PDA

View Full Version : Labraid 5-bis

labraid
Dec-18-2008, 9:22pm
Just wanted to show off the latest to cafe friends. B.C. Big Leaf maple, Carpathian spruce, koa, cocobolo, frets, strings, ya know. :) Very happy with the tone that's coming from these latest mandolins. The first and second bowls were a bit tight, third time may have been the charm -- smooth and getting smoother at 2 days.
Well, Happy Holidays, y'all!

Ho, ho, ho.

http://labraid.ca/images/60.jpg

frankenstein
Dec-18-2008, 9:39pm
EXREMELY MAGNIFICENT. can i have it for christmas ? can i ? can i ?

JEStanek
Dec-18-2008, 10:06pm
Wow. Not too shabby, Brian.

Jamie

jasona
Dec-18-2008, 10:08pm
Fluted ribs?!? You've come a long way FAST I'd say. Beautiful!

Chris Biorkman
Dec-18-2008, 10:20pm
Wow. Seriously impressive.

MLT
Dec-18-2008, 10:23pm
Brian~

Simply beautiful. Can't wait to hear some sound clips.

Mandolusional
Dec-18-2008, 10:43pm
Stunning work! I've never wanted a bowl back until just now.

sebastiaan56
Dec-18-2008, 11:40pm
Hi Brian,

Absolutely stunning! there is drool on my keyboard now... as stated by other I'd love to hear a sound clip sometime.

What is the history of the bridge design?

Sebastiaan

man dough nollij
Dec-18-2008, 11:54pm
Brian,

How did you get the flame to line up on the ribs? Were they radially cut from a huge hunk o'maple?

:confused:

rekx
Dec-19-2008, 12:44am
holy smokes.

sunburst
Dec-19-2008, 1:37am
Wonderfully elegant in design and execution. Bravo!
The sequential, book matched back is a nice touch. Is there a story behind the pick guard design?

Daniel Nestlerode
Dec-19-2008, 5:09am
Hey, that's a carved, one piece bowl isn't it? Is that how you got the grain to flow across the back like that?
I like the cuts in the bridge too, and I'll bet they have a tonal purpose.
Very beautiful work.

Daniel

Skip Kelley
Dec-19-2008, 8:29am
Brian, that mandolin is a true work of art! The maple is outstanding! Awesome job!!

DougC
Dec-19-2008, 9:03am
Another vote for your good design. Great job Brian. Did you make 3 fluted bowls?
I see that the tailpiece is pretty small. Is there any need for dampening the strings?

tree
Dec-19-2008, 12:00pm
I love the curl, especially in the neck, but then I'm a goner for the look of curly maple in a long cylindrical surface (like an instrument neck or a Shaker table leg) anyway. Did you do any subtle staining to enhance it?

The mandolin is breathtaking. Sound clips, we need sound clips! Something Christmassy would be cool . . .

Gail Hester
Dec-19-2008, 12:10pm
Beautiful work Brian.

Jake Wildwood
Dec-19-2008, 4:04pm
Gosh!

That's all I have to say.

Wow!

Mark Walker
Dec-19-2008, 4:20pm
Very seriously BEAUTIFUL! Great work!

labraid
Dec-19-2008, 5:19pm
Thanks, y'all are the best, really. I'll respond to what I can via PM.

Happy Christmas (I get to go home to Va after 2 years!)

Schlegel
Dec-19-2008, 5:59pm
Just drop that off in Charlottesville on your way through Virginia... You don't want to have too much luggage on your journey back, you know. :)

JEStanek
Dec-19-2008, 6:10pm
Now why would a (fellow) Hokie make a drop off in Charlottesville? ;)

Jamie
VPI&SU 92 95

Bill Snyder
Dec-19-2008, 7:00pm
... I'll respond to what I can via PM.

What? And leave the rest of us hanging. :(

Mario Proulx
Dec-20-2008, 12:17am
Whoa! Majorly nicey nice!

Dan Voight
Dec-20-2008, 12:34am
unreal

labraid
Dec-20-2008, 1:08pm
I'll chat it over with the new owner, and if he thinks the sound is opened enough in a few days, we'll see if we can't record some pieces right there. If it's within the next week, I'll bump and post the files here, else they'll be shown prominently on the site sometime thereafter.

Thanks again.

Bob A
Dec-20-2008, 3:25pm
I haven't been following this as closely as it warrants. A few questions:

Are these instruments lined with spruce shavings like the Emberghers?
Is the fretboard thicker on the bass side, again like the Emberghers?

While it's far too early to make meaningful comparisons, how does the sound compare to the originals? (In that regard, I understand that there was a range of tonality in the instruments from the Embergher atelier: the earliest ones were smaller in body and had a more trebly inclination; later as the body size increased the tone grew darker. Supposedly the very late Pecoraro instruments returned to the treble side of the continuum).

Have you settled in on a size and tonal goal, or are you still experimenting with the design?

Thanks for any attempt to answer the unanswerable.

It would be gilding the lily to add to the chorus of praise, but why not? Splendid work, beautiful woods, and bold execution!

Jim Nollman
Dec-20-2008, 4:40pm
unbelievable craftsmanship. bravo. I do have to say however, that on that stunning woody creation, the plastic pickguard looks like an afterthought.

billhay4
Dec-20-2008, 7:41pm
Jim,
I can assure you that nothing Brian does is an afterthought. He is the one of the most cerebral luthiers out there.
My guess, and I hope Brian will weigh in on this, is that this is a look that either reflects the original construction of these instruments, or that the owner wants.
We can quibble over the aesthetics, but I am sure Brian had a good reason for choosing the tortoise.
Bill

JEStanek
Dec-20-2008, 7:46pm
That style of scratch plate (http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&q=Embergher+mandolin&btnG=Search+Images) seems consistent.

Jamie

labraid
Dec-20-2008, 10:14pm
Hi Bob,

> Are these instruments lined with spruce shavings like the Emberghers?

Here is an inside shot of #2 in progress.

> Is the fretboard thicker on the bass side, again like the Emberghers?

Yes, it has an exaggerated, compound radius where material was removed almost exclusively from the treble side of the board, for Embergher-like playability.

> While it's far too early to make meaningful comparisons, how does the sound compare to the originals?

Yet to be seen, but my own perception is that listening to Ralf Leenen's wonderful variety of Embergher recordings (http://www.mandolin.be/mp3/), and playing the mandolin in succession, the comparison is rather favourable. Many changes were made even from #2, after all of the feedback I received. A very concentrated attempt was made to guide the tone of this build to where it needs to be. I am also in contact with Lorenzo Lippi, and this should lead to some further refinements in #4.

> the earliest ones were smaller in body and had a more trebly inclination; later as the body size increased the tone grew darker.

This one's body is identical to the 1932 model 3 mapped out by Lorenzo Lippi. The bass is very rich, as I tend to favour that particular balance throughout the construction process.

> Have you settled in on a size and tonal goal, or are you still experimenting with the design?

Yes! ;)
I plan on keeping this mandolin's attributes as they are, and coming up with new models that are proprietary in addition. One of the more daring bowls should be unveiled sometime in '09. To each model will be a purpose. As far as my Roman mandolin efforts, though, my goal is to match the Embergher legacy in every way possible, without strictly copying all visuals, that is.

Beluga, Re: plastic pickguards, simply they don't dent or scratch. #2 had a wooden pickguard, and after just a few days at CMSA Montreal I had some good pick marks in it (no, I still love you all). I consider that my own failure, and went with plastic instead.

Chris Biorkman
Dec-20-2008, 10:34pm
Well, you should really pat yourself on the back for this one. I don't know what I would do with one, but these pics are giving me bowlback fever.

I think the plastic pickguard looks great.

Michael Cameron
Dec-21-2008, 3:01pm
Beauty!

The neck dimensions sound like something I'd like to experience. Anyone who sounds that familiar with "exaggerated compound radius" ...you had me at compound radius!

Great looking fretboard/neck. Reminds me of the fretboard of the Peter White mandolin I let get away(minus the zero fret).

sigh

Martyweir
Dec-22-2008, 4:00pm
I personally believe that Brian is one of the most talented builders out there right now. The instruments sound amazing and the craftsmanship is like none I have ever seen before. Keep 'em coming man! Some day one of them is going to find it's way to my collection...

Jonathan Rudie
Mar-12-2009, 3:05pm
Sound clips, we need sound clips!

Just sent Brian a few sound clips which I think he will posting sometime soon.

MLT
Mar-12-2009, 9:23pm
Just sent Brian a few sound clips which I think he will posting sometime soon.

Great! I am looking forward to hearing those.

labraid
Mar-12-2009, 9:59pm
Hey Jon, you got magic hands.

Here are the sounds Jonathan recorded for me. I'm indebted, man, these are totally heartfelt.
http://labraid.ca/sounds/R09_0040.MP3
http://labraid.ca/sounds/R09_0048.MP3
http://labraid.ca/sounds/R09_0049.MP3
http://labraid.ca/sounds/R09_0052edit.MP3

This is what it sounded like the first day the mandolin came to Maryland.
http://labraid.ca/sounds/R09_0027.MP3

MLT
Mar-13-2009, 10:23am
Well done to both the builder and the player. Hmmm, maybe there is a Labraid bowl somewhere in my future :sleepy: