!
I haven't found an 815V locally yet. I think I will hold off ordering one until I do get a chance to see it and play it. Thanks northfork, its not all about the looks but, too "yellow" would be disappointing. I'm really searching for a woody tone I have in my head. I've been fortunate enough to pick several great mandolins, including Dempsy Young's Hutto and Jeff Midkif's Arthur Conner, they practically played themselves and they had a punch I just haven't found on anything else...maybe never will.

RickL
Jan-18-2009, 9:56am
I own an 815-V Adirondack. I purchased the 815v after playing and comparing it with a, MD 615, KM-1000, Weber Bitterroot,a Michael Kelly and finally my friends vintage Gibson A. In my humble opinion, the 815v won hands down. The nut height was right on from the get go. Spent 4 hours with bridge placement using a Peterson strobe and it now intonates perfectly.and sounds amazing. BTW,not to dispute one of the reply's to the OP's querry, but the 815 already has a bone nut and it's MSRP is $1995. Typically sells for around $1550 or so. Again, one person's opinion.

SChase@EastmanStrings
Jan-20-2009, 1:54pm
The MD815/V has quickly become our top selling model. The model was born about 18 months ago and has really developed into a true player in the mando scene in my opinion.
Because the Adirondack top is much stronger, we can carve it thinner and shave down the bracing as well. The ultra light oil varnish helps the instrument breathe better too.
We just showed it at NAMM this past weekend and everyone who played it commented on how great it was. Ted even gave it a whirl was we caught up on things.

RickL
Jan-22-2009, 10:47am
What type of oil finish is applied to the 815V, so as to touch up as needed?

Thanks

The MD815/V has quickly become our top selling model. The model was born about 18 months ago and has really developed into a true player in the mando scene in my opinion.
Because the Adirondack top is much stronger, we can carve it thinner and shave down the bracing as well. The ultra light oil varnish helps the instrument breathe better too.

fiddledoc
Jan-22-2009, 4:59pm
Saw 2 of them sell on ebay recently for under 900 each.