PDA

View Full Version : Big Mon's belt buckle!

mrmando
Dec-20-2008, 9:21pm
This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bill-Monroe-personal-Belt-Buckle-Gibson-Mandolin-King_W0QQitemZ170288766178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item170288766178&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318) should be interesting. Can anyone verify it? Some kind of receipt from the estate auction would have been nice...

http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/25/ca/7972_1.JPG

jim_n_virginia
Dec-20-2008, 10:13pm
Seems like he would have a reciept for the buckle if it was bought at an auction or at least a flyer or something from it.

mrmando
Dec-20-2008, 10:32pm
Well, some people are disorganized and don't keep receipts. I, for example, can barely keep track of my mandolins!

mandognome
Dec-20-2008, 10:35pm
If you put it on and let it scratch the back of your mandolin, it might impart "that Loar sound." :mandosmiley:

mrmando
Dec-20-2008, 10:48pm
That's the Monroe version of the ToneGard.

f5loar
Dec-22-2008, 12:09pm
I never saw him wear it but then there were a half dozen others at the auction I didn't see him wear either. Most of the ones I saw had a reference to bluegrass or his name or initial on the buckle. Some fancy, some plain.
Unfortunately the only person I know that could positively verify if Monroe wore this one or not is dead now.
The Monroe sale was divided into two parts. The actual auction pieces including many mandolins that were tagged and numbered. This was about 100 items. The rest of the "stuff" was set up like a yard sale (some call it tag sale, others flea market) in a big room at the CMHF and you went in and picked up what you wanted with no haggering off the tag price, paid and left. You were given a letter from James saying this was his daddy's "stuff".
With no letter and no photo showing him wearing it at least once hard to say what to believe on this one.

TomTyrrell
Dec-22-2008, 2:19pm
I would really be wary about this one. Without provenance it is only a belt buckle (who's gonna believe you 20 years from now without some paper?). Even worse, it is probably a reproduction of a fake!

The real first run of these buckles said Tiffany on the back. They weren't really made by Tiffany, they were part of a big hoax. The scammer even published a book promoting the buckles. This buckle has a more modern type of one-piece attachment that wasn't used on the first ones and it is probably a remake. So it is a fake of a fake.

I don't ever pay more than $20 for one of the original fakes. The fake fakes aren't even worth that much. Certainly not $100.

f5loar
Dec-22-2008, 5:39pm
Interesting that it's a fake of a fake but regardless if there can be connection to Monroe you can say it was his.
I got a cheap watch with the TNN logo on it probably given out free to artists that were on the TV shows. It showed signs if wear. This buckel does not so I doubt seriously he wore it much if at all. Bottom line it's a $10 buckle you could probably find at any buckle store.
Should have kept the paper work and a photo of the auctioner handing it off to you ;)

TomTyrrell
Dec-22-2008, 5:44pm
Interesting that it's a fake of a fake but regardless if there can be connection to Monroe you can say it was his.

Should have kept the paper work and a photo of the auctioner handing it off to you ;)

Without the paperwork why buy the buckle? Just tell everybody one of the buckles you already have was Bill's.

Provenance is the key to celebrity collectibles.

Eddie Sheehy
Dec-22-2008, 7:16pm
If two negatives make a positive,
And two positives make a negative,
Then does two fakes make a genuine?

Dave Greenspoon
Dec-22-2008, 8:56pm
Well, some people are disorganized and don't keep receipts. I, for example, can barely keep track of my mandolins!

Martin-

I'm happy to take a few off your hands if that will help you stay on task. :-)

Dave

evanreilly
Dec-23-2008, 2:21pm
This is what Bill's belt buckle looks like; only his is silver.
These were given to the Blue Grass Boys by Doug Hutchens. No others need apply!
I have one of those 'Tiffany' buckles; nice, but it ain't no part of nuttin as far as Louis Comfort Tiffany goes.

MandoSquirrel
Jan-01-2009, 2:02pm
But it Had to be real, he posted a photo of Bill he said he took. That Proves it!
:disbelief:

Bill Snyder
Jan-02-2009, 12:09am
Well with a selling price of $202.50 someone thought it was real. :disbelief:

TomTyrrell
Jan-02-2009, 9:28am
There's one born every minute...

f5loar
Jul-19-2014, 10:45pm
I thought I would update this old one for the Monroeites still out there in Café land. The original photo of a Monroe buckle for sale was not the one he wore the most after Doug Hutchens presented him with a limited edition buckle in the mid-80's. You can find photos of Monroe wearing this No. 1 buckle and Doug wanted his to be special so it was done in silver plating. Each Bluegrass Boy (past and present) got one with their name engraved on it done in brass. This special No. 1 buckle that Monroe wore was put up at the auction in Nashville and not many knew who the lucky high bidder was but I can tell you it is in the hands of an ex-Bluegrass Boy today. Here are some recent photos of the buckle as it looks today. Note the engraved "Bill Monroe" is almost worn off from Monroe wearing every show since he got it. 121744121745

almeriastrings
Jul-19-2014, 10:52pm
Very cool indeed :mandosmiley: