PDA

View Full Version : S101 Mandolins

circjam
Dec-26-2008, 10:49pm
Has anyone ever played or heard of the S101 mandolins? I've tried an A style and it sounds pretty good although I could not get any info on it.

Bill Snyder
Dec-27-2008, 8:19pm
Where did you play it? Was it new or used? If new could the retailer tell you anything about it?

Mike Bunting
Dec-27-2008, 9:37pm
http://www.dannysguitar.com/mandolins-banjos.html
These guys sell them. The lowest priced one is $110, I don't think I'd put too much stock in them.

Mike Bunting
Dec-27-2008, 9:37pm
http://www.dannysguitar.com/mandolins-banjos.html
I didn't get the link right, here 'tis

Steve Williams
Dec-28-2008, 4:36pm
I have one of the electric ones. My wife bought it from Elderly Instruments for me for a birthday present summer before last...so far it's been a good mandolin for the money - it is what it is. Finish and workmanship are surprisingly good on mine, it came with a good setup and it plays easy..I put a set of strings from e-mando on it and that's been it. I've done some shows with a local country band with it and it worked fine, I really don't see much difference in it than most of the similar acoustic/electrics in that price range that I've seen.

Steve Williams
:mandosmiley:

circjam
Dec-29-2008, 1:42am
Thanks guys...I bought it on the road one day on a whim, and sure do enjoy playing it. The craftsmanship is excellent and so is the sound. I compared it to a couple A style Epis, an F style Epi and an ovation, and truthfully the sound and playability of this particular mando seems much nicer. I am a guitar player but now am hooked on mando. Of course I can sense a case of "mas" coming my way soon for a $$$ F style.

allenhopkins
Dec-29-2008, 3:55pm
I compared it to a couple A style Epis, an F style Epi and an ovation, and truthfully the sound and playability of this particular mando seems much nicer.

For all we know, these instrument could be built in the same Asian factory as the Epiphones. Really depends on what nameplate you stick on them.

Chip Booth
Jan-01-2009, 3:49pm
I've played a couple of them and they have been absolutely horrible. No tone of any kind, bottom of the barrel cheap junk. But like any import though, there may be a couple that accidentally turn out as a decent instrument.

Chip