PDA

View Full Version : Old Gibson Mandolin Found in Storage UNit Auction

straycat1
Dec-25-2008, 2:14pm
We found this old Gibson Mandolin in a storage unit auction a few days ago and was wondering if anyone can give us any info and date on it. We would also like to know if it looks like the original case. Below is a link to the pictures;

http://sellmeoff.com//mandolin%20guitar/

Also here are a few details regarding it.

* Handle to case is plastic
* There is a sailboat picture on the back
* Hard to read serial number but it looks like 645x73 (in pen)
* There is a crack on the top

Thanks for your time & help

Ray

mrmando
Dec-25-2008, 3:00pm
The case is not original. Mandolin's from around 1921; case is circa 1950s. The headstock crack can be repaired, but you should not attempt to tune up the instrument or play it until the repair is done by a qualified technician. Label is missing. Binding is missing at the end of the fretboard. The 'X' is not part of the serial number. Appears to be an A2 model in Sheraton brown finish. Doesn't have a lot of value in its present condition, but could be worth $800-900 if repaired. Tailpiece cover and pickguard are missing. Has a rare type of adjustable bridge built to accommodate 2 extra thumbwheels, but one of those thumbwheels is missing. The back may have shrunk away from the binding slightly.

jim_n_virginia
Dec-25-2008, 10:52pm
I have one very similar and with no cracks and in playable condition I paid $950.00 for it. It has all the original equipment except for the pickguard.

re simmers
Dec-26-2008, 10:04am
Unless you intend to sell it, it's worth whatever you think. It looks like a fixable mando. A few years of playing might bright out a unique tone.

danb
Dec-26-2008, 10:10am
It does look repairable. Probably a $100-200 repair for the pegheadand the usual suspects like a loose transverse brace. It appears to have been stored very dry, that's my only worry.

It is indeed a circa 1920-21 A2 model gibson as Martin says above