PDA

View Full Version : Bluett F4?

Steve Stewart
Dec-24-2008, 1:36pm
Happy Holidays all!

I'm looking at a Bluett F4 and was trying to find out more about these mandolins. Thoughts? I'm thinking of selling my Daley to get a nice oval hole. Up to now, I've been looking at Old Wave and Webers

Thanks
:)

Lee
Dec-24-2008, 2:16pm
That one in the classifieds looks like a real nice deal. Bluetts are made up here in York, PA. I've only heard good remarks about them.

Brad Weiss
Dec-24-2008, 2:18pm
Played a Bluett F5 at Mandolin Bros in 2005. Sweet!

LVH
Dec-24-2008, 2:21pm
If you are selling a Daley for an F-4 get a Loar Era gibson F-4. If not that get one from the late teens

Pete Martin
Dec-24-2008, 2:24pm
I haven't played a Bluett but know 2 good players who have and they liked them.

I own 2 Old Waves (dola and octave), as well as terrific Gibson A2 and F4s. If I didn't have such good sounding Gibsons, I would probably own 4 Old Waves. Bill makes the best sounding new oval hole mandolins I have personally played.

The Webers I have played didn't appeal to me as much...

woodysny
Dec-24-2008, 2:40pm
I have played quite a few of Mark's mandolins and they are outstanding mandolins. Great tone and workmanship - every single one. I even owned an F5 for quite a few years. He is probably better known for his violins, but his mandolins are right up there with the best IMHO.

Michael Cameron
Dec-24-2008, 3:05pm
Don't forget about Red Diamond ovals. I played one(A-style) in Don's shop couple years ago that was amazing. Not sure he does an F4-type(?)

RichM
Dec-24-2008, 3:23pm
I owned a Bluett F4 for a while, and loved it. In fact, unless I miss my guess, that very mandolin is currently for sale at Elderly (nothing to do with me, I sold it to a private party about a year ago-- I assume they traded/consigned it to Elderly). Absolutely a top-notch instrument in fit, finish, and tone. It had a very sweet, pure, and refined tone-- not a lot of boisterousness to it, but lots of clarity. Not exactly the old Gibson oval hole tone, but very fine in its own right.

phiddlepicker
Dec-24-2008, 3:49pm
I own one of his fiddles. I can't say enough good about it.

phiddlepicker
Dec-24-2008, 3:50pm
In addition to the one for sale in the classifieds, Elderly had two them the last I checked.

John Malayter
Dec-24-2008, 6:22pm
I'm sorry everyone, I may be missing the point. In Stew's classified add he's selling his Daley and keeping a Weber Fern. I've never played a Weber Fern but have heard many many great things about them, and i've just seen my first Daley last week. The Daley was a monster, simply vibrated all over, woody, loud....The owner said "they all sound like that".

Point being, if thats the case and Stew is keeping the Fern over the Daley I think thats pretty big news for Weber fans.

Ken Olmstead
Dec-24-2008, 7:07pm
I'm sorry everyone, I may be missing the point. In Stew's classified add he's selling his Daley and keeping a Weber Fern. I've never played a Weber Fern but have heard many many great things about them, and i've just seen my first Daley last week. The Daley was a monster, simply vibrated all over, woody, loud....The owner said "they all sound like that".

Point being, if thats the case and Stew is keeping the Fern over the Daley I think thats pretty big news for Weber fans.

I have spent time with both mandolins that Steve has and they are both amazing instruments but different animals all together. The Dailey resides squarely in the "Gibson" camp and it does it as good as any mandolin I have ever played! The Fern brings a whole other game to the table and once addicted, us Fern owners have a hard time living without them! I am certain that if Steve could in good conscience keep both, he would! :)

I also know that Steve has felt the tug of the oval hole for many years. For about the past five years he has had a salivating fondness for one particular premier builder of oval holes. My money is on that maker to supply him with the oval of his dreams!

Steve - the Bluett looks sweet. Do not forget to check out Gail Hester. She has a waiting list but her stuff looks amazing!! However, you have been talking up one brand of oval hole for about 5 years! JUST GO GET ONE ALL READY!!! :))

Steve Stewart
Dec-24-2008, 9:19pm
Ken said it folks. I LOVE the Daley. I just have more of an emotional attachment to the Weber Fern. If I was a pure bluegrasser, I would keep the Daley. I already know I will regret selling the Daley, but the oval bug has bitten, and I need to scratch it! :)) The Bluett on the classifieds looks really tempting, but I've never played a Bluett. Otherwise, I would be tempted to trade straight across...mmm...

Old Waves (that's the make, Ken), have always been my favorite oval. The vintage Webers are nice too. Oh boy do I have an itch for an oval.

Back to the party. Happy Holidays folks!

say 'hi' to the family Ken. Peace all.... :mandosmiley:

Ken Olmstead
Dec-25-2008, 12:51am
Old Waves (that's the make, Ken)

;)

Merry Christmas bro, we miss you guys!