PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on Kay brand Mandolins

Howard33
Dec-22-2008, 3:12pm
I am looking to purchase my first mandolin and what is available in my area in my price range are a few examples of Washburn A's and Kay A-model Mandolin. The Kay is selling for $204 and the Washburn's are all in the $250 range.

I have no experience with either, but have atleast been able to find some information regarding the Washburns. From what I understand, their fairly reliable mandolins, even at the low end like these are likely to be. Unfortunantly, I haven't been able to find much of anything other than advertisements on the Kay's aside from commentary on really old examples which this one is most definantly not.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-22-2008, 3:28pm
The new Kay mandolins are simply generic mandolins manufactured in the pacific Rim countries branded with that name brand. From what I've see they are not the best value out there. Wahburn appears to put a little more effort into the mandolins they spec. They are also built in the Pacrim. You might be much better served in this price point if you can find a Kentucky dealer. Check out the Saga Music Website at www.sagamusic.com and see if they have a dealer in your area.

Howard33
Dec-22-2008, 3:47pm
Thanks for the information. I checked the site you listed and the closest place to me does not have any in stock.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-22-2008, 9:44pm
The online retailers that do a setup are probably the best choices for these. Try these retailers:

www.elderly.com
www.themandolinstore.com
www.giannaviolins.com

Howard33
Dec-26-2008, 1:25pm
Mike - I ended up with a Washburn M-ISDL. My wife had one in a gig bag under the tree Christmas morning. She's special like that.;)