PDA

View Full Version : Fake , fake gibson

GTison
Dec-17-2008, 4:51pm
THIS has to be a FAKE. el cheepo complete with a Gibson label!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-A-5-A5-MA...3A1%7C294%3A50

Mike Bromley
Dec-17-2008, 5:09pm
Looks like it's gone already.

GTison
Dec-18-2008, 12:17am
http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-A-5-A5-MANDOLIN-TL_W0QQitemZ270316452313QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item270316452313&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

still someones gonna get robbed on this one, unless you WANT a fake.

musicofanatic
Dec-18-2008, 12:45am
What kills me is most of these sellers honestly believe it is a gibson.

GTison
Dec-18-2008, 10:14am
well if it goes for $ 300, I guess they won't be out too much. Perhaps it's worth about $300 since someone went to a lot of trouble and labor to make it a ###### FAKE. It might be fun to have at a jam just to see the look of wonderment on peoples faces.

oOOOoh a Giiiibson...

David M.
Dec-18-2008, 11:21am
Yep, i saw this one yesterday. You can spot them a mile away.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2008, 11:23am
$300.00 for a $50.00 mandolin is still a bad deal no matter what name you put on it. Real sad.

Ignatius
Dec-18-2008, 12:11pm
I let the seller know that the instrument is a fake and provided a link to Gibson's official specs on the A5. We'll see what happens. If he or she is genuinely mistaken about the instrument, hopefully the auction will be pulled.

Ignatius

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2008, 12:28pm
The seller has been told several times and it has been reported to eBay as well. I wouldn't look for the seller to voluntarily pull it. We are telling them it's fake, others are bidding on it.

Ignatius
Dec-18-2008, 1:05pm
The seller has been told several times and it has been reported to eBay as well. I wouldn't look for the seller to voluntarily pull it. We are telling them it's fake, others are bidding on it.
I thought so, but I thought I would add my voice to the mix and let others know that I did so.

Ignatius

Mike Scott
Dec-18-2008, 1:08pm
Just sold for $425 - 41 bids. Yikes! No I didn't buy it!

Bill Van Liere
Dec-18-2008, 1:09pm
That was sad to watch

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2008, 1:39pm
It looks like they may have killed it before it ended.

Ignatius
Dec-18-2008, 1:49pm
It looks like they may have killed it before it ended.
Sadly, no. The second link above (in bowfinger's second post) shows that it sold for $464.99 plus $27.00 in shipping costs. Someone spent almost $500.00 on a fake today. Truly sad.

Ignatius

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2008, 2:16pm
That is a shame. You can't even contact the winner anymore to warn them. Oh well, I certainly hope they are happy with what they get.

f5loar
Dec-18-2008, 2:33pm
I hope it was not some father who got it for his son/daughter who wanted a real Gibson mandolin for Christmas. What a disappointment this would be to open on Christmas morning. $500 for a $50 mandolin and no recoarse for refund while the seller laughs all the way to the bank ! :))

45ACP-GDLF5
Dec-18-2008, 5:55pm
This Johnson mandolin sold for $464.99 with 43 bidders, or should I say "suckers" This must be the highest price ever paid for a Johnson!!!

phiddlepicker
Dec-18-2008, 6:28pm
It's a fake? Dangit, I wish I read this before I sniped in that winning bid.

phiddlepicker
Dec-18-2008, 8:20pm
Just kidding of course.

buddyellis
Dec-18-2008, 9:07pm
Ugh, a $50 rouge for 500.

http://www.music123.com/Rogue-RM-100A-A-Style-Mandolin-519193-i1150499.Music123#

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2008, 10:22pm
Hey, I had the price right :)

f5loar
Dec-19-2008, 12:24am
So the fake is actually worse then a Johnson. Pitiful, just pitiful for that uninformed buyer.

allenhopkins
Dec-19-2008, 4:15pm
We sometimes don't know how fortunate we are, to have the specialized knowledge that protects us from being swindled in purchasing instruments on eBay and elsewhere. In 40+ years of buying instruments, I have seen innumerable mis-priced examples. In many cases, you couldn't even call it a "swindle"; the seller was essentially clueless about the value range his instrument could command in the current market. Looking at vintage instrument prices on line, I often find 100% differences between asking prices for essentially the same instrument, just depending on the vendor.

Now, this instance was a clear case of dishonesty, IMHO. I'm sure the seller knew that the mandolin wasn't a "real" Gibson. But maybe not; maybe he/she paid a "Gibson" price for a cheap Asian import.

Specialized knowledge doesn't always save you. Look at Mr. Madoff, who apparently cheated the financial world out of $50 billion, dealing in many cases with institutional investors who presumably had professional staff to evaluate his wares. But I'm just glad I'm not trying to evaluate jewelry or colonial-era furniture or vintage automobiles -- products about which I know nothing, essentially -- on an on-line auction site.

f5loar
Dec-20-2008, 3:01pm
I got an answer from ebay concerning this ebay fake Gibson. This is there answer:
Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your report on image and text
theft.
I reviewed all the information you sent, but I don't have enough
evidence to show that the seller violated any eBay policies.
Sometimes members allow others to use their images. It's also possible
that the seller got the photo from the same source or from a source we
can't verify. In either case, we can't remove the listing.
The only way we can take action in a case like this is if the person who owns the image or text writes to us directly.
If you feel strongly about this issue, I recommend that you contact the
content owner and suggest that he or she contact us. Once we hear from
the owner, we can respond appropriately.
It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.
Again if Gibson don't care why should ebay or us?

TomTyrrell
Dec-20-2008, 5:17pm
I'm glad you got some more insight into the inner workings of eBay.

When a seller gets a message telling him his item isn't genuine he might ignore it if there are a lot of bids on the item. If the item isn't genuine why are so many people bidding on it?

If it makes anyone feel better, the "winner" sniped his only bid with 4 seconds to go in the auction. No way he could have been warned off. That bidder has a history of sniping mandolin auctions. With a feedback rating over 400 I doubt it was anyone who shouldn't have known better.

phiddlepicker
Dec-20-2008, 6:47pm
"Why should we care?"
Well, personally I really don't care all that much. I mean I've volunteered to leave my family and go into harm's way about things I genuinely cared about. I'm not packing my bags over this stuff. I just find it fun to banter about these things on the cafe with people that share similar interests in furthering the discussion. I didn't even really care that much when I bought a beautiful Gibson F-4 off of eBay and then found once it arrived that it had a serious repair done to the neck. This contrary to the fact the seller assured me in emails and a phone conversation we had that it was in excellent shape and had no repairs done. Sold that one for a profit anyway even though I was upfront about the repair btw.