PDA

View Full Version : a holiday diversion

Jim Dalton
Dec-22-2008, 9:01pm
A number of years ago I became aware of the fact that Good King Wenceslas works as a canon in inversion --it was mentioned in Douglas R. Hofstader’s Pulitzer Prize winning book Gödel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid.

Having had a concert postponed due to inclement weather, I decided to work up a version of it as a counterpoint exercise. In the present arrangement, I use the inversion canon between the outer two voices (here, mandolin one and guitar)

I decided to see if I could add two additional canonic voices. These two middle parts are in canon with each other but not with the melody. They are in strict canon through measure 12 but at measure 13 this becomes a canon of pitch with free (non-canonical) rhythm.

The guitar part only goes down to the low "c" of the mandola and therefore can be played on that instrument or an octave mand. or m'cello.

Hope this provides some enjoyment for someone. It isn't a full fledged arrangement -- just a counterpoint exercise, as I said.

John McGann
Dec-23-2008, 7:46am
Cool, Jim!

Neil Gladd
Dec-23-2008, 8:40pm
Thanks, Jim, and here's a little Christmas present from me: An arrangement of Pat-a-pan for voice and mandolin that I did for a concert earlier this month. It starts off high on the A string, and the accompaniment is different for each verse, to add a little variety. Enjoy!

Jim Dalton
Dec-26-2008, 12:04pm
Neil--thanks for the Pat-a-pan arrangement. Very nice!

It's good to have more repertoire for mandolin and voice -- something near and dear for me, as you know...

Jim Dalton

Alex Timmerman
Dec-27-2008, 11:52am
Nice Jim and Neil,

Thanks for sharing this music!

Best greetings,

Alex