PDA

View Full Version : I need a pick carver / builder.

scottlevad
Dec-21-2008, 12:51am
I need a professional pick carver. Is anybody out there in the Cafe a professional pick carver? I was given some old and very precious material that I would like a couple of picks made from.

jim_n_virginia
Dec-21-2008, 4:24am
If it's material from an endangered species you might find it hard to find someone... at least publically out in the open (like this Forum) anyways.

If it's not someone may do it if you offer them some of your precious material.

With that said it not all that hard to make a pick ... especially if you have one in the shape that you want to use as an outline.

And you say carve? Most picks I have seen made were made by small hand saws to cut the intial shape and then files and sandpaper for the finishing touch.

good luck! :mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-21-2008, 5:11am
Depending what the material is,why not do it yourself ?. If it's 'sawable & fileable' there should be no problems.
Re.the 'endangered species' subject. I'm pretty sure that in the UK,if you have Tortoishell,Ivory etc.,provided that it was 'collected' prior to the change in the law prohibiting 'collection' of the material,it's ok to own it. To posses any of these materials 'collected' after the law changed, is certainly illegal. Is the law the same in the USA ?,
Saska :confused:

jim_n_virginia
Dec-21-2008, 10:47am
To posses any of these materials 'collected' after the law changed, is certainly illegal. Is the law the same in the USA ?,
Saska :confused:

In the United States if you use the US Postal Service for something thats later found to be illegal it makes it a Federal crime and felony and a LOT more serious than ... errr your regular old garden variety crime! LOL!

I think (in my case anyways) because crossing state lines and the using the USPS many people would not take the chance even if it was something harvested before than ban. I wouldn't take the chance would you? Remember this package is coming right to your house with your name and address on it!

And since the OP lives in Alaska I imagine if he finds someone he will have to mail it. But thats assuming it IS endangered species material, it may NOT be.

It may be genuine moose horn and thus legal (I don't really know!) and the reason it is so valuable and precious is because moose get pretty ticked off when you saw off a part of their antler! LOL!

But I agree with you, making picks is not that hard and actually kind of relaxing and fun if you have the right tools!

Schlegel
Dec-21-2008, 10:50am
Jeweler's saws are inexpensive and easy to use. If you're worried about messing up, practice on a piece of plastic first. I've made several picks out of celluloid and mammoth ivory, you can knock it out while watching TV no problem.

mandroid
Dec-21-2008, 2:14pm
Ditto on the Jeweler's saw, a V shaped cutout in a piece of wood underneath,
and clamped to a table , and a bit of time and patience and you are good to go.

saw blade goes in the opposite way from hacksaws, since cut stroke is pulling down ,
its toward the handle..

sold by the dozens .. the blades break easily if twisted while cutting ..

Tim2723
Dec-21-2008, 2:34pm
You can find jewler's saws and blades (lots of those) in many hobby and craft stores. Exacto makes a nice one. Look for it with all those little tools model makers and such use.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-22-2008, 2:02am
The drawbacks of living in such a big country as the USA,certainly do give you a kick in the rear at times Jim,& NO - i wouldn't take a chance either. A few years ago,me & my partner Shirley,were on vacation in the Spanish Island of Majorca - the infamous 9-11 week actually. Unknown to me,she bought me an alligator skin belt as a present. This material is perfectly legal to sell in Spain - definitely NOT in the UK - but she didn't know this at the time. When we got home to the UK,she proudly presented me with the belt. I have to say that i was delighted with it,but at the same time astonished by what she'd done. If, coming back into the UK,we'd been searched by our customs guys - something they can do at any time if they wish, as they possibly have more powers than our Police Force - she'd have been prosecuted for importing a banned material & the belt would have been confiscated & destroyed (so they'd tell us).I certainly NEVER take it on vacation back where it came from - just in case.
It certainly makes sense to know the law re.these materials,or you could end up in BIG doodoo's
as you suggested,
Saska ;)