PDA

View Full Version : Gibson stock in the DC Area

Rob Powell
Dec-20-2008, 6:24am
I was wondering if anyone in the DC area could point me to a place that actually stocks Gibson mandolins (beyond the A9/F9)?

shadco
Dec-20-2008, 10:06am
I seriously doubt it but you might try Action Music in Falls Church.

or take a regional amtrak train to NYC and visit Mandolin Bros. they should have plenty

PS: is this the diamondback club?

TomTyrrell
Dec-20-2008, 11:03am
You could give Alpha Music in Virginia Beach a call 877-486-2001, they are a Gibson authorized dealer. Or maybe Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg, VA (800-830-4669).

Rob Powell
Dec-20-2008, 11:47am
I seriously doubt it but you might try Action Music in Falls Church.

or take a regional amtrak train to NYC and visit Mandolin Bros. they should have plenty

PS: is this the diamondback club?

Yeah, I haven't called them but they list 3 mandos on their website and they ain't Gibsons for sure ;-)

Picker's wouldn't be too bad...I should give them a call. They have a lot of older used Gibsons....

I've been meaning to take the trip to Mandolin Bros.

Va. Beach is a bit of a drive but if I happen to be around there.

Shad, your Diamondback and my Yellowstone are pretty similar. The Diamondback seems have a few more appointments but all in all, I'd bet they come from the same family ;-)

Sweet little mando's, eh?

allenhopkins
Dec-20-2008, 1:30pm
Here's (http://www.gibson.com/Dealers/) a link to Gibson's dealer listings. They seem to have many categories of dealerships, but you're probably looking for "Original Musical Instruments" dealers...

sgarrity
Dec-20-2008, 1:39pm
You're not going to find much at Alpha Music in Va Beach. They usually have an A9 and an F9 and maybe a Fern. But nothing more. they are super nice people and I've worked with them on some workshops. But they are more of an electric store that happens to have an acoustic section.

jeff_75
Dec-20-2008, 4:10pm
Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg used to carry Gibsons and would sometimes have several on hand. I bought an F5 there back around 2002. (Don't know if this is still the case, because I haven't been by there in years, but it would be worth a phone call. They're right down I95 from you.)

And Melodee Music in Leesburg and Sterling is a great place to do business. I don't think they're a Gibson vendor, but they probably have some used ones sitting around.

Rob Powell
Dec-20-2008, 7:27pm
Picker's Supply in Fredericksburg used to carry Gibsons and would sometimes have several on hand. I bought an F5 there back around 2002. (Don't know if this is still the case, because I haven't been by there in years, but it would be worth a phone call. They're right down I95 from you.)

And Melodee Music in Leesburg and Sterling is a great place to do business. I don't think they're a Gibson vendor, but they probably have some used ones sitting around.

I know Picker's pretty well...or rather used to. I went to college in F'burg many moons ago, when Picker's was on Williams Street and Picker's was, well, Bran ;)

Melodee Music isn't an OAI dealer at least for mandolins...in fact, not many non-electric Gibsons at either store, new or used. It's too bad too because I really like dealing with them. Rick in Leesburg is a HUGE Weber fan and has a bunch of them and tends to have more high end mandos than Sterling. In fact, he had all 3 Mandocello body guitars built for him. Sterling has more of a balance of Breedloves and Webers but they both lean more heavy on the Webers than anything else.

But alas, no Gibsons...I'm really dying to try out a Sam Bush Signature model.

jeff_75
Dec-20-2008, 11:16pm
The Gibson I got from Picker's back around '02 is a Sam Bush. My band plays in Warrenton from time to time at Molly's. You're welcome to come out there next time we're up and try mine out if you'd like. Although we've currently got nothing on the schedule up there.

I've also dealt with Rick at Melodee and would recommend him to anyone. Super nice guy. And yes, he's big on Weber. In fact, I bought a Gallatin from him - it was my very first scroll. ;)

Rob Powell
Dec-21-2008, 6:02am
The Gibson I got from Picker's back around '02 is a Sam Bush. My band plays in Warrenton from time to time at Molly's. You're welcome to come out there next time we're up and try mine out if you'd like. Although we've currently got nothing on the schedule up there.

I've also dealt with Rick at Melodee and would recommend him to anyone. Super nice guy. And yes, he's big on Weber. In fact, I bought a Gallatin from him - it was my very first scroll. ;)

Thanks Jeff....I appreciate the offer and I guess I'll have to give Picker's a call. If you remember, shoot me a pm when you're playing at Molly's next time. I'd be curious how you think the Yellowstone compares.

Which Hills of VA are you in? I was born and raised in Front Royal....

Steve K
Dec-21-2008, 1:10pm
You might want to give Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, MD a call. They might.

http://www.wmcworld.com/

Tina MBee
Dec-22-2008, 9:22pm
Not a store but I got both my Gibsons from Charles Johnson, Richmond,VA

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/

Rob Powell
Dec-23-2008, 4:58am
Not a store but I got both my Gibsons from Charles Johnson, Richmond,VA

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/

Hey Tina...have you been to Picker's lately? If you do go by, let me know if there's any Gibsons other than the vintage A's and F4's....

Steve, I'll give Chuck's a try but last time I was there all they had were some Michael Kelly's.

MoreCowbell
Dec-27-2008, 9:54am
I was in Pickers Supply about two months ago. They had a cool selection of some vintage Gibson's (not sure if they're still there or not) but nothing new. The new ones I saw were mostly Eastmans. I'd call ahead -- unless you just want to make the drive for some Carl's ice cream ;)

Rob Powell
Dec-27-2008, 11:45am
I was in Pickers Supply about two months ago. They had a cool selection of some vintage Gibson's (not sure if they're still there or not) but nothing new. The new ones I saw were mostly Eastmans. I'd call ahead -- unless you just want to make the drive for some Carl's ice cream ;)

LOL....I would but Carl's is closed until Spring isn't it? At least it used to be.... They closed because Carl wintered in Florida or some such nonsense.

Tina MBee
Dec-28-2008, 11:32am
Carl's reopens on Valentine's Day, Feb.14 so you have to wait until then :)