PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Iowa State Fair Mandolin Contest

Tim Peter
Dec-18-2008, 10:19pm
Met some great pickers at the Iowa State Fair Mandolin contest this past August. Hoo boy was I nervous getting up in front of all of those people. Can only imagine how unnerving it must be to play in much bigger contests. The audience was friendly and the other musicians could not have been nicer. Talked a bit with a picker from the Quad City area that did a great version of "Jerusalem Ridge". He said that he checks out Mandolin Cafe quite a bit. Would love to get in touch with that picker again.

Also would like to know the story of the musician that played some fantastic stuff on the Collings.

David M.
Dec-18-2008, 11:54pm
Hey, Tim. That was me on the Flatiron playing Jerusalem Ridge. Good to hear from you. Glad I saw this thread. You the on w/the old gibson A w/that cool old case? I love that mando.

Don't know anything about the Collings picker, but he was way hot picker. I can find out from David Bellagante, the MC. Holler at me. You should come to the fiddlers picnic in iowa city in Sept. Fun time, stage shows, jams, etc. we're gonna have a Mandolincafe gathering there, I think.

Take care and send me an email if you want to.

BTW, you placed in this contest, didn't you? 2nd or 3rd?

later.

Tim Peter
Dec-19-2008, 12:39am
Hey David, glad you saw this! Yes, that was me with the old A-50 and cool case. It's beginning to lose its musty smell now too. I placed 2nd to your 1st. Though truth be told I'm not sure why we weren't 3rd and 2nd respectively. That guy was amazing. He just kind of disappeared before the judging was even done. I will try to make it to that fiddlers picnic in Iowa City. There's a few folks from around here that have talked about that picnic and really like it.

I'll drop you an email.

David M.
Dec-19-2008, 9:35am
...Though truth be told I'm not sure why we weren't 3rd and 2nd respectively. That guy was amazing. He just kind of disappeared before the judging was even done. I will try to make it to that fiddlers picnic in Iowa City. There's a few folks from around here that have talked about that picnic and really like it.

I'll drop you an email.

Yeah, it's hard to know what trips the judges' triggers, but I think the more trad type tunes, the better, at least w/what I've seen. This fiddlers portion of the contest allows shuffle and hokum bowing, which almost no other contest does. So, these folks who do that get applause and high scores from the judges, which isn't the best way. There's a blond lady from Cedar Rapids who I've seen enter the fiddlers twice and hasn't place either time. Yet she should have won or definitely done better than me. She's a HOT fiddler, but played some Texas tunes that the judges maybe didn't like or know.

I played the ever dreaded Ashokan Farewell in the fiddle portion because I know those judges know and like it. It's way overplayed, but I did it anyway.

farmerjones
Dec-19-2008, 10:24am
The one year i miss it. :crying:

Rub it in guys.

Tim are you from Eastern, Central or Western Iowa?

i live an hour East of Sioux City.

Tim Peter
Dec-19-2008, 11:15am
I'm in central Iowa. It was a good experience for me. I'm glad I finally did it. Wish I had done it several years ago. Look forward to meeting you next year FarmerJones! Dave, I think you're right about the judges. I was really perplexed why that first mandolin player didn't even place when he was just an incredible musician. My wife brought up your point that the judges were looking for that old-timey sound. I was happy just to perform before the big crowd and meet some nice folks.

Big Joe
Dec-19-2008, 11:37am
Hey Guys...
I'm often in the Quad Cities area. My mother in law lives in Geneseo, Il. I don't get there in the winter time, but several times a year we do go there. Are there any regular jams in the Quad Cities area? Love to meet everyone and check out the scene in the cities.

David M.
Dec-19-2008, 8:06pm
Hey Guys...
... I don't get there in the winter time, but several times a year we do go there.

Gotten soft after movin' South, huh, Big Joe? :) Good to hear from you. You and I talked about that a while back (Galesburg if I remember right or did you say you were also from Geneseo?).

I've been to a Sunday afternoon jam in the QC that is fair. A few good musicians come and some great ones occasionally (Randy Smith). I got real turned off once, though, and haven't been back after a guy's comment to me about a tune choice.

If you're back in this area, holler. I'd like to meet you. Goin' through N'ville day after Christmas on the way to my hometown in Bama, but won't have time to stop. One day...

Farmerjonesy, always next year, bro. The fiddlers contest was TOUGH this year, no kidding. playing those tiebreakers is not fun.