PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Larrivee A33

Lawn Jockey
Dec-22-2008, 1:08pm
Well, I swore I wasn't going to do it. Oh well, that shark has jumped.

Just finalized a transaction to get one of the new Larrivee A33's. I love their guitars....and from what I've heard, their mandolins are of the same ilk. I had several dealers compare them to a Collings MT both aesthetically and tonally (to a degree).

With any luck I should be able to give a report shortly after the first of the year. It will ship on Friday after New Years Day.

So, now the wait begins. :crying:

But.....I've got my Poe Scout to keep me company.

Pics to follow a bit later.

Lawn Jockey
Dec-22-2008, 1:21pm
As promised.......

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s314/weleetkaoutlaws/Larrivee%20A33/LarriveeA33FullFront.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s314/weleetkaoutlaws/Larrivee%20A33/LarriveeA33FullBack.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s314/weleetkaoutlaws/Larrivee%20A33/LarriveeA33Back.jpg

RichM
Dec-22-2008, 1:45pm
Looks like you snagged the one at The Mandolin Store... thank you for putting me out of my misery! I've nearly pulled the trigger on that one a dozen times. It looks really sweet, but the last thing I need is another mandolin. Please publish a full report when you receive it... inquiring minds want to know!

JEStanek
Dec-22-2008, 2:02pm
Lawnjockey, You may be the first among us to write a review of the new Larrivees. Please let us know how it turns out.

Jamie

guitharsis
Dec-22-2008, 2:33pm
Wow, Lawn Jockey. You've done well for yourself with two great mandos. Enjoy!
'\

markishandsome
Dec-22-2008, 2:54pm
Looks great. I'm also fond of their guitars.

lyric_girl
Dec-22-2008, 2:59pm
Scott,

Huge congratulations. I KNEW you were gonna end up with a Larri Mando. I'm surprised you lasted this long. Enjoy her.

Lynda

Lawn Jockey
Dec-22-2008, 3:13pm
Looks like you snagged the one at The Mandolin Store... thank you for putting me out of my misery! I've nearly pulled the trigger on that one a dozen times. It looks really sweet, but the last thing I need is another mandolin. Please publish a full report when you receive it... inquiring minds want to know!

Yep....Dennis and Brian worked with me quite nicely. I've been bugging them now on this particular piece for nearly two weeks. I'll bet they're glad that's over. :))

Lawnjockey, You may be the first among us to write a review of the new Larrivees. Please let us know how it turns out.Jamie

Will do Jamie. Ever since the word came down a couple of years ago that they were going to start making A's & F's......I promised myself I'd find a way to get one to at least try out. I'll try and write a decent review (and unbiased).

Wow, Lawn Jockey. You've done well for yourself with two great mandos. Enjoy!
'\

Thank you! I'm not sure the Larrivee *can* sound any better than the Poe....and I highly doubt that it will play any better. I'm hoping the Larrivee is a keeper......but it's a shot in the dark really. Remember, the pioneers take the arrows. ;)

Ken Olmstead
Dec-23-2008, 11:13am
Lawnjockey, You may be the first among us to write a review of the new Larrivees. Please let us know how it turns out.

Jamie

So soon we forget! I got to play an F model and wrote my review here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43572&highlight=larrivee

The thread took a nose dive when the "scroll police" showed up (they have a point in that the scroll is a loose interpretation of a Gibson scroll) but I liked it overall it played well and it was quite responsive. I got to spend some real time with it too. Took it home for a couple days. I will admitt that I like the looks of the A model better but the F model was very nice. Look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Lawn Jockey
Dec-23-2008, 11:40am
Ken, thanks for your review of the Larrivee F. It is the only such review of any of the Larrivee mandolins I've read. It is appreciated.

Since I'm not in the "bluegrass camp"......and read every post in your review.....it has always been about sound/tone to me. I don't have a case of scroll envy that many possess......not that there is anything wrong with that.

The mention of Larrivee guitars not speaking to someone is also very explainable in bluegrass circles. The straight Larrivee D will not compete with the "bluegrass standard" Martin D-28. I would suggest that that poster have a look at the SD Larrivee's (SD-60)......or maybe he already has. They are more in keeping with a traditional bluegrass sound from a guitar perspective. They are also more in line price wise with what they are competing against (Martin D-28)...rather than the standard D-09 Larrivee.

From my understanding......these new Larrivee mandolins will be re-released at the N A M M show in January 2009. Several tweaks have been made since they were introduced (on a limited basis) a year or so ago. The A-33 that was at N A M M last year didn't even have a bound peghead. So little tweaks, aesthetically, are being made....and I will assume......continue until Jean is completely satisfied that he is putting out a product that can compete with Collings, etc. This is also evidenced by his new line of electric guitars. Personally, I don't think for a minute that JCL is going after guitarists with his mandolins. I firmly believe he going after mandolin players.....period. Time will tell.

I'm sure I'll be happy with it. The sound clips of it sound fantastic........and to me anyway.....that's what matters. It never hurts either when you've gotten something for a full $800.00 less than the advertised street price.

I'll write a review.....probably not as detailed as yours after I receive it. At least I won't have to put up with the "scroll police". :)

dochardee
Dec-02-2009, 3:13pm
I won an A33 on ebay last month, a 2009 sold by Galaxy Music. First impression was that this is a very classy looking instrument, with what I was looking for: fully bound, v shaped neck, jumbo frets, cast tailpiece and varnish finish. Tone is in the modern camp, reminds me of a good Collings with a bit more midrange pop. Quite loud. Chop is very good now, should really mature when fully played in. For the $1260 I paid for it, definitely a keeper. I noticed Galaxy just sold another A33 from 2008 on ebay for $1460.

If you like a Collings neck, you will like this one. For someone who is considering buying an MT take a look at an A33 also.

Blueturtleman1
Jan-16-2012, 10:33pm
Hi. I finally got to try a Larrivee F-Style mando. Nice tone, fit and finish, cool woods and color. My only complaint is thay narrow neck at the nut. 1 1/16" makes it though to play down low. I much prefer the more user friendly 1 3/16" like the Gibson San Bush, or Gibson F5 G-WN. Otherwise two thunbs up. Cheers!