PDA

View Full Version : How many cats fit in a mandolin case?

Bill James
Dec-21-2008, 10:36pm
Five is possible but a bit crowded.

Bill James
Dec-21-2008, 10:37pm
Four is purrrrfect!

JEStanek
Dec-21-2008, 10:58pm
Bill, how cold do you keep your shop? If my 4 cats were that close it would have to be darned cold or the fur would start flying. They start with the Ford vs Chevy thing then move to WSM vs Thile then all hell breaks loose.

Jamie

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-22-2008, 2:13am
Mmmmmmm! - Fur-lined Mando. cases - now there's a thought. Russell (my cat), come here right now !. No,too small,
Saska :grin:

Hans
Dec-22-2008, 7:42am
Bill, you're a genius...how do you manage to herd cats?

Bill James
Dec-22-2008, 8:59am
"Bill, you're a genius...how do you manage to herd cats?"

It's easy, just yell, "last one in the case is going to the vet!"

This particular gang lives in the barn and had never seen a mandolin case before, they were in it in five seconds flat. There was a couple of punches thrown, nothing serious just little jabs but that was when "Tex" decided to leave. He's the odd man out since the other four are mom, dad, brother, and sister. Truth is he's the head honcho and if he really wanted the case, he'd get it.

mando-red
Dec-22-2008, 10:58am
Bill, you are a man after my own heart! I am assuming these are your cats. Cute picture!

Dragonflyeye
Dec-22-2008, 11:29am
Very cute, Bill. Reminds me to close my case!

It sure looks though, that those barn cats are craving a nice, warm, fake-fur lined cat bed, big enough for all, including Tex. An old tub would work, with a beat-up bed pillow or two in the bottom, and a hunk of fake fur fabric thrown over the whole thing.

Our spoiled indoor-outdoor kitty (Boxcar) Willie has 3-4 fake-fur lined beds scattered around the house. At this time of year, in Wisconsin, he's usually in one of them.

Steven Stone
Dec-22-2008, 11:36am
I think that we should send Bill our old mando cases for his cats so they can each have their own case.:grin:

JGWoods
Dec-22-2008, 12:55pm
The question is: How many mandolins can you fit in a cat case?

(hope none of'em "marked" the case)

mandopete
Dec-22-2008, 1:53pm
Serious L.O.L. !

Now I can has cheezeburger (http://icanhascheezburger.com/)?

bagpipe
Dec-22-2008, 2:54pm
Serious L.O.L. !

Now I can has cheezeburger (http://icanhascheezburger.com/)?

Great job. I love icanhascheezburger. :))

man dough nollij
Dec-22-2008, 9:21pm
Great job. I love icanhascheezburger. :))

We both know I'm training to be a cage fighter. Gosh!

SternART
Dec-22-2008, 9:55pm
I've got a Maine Coon that would fill the case himself.

man dough nollij
Dec-22-2008, 10:04pm
I'm catless, since I adopted out my latest cat, Chuck when deploying to the ice. I would like my next cat (when and if I settle down) to be a Norwegian Forest Cat (http://www.petpublishing.com/catkit/breeds/wegie.shtml). A grown up one could definitely fill a mando case.

Dale Ludewig
Dec-23-2008, 8:14am
It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas..............

herbsandspices
Dec-23-2008, 1:30pm
Bill,
Awesome pic!
My cat gets into any instrument case, the second it opens.
john

bagpipe
Dec-23-2008, 7:52pm
We both know I'm training to be a cage fighter. Gosh!

best.movie.ever:

"You know, like nunchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."

I guess mandolin playing would count as mad skills ? :mandosmiley:

man dough nollij
Dec-23-2008, 8:01pm
I caught you a delicious bass.

JEStanek
Dec-23-2008, 8:03pm
You need to share with the kitties.

Jamie

MandoNicity
Dec-24-2008, 4:33am
Kitties in a case, put a big old smile on my face. :))

D Sears
Dec-24-2008, 6:28am
Very cute. I can't keep mine away from my cases.

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-24-2008, 12:03pm
My Cat Gurthie wants to come over and play.:mandosmiley:

Bill James
Dec-24-2008, 12:27pm
"My Cat Guthrie wants to come over and play."

He'll have to bring his own case, old Tex staked his claim and moved his stuff in last night. He gave me the evil eye for even thinking about it and you don't mess with Tex!

mandopete
Dec-24-2008, 12:55pm
A cat with his own chainsaw? That's serious!

man dough nollij
Dec-24-2008, 2:53pm
A cat with his own chainsaw? That's serious!

They can be quite creative, especially with gigantic pumpkins.

http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/halloween_cat_chainsaw.jpg

des mando
Dec-24-2008, 3:12pm
i almost went on a rant about safety issues with cats and chain saws before i noticed the safety glasses

JEStanek
Dec-24-2008, 9:29pm
Cool and K/D! (From Jamie's wife - The Vet!) You're feeding the barn cats rather well. I guess the operative word is "Old" Tex.

Thanks for the smiles!

Doc Shannon

Sean Greer
Jan-01-2009, 4:03pm
Here's a pic of one my cats, Sophia, hanging out in my case while I play. If shes' not outside, she's either in the case or on my lap while I play.

Bill James
Jan-01-2009, 5:19pm
She reminds me of the late, great Harley. My companion of 20 years and the best cat ever!

Sean Greer
Jan-01-2009, 5:39pm
What a cutie! They certainly share their lovely colorings. This is my first calico and she is a handful, in a good way. Super talkative, extremely high energy, but also a very loving cat. I can only hope that I'll be blessed with her for 20 years, as you were with Harley.

Ted Eschliman
Jan-02-2009, 7:58am
Mine's handy with tools, too...

http://jazzmando.com/images/CatWorthHaving.jpg

violmando
Jan-02-2009, 11:15am
Hey, Ted, my car could use some work--do you hire your cat out? What's the hourly rate? My two don't do much--I'm lucky if I can get Bennie to unload the groceries and that's only because it involves FOOD! Yvonne

craigw
Jan-02-2009, 3:09pm
Hey Bill, this is Whitley our Maine Coon mix. She's been posted before but I had to put her up again since she looks a lot like your Harley. She goes everywhere with us in our motorhome so if we're ever up for a visit you can meet her in (cat) person.

janprimus
Jan-02-2009, 3:40pm
I want to see you shut the case. ;-)

craigw
Jan-02-2009, 4:18pm
"I want to see you shut the case. ;-)

indjournal
Jan-06-2009, 3:59pm
I'm glad no one was evil enough to mention anything about future strings.
;)

Jason Kessler
Jan-07-2009, 1:25pm
What's the matter, indjournal? Cat gut your tongue?

Tom C
Jan-07-2009, 1:47pm
No hate mails please....
I don't need a case to carry my cat in......

http://rulingcatsanddogs.com/contents/funny-pics/page-2/large-files/cat-carrier-joke-Tabby-Tote-domestic-animals-humor-pic.jpg

Steve Hinde
Jan-08-2009, 10:29pm
Must be a long coooold winter up der in Minnesoooota. The cats is tryin to stay warm don't ya no.
My cats drop in the shop to use da box. I have to keep the cases in a separate room. At least they don't try to bury me too. (Only if i'm pickin)
How do you keep da fur outta da F holes?
They don't sharpen their claws on the strings do they? May have to get a recording of that. All the dogs in the neighborhood may start to howl.
Maybe you could start a string band.

Steve

Lee Callicutt
Jan-08-2009, 11:39pm
Does a gig bag count? His name is Butters, and he's grounded, mister!

karlssoni
Jan-09-2009, 10:46pm
I'm new to the mandolin, but whenever I see cats in a house, I'm always careful to avoid surprises by keeping my banjo case closed.

Meadowview
Jan-10-2009, 10:48pm
Looks like there may be a need for for a Dr. Dobson's cat carrier---------

Joe Dodson
Apr-15-2009, 10:06am
My cat wanted me to revive this thread.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8349/catinacase.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catinacase.jpg)

Joel Spaulding
Apr-15-2009, 10:34am
We visited some friends in Lexington recently. Within five minutes of opening the case ....

Shelagh Moore
Apr-15-2009, 11:40am
My cat went to sleep in my mandolin case and I inadvertently shut the lid. An hour and a half later I opened it again and there he was... still asleep inside!

Womandolin
Apr-15-2009, 11:44am

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8349/catinacase.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catinacase.jpg)

Aww.. that is adorable!

Womandolin
Apr-15-2009, 12:03pm
My case doesn't unzip all the way, so kitties stay out of it. But they sure like to hang around while I play. This one is Daphne.

Don't mind the scotch tape on my mandolin.. the strings buzz without it.

jefflester
Apr-16-2009, 3:08pm
Though we should really revive this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669) and combine with the one we are in now.

Capt. E
Apr-16-2009, 3:52pm
My cat would probably sit in my case with his latest victim in his jaws. Yesterday it was a lizard.

Jerry Haynes
Apr-16-2009, 3:58pm
Reading the kitty stories, thought I'd share one. Went to a friends house one night...he has 3 cats. Another friend shows up with a new martin guitar and new case. Played a few songs and then I happened to notice one of the cats in the new guitar case.. then I pointed out to the case owner that the cat was in the peeing position. Yes, he dropped about a pint ! Everybody had big time over it, laughed till we hurt. The case owner didn't laugh a bit! Still laugh about it now... Months later , after much cleaning, the case still smelled like cat pee.

Jake Wildwood
Apr-16-2009, 5:12pm
Our cat Terrapin comes out every Saturday morning to the little group session here in the store (we live attached to the store) and he rotates from case to case as we play.

Awesome photos, by the way!

billkilpatrick
Apr-18-2009, 2:36am
a client of ours - a rabbi - has the following pinned to his notice board:

"ye shall have dominion over all the animals of the world ... except cats."

SternART
Apr-18-2009, 6:49pm
Maybe only one Maine Coon.

sgarrity
Apr-18-2009, 7:00pm
Now that's a CAT!

JEStanek
Apr-18-2009, 7:09pm
That's not a cat... That's Liono of the Thunder Cat's I think! Wow, Arthur. I can't wait to show that cat to my wife.

Jamie

SternART
Apr-18-2009, 7:29pm
The gentle giants of domestic cats......of course several Maine Coon kittens could fit in a case.

jeff mercer
Apr-18-2009, 7:44pm
SternART,

My God, that's incredible ! Never seen a Maine Coon cat before..are they all that big, or is your puss a particulary large specimen ?

Name ? Disposition ?

On the complete opposite side of the size spectrum, our cat sam fits in my ukulele case !

If anyone is still looking for a name for a new moggy, how about Lloyd Claw ?

:)

Bill Snyder
Apr-18-2009, 8:50pm
Read up about the above huge cat here. (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bigcat2.asp)

man dough nollij
Apr-18-2009, 9:03pm
Read up about the above huge cat here. (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bigcat2.asp)

I knew I had seen that picture online before.

My thoughts were:

1) Wow! That's a very attractive woman.

2) I notice she is holding a large cat.

I think that cat may actually be a Norwegian Forest Cat (http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/norwegian.html), which are even bigger than Maine Coons. I'd like to get one when I get back to the real world.

Mandolin content: Should we start a "Women With Mondocats" thread?

delsbrother
Apr-19-2009, 12:16am
I have a wedgie.

It's not that big.

D.E.Williams
Apr-19-2009, 7:00am
Typically, Wegies (not wedgies) aren't usually quite as big as a Maine Coon, but close. Depends on the parentage. If you want to see a breed that is really big for a cat, try looking at a Siberian Cat. Although they have come down in size in recent years, when first brought into the U.S., it wasn't uncommon for males to reach 30+ pounds. Now, they seem to range around the same size as a Maine Coon, or even smaller depending on the breeder.

delsbrother
Apr-19-2009, 3:12pm
Wegies (not wedgies)

You haven't seen mine.

SternART
Apr-19-2009, 6:44pm
I ran across that orange Maine Coon photo, it was sent to me by mandolinist Becky Smith, who lives in Idaho.

Mine aren't quite as big, but still gentle giants. Here is Baxter, easily fills a mandolin case, with some hanging out.

billkilpatrick
Apr-19-2009, 6:49pm

now post the photo of the cat holding her ...

D.E.Williams
Apr-19-2009, 6:54pm
you haven't seen mine.

rofl

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-21-2009, 12:15am
Maine Coon cats are notably heavier that what we'd call a 'standard' sized cat. It's not unusual to have male cats weighing in at 20 lbs or over with females at slightly less,as against a fairly 'standard' 7 lbs or so for a normal sized domestic cat - whatever breed, i love cats.
My own 1 year old 'tabby & white' mixed breed cat Russell, has been with me & my wife now for
8 months & he's just an incredible little soul,we're very luck to have him,
Saska;)

D.E.Williams
Apr-21-2009, 9:35am
I'm a big cat person too... here's my cat DK (Don's Kitty). He's a Scottish Fold, and was recently on Animal Planet with his buddies Wally, Mikey and Duncan, in the first episode of 'Cats 101'. I hope to get a picture of him in a mando case one of these days.

SternART
Apr-21-2009, 10:00am
Kinda looks like DK was listening to your mandolin playing! Possibly you were playing some Dawg tunes :))
(I know....I know, but too good of a set up to pass on) ;)

D.E.Williams
Apr-21-2009, 10:33am
LOL...yeah, kinda looks like his ears are reacting to some sort of scratchin'.

:))

JGWoods
Apr-21-2009, 4:03pm

We have his brother!

herbsandspices
Apr-21-2009, 4:36pm
Does a banjo case count?

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7577/267243605839c2acf702za3.jpg

That's my guy Oatie - he's a big ol' bear, with a cute little "lucky eye" on his left. And if there's an instrument being played, he's either on your lap, or in its case.

:mandosmiley: john

Mike Bromley
Apr-21-2009, 8:09pm
Well, not all three of mine. Or at least when I'm looking.

Prickles appears to be saying: "you want us to WHAT?" while Brother Burdock in the middle snoozes. Sister Velcro doesn't reveal her thoughts very often. That was when they were kittens, now, on the right, during mandolin practice.

Stephanie Reiser
Apr-22-2009, 7:35pm
Best I could do was my cat in a mando/fiddle case.

Life Is Good
Apr-22-2009, 9:35pm
Wonderful Kitties! Their contentment is contagious!

Chris Biorkman
Apr-22-2009, 9:48pm
Depends. Are we talking about live or dead cats? Just kidding.

I don't really have much against cats, aside from the fact that being around one causes my throat to close up and makes me feel like I'm going to die. Other than that, they're pretty cool I guess.

Life Is Good
Apr-22-2009, 10:07pm
When I was a kid I asked my parents for a dog everyday for about two years until one day I came home from school and we had a dog. I enjoyed it for about two weeks until the dog was taken back because my Mom was allergic. About four years ago we adopted a cat that the neighbors had rescued who has a pure and gentle spirit. This cat is always in a good mood and very sweet, not an aggressive attention seeker. They are not all the same but many are good in my experience. Mine is exceptional...

Ivan Kelsall
May-04-2009, 2:10am
I told him 'stay out of the fridge !!!!!' - some cats never learn,
Ivan :grin:

Tina MBee
May-05-2009, 7:56pm
took forever for me to get johnduffey in my case. he's a weird cat - doesn't get in boxes, or bags. he seemed to like this old case though

Chris Keth
May-05-2009, 8:17pm
You can fit a lot more cats in a case if you chop them up first. It's a more efficient use of the space.

SternART
May-05-2009, 9:54pm
:disbelief:

Chris Keth
May-06-2009, 12:04am
:disbelief:

I was just sayin'...:))

CelticDude
May-06-2009, 5:33am
You can fit a lot more cats in a case if you chop them up first. It's a more efficient use of the space.

Probably true of mandolins as well, if efficiency is what you're after...

Chris Keth
May-06-2009, 9:52am
Probably true of mandolins as well, if efficiency is what you're after...

True, the volume of a mandolin is mostly empty space. Maybe the guy who smashed up BM's F5 was just trying to show him how to be space efficient.:))

JEStanek
May-06-2009, 9:55am
I think the story on WSM's was it was a spurned lover who wasn't interested in efficiency. Picking on Cats in this thread is like picking on WSM in the Bluegrass forum...

Jamie

Chris Keth
May-06-2009, 10:49am
I think the story on WSM's was it was a spurned lover who wasn't interested in efficiency. Picking on Cats in this thread is like picking on WSM in the Bluegrass forum...

Jamie

I see that. All semblance of humor is completely lost here.:confused:

TerryBurnsKing
May-06-2009, 10:49am
42115 Just one.

JEStanek
May-06-2009, 12:43pm
No lack of humor. People just love their pets. For many people, their pet is family (whatever the animal, often loved more than blood relatives ;) ). My wife is a vet. No worries.

Jamie

Hans
Jun-16-2009, 11:52am
Our Willie cat went stone blind a few weeks ago and had to be put down. Sunday we picked up Tiggs, a Maine Coon mix at the Humane Society...
Doesn't exactly fit in a mandolin case but does well in a large mandola case...

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ivoroid/tiggs.jpg

I have to say that this is the friendliest cat I've ever come across...
No wonder they call them "dogs in cat's clothing"! :)

AlanN
Jun-16-2009, 12:20pm
And is seeming to say

"If yer lookin fer the mandolin, you gotta go through me"

JEStanek
Jun-16-2009, 12:49pm
Beautiful rescued cat, Hans. Sorry about Willie.

Jamie

300win
Jun-16-2009, 1:09pm
I don't know but mine is lying in my guitar case sleeping right now. I think she likes the banjo most of all, the "round mattress" is more to her liking.

D.E.Williams
Jun-16-2009, 1:21pm
Very sorry about Willie...been there so many times myself. Glad you got Tiggs! MC's really are nice cats.

Bill James
Jun-16-2009, 1:35pm
R.I.P. Willie, he was a good one.

Tiggs is a handsome (and lucky) little bugger, looks like he's already claimed you, your case, your house and everything in it.....etc., etc.

Hans
Jun-17-2009, 7:14am
Thanks guys, as you all know it's very hard to put an animal down. Poor Willie had diabetes, kidney problems, had to be hydrated twice a day and recently developed cancer before he went blind. That broke me.
We had another cat from the shelter for a couple of weeks, but she just kept running away and we're getting too old to comb the neighborhood for cats. I had to take her back. That wasn't easy either.
Tiggs came from a family that had to surrender 2 Maine Coons as their home was forclosed on. He came home with us and got it all figured out within an hour.
Thank God for the Animal Humane Society. It was heartwarming to see so many people there on Sunday when they opened.

300win
Jun-17-2009, 7:51am
Hans sorry about your loss. Yes it hurts deeply when a good buddy dies. I've had my share of it this past month. Yesr before last me and the wife had to put down our beloved "Emmy-cat". She had lived to the age of 16, and had very poor health there at the last. We got a new kitten "Callie" later on that same year, she has filled the empty place in our hearts. Very differant personality, but a sweet cat. This past month I have had a good friend "Jack" get hit by a car, he was our oldest son's dog, who is a Marine and could not take care of him anymore because of deployments and change of duty stations. We both grew very fond of him and I cried like a baby the day he got killed. Also this past month, my wife's sister had a horse "Doc" that I've been looking after since January, that had to be put down because of illness. It has been a sad last 5 weeks. I just wrote a song yesterday in honor of them and all the rest of the fine friends we've had in all our years and named it "Ol' Buddy". There is no love like the love a pet gives you, and it really hurts when they leave.

D.E.Williams
Jun-17-2009, 9:31am
There is no love like the love a pet gives you, and it really hurts when they leave.

So true...so very true. I'm deeply sorry for your losses.

SternART
Jun-17-2009, 10:29am
Tiggs probably wouldn't mind if his new nickname became Willieboy......or in his "case" Mr. Willieboy!

Hans
Jun-17-2009, 5:21pm
Arthur, he was probably named by children in the old family (Tigger). I thought hard about changing it, but he readily recognizes the name, so Tiggs it is. We just nicknamed him "Beeg Guy" from Lucas Haas in "Witness".
That's a great MC you have there!

SternART
Jun-17-2009, 5:46pm
Here's my Lil' Maggie.........another Coon cat........with killer ears!
I figured I needed at least as many Maine Coons as mandolins!

Kerry Krishna
Jun-18-2009, 6:49am
Hans, I am sso sorry to hear about you cat. Family members dieing like this after 15 or so years is expected, but always a shock. Your new cat thanks you also for bringing it home! I think Willy would be very happy knowing you did this... Kerry K

Hans
Jun-18-2009, 7:18am
Arthur that is a stunning cat...I keep going back to the pix!
Kerry, Willie was 15, and we knew it was coming for a long time. The blindness came on very quick though, and that got to me.
Maureen had Stanley before Willie and he was 23 before we had to put him down. We are very happy to have found Tiggs...

Portel
Jun-18-2009, 1:04pm
30, as long as the cats are small enough

Frank Silver
Jun-18-2009, 10:52pm
.. I've posted many a cat in a case .. here's our Maine Coon , sans case this time.

SternART
Jun-19-2009, 8:21am
Another nice Coon cat there Frank !!! Here is a rare black-smoke Maine Coon. Hairs are white for the first half inch & then turn black. He kinda shimmered when he walked......ol' Barkley Boy.

John Ritchhart
Jun-19-2009, 10:12am
You're a good man, Hans.

Frank Silver
Jun-19-2009, 5:09pm
Art,

That black-boy is a hoot, thanks. I'd like to see him sometime up at your shop.

SternART
Jun-19-2009, 5:49pm
Frank...........Unfortunately ol' Barkley Boy is visiting with Han's Willie............up in kitty heaven.
He was a special Cooneyboy.......hell of a cat......three others still here at the studio......they are nice enough to let me share it with them......