PDA

View Full Version : Am I a chicken?

Bluebird
Jul-21-2004, 11:54am
Does anyone have any stage fright tips they would like to post? How do you handle the stage?

mandofiddle
Jul-21-2004, 11:59am
One thing to try... Eat some turkey beforehand. What is it, "triptaphen" (spelling?) Our fiddle player does this occasionally, because it'll help calm her down a bit. She's a classical player as well, and I guess they tell her that as part of her symphony thing. Other than that I don't have any tips, other than to just keep at it. It gets easier the more you do it...

mad dawg
Jul-21-2004, 12:00pm
I have always heard that you should picture your audience naked, but depending upon who is in the audience, this technique has the potential to be distracting, or disturbing.

Kevin K
Jul-21-2004, 12:03pm
I have always heard that you should picture your audience naked, but depending upon who is in the audience, this technique has the potential to be distracting, or disturbing.
Yikes!

Jim Garber
Jul-21-2004, 12:06pm
Always remember that you are your worst critic. Mosty folks will never know that you make a mistake, esp if you smile after doing one. Pretend you are having fun and then do just that.

Also: the very first time is the worst, just do it. After that it gets easier, esp oif you are playing with others. Solo is another thing but even that gets easier. Remember to breathe.

Jim

Bluebird
Jul-21-2004, 12:14pm
Yea, I am the one that feels naked up there. I get tense in the shoulders and the left hand forearm. I mess up breaks I have practiced 100s of times. I need to identify the muscles getting tense and relax those muscles somehow. Any suggestions? Whats the deal with the turkey thing? maybe I'll try it! I'm despirate!

Flatpick
Jul-21-2004, 12:17pm
You're only a chicken if you don't do it.

Go for it, get in there and rip it up.

You are the one in control, not your emotions. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Tom C
Jul-21-2004, 12:23pm
It's difficult with the shaking knees and jello-d arm. I started by doing some open mics which was a tremendous boost. Try playing golf for the first time and standing up at the first tee while everybody is watching. I just try not to look anybody directly in the face when playin. I look through them.

Bluebird
Jul-21-2004, 12:28pm
Tom, Thanks for the info. I don't have any trouble with the golf shot cause it only lasts a few seconds. With pickin I have to endure longer, usually at the end of a show I am in pretty good shape, but it's too late.. then. I probably just need more stage time! Thanks

John Flynn
Jul-21-2004, 12:31pm
Some hints I have picked up different places:

Know that when you walk on stage, the audience is rooting for you. They really are. They want you to do well, because they want to be entertained. If an audience is critical, it is generally only well after you have given them ample reason to be. But when you open your set, they have the best of intentions toward you.

Fix in your mind that you cannot mess up. If something goes wrong, you will keep going and not allow yourself the luxury of feeling guilty or being upset about it. You won't make a facial expression, you won't stop, you won't let it effect your mood. If you must, you can kick yourself later at home, but onstage, you have to "act as if" you can do no wrong or you will have a tough time getting up there to begin with.

Have fun. I assume you enjoy playing music. So enjoy it onstage and let the audience see that you enjoy it. You are doing what you like and the audience just gets the privledge of watching. So smile!

smilnJackB
Jul-21-2004, 12:50pm
There are lots of good tips here. #I get scared too. #Especially if I am to do some kind of solo. #
# #Sometimes when I practice, I will try to visualize an audience. #I even rehearse - at least in my head, comments or intros that I might make.
# #I am trying to learn to skim over mistakes without getting shook up. #Everybody makes mistakes. #Good entertainers find a way to ignore them or laugh at them. #
# I always get dry mouth on stage, so a water bottle is always good to have. #
# If you can enjoy what you are doing, the audience will usually enjoy you. #You don't have to be a great player or singer to be a good entertainer. #And being a great player or singer will not make you an entertainer. #You have to do have fun, seem relaxed and have songs the audience will like.
# # # # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Jack

sunburst
Jul-21-2004, 12:54pm
I know what you mean.
I was a drummer for many years. I almost never felt nervous. I don't know if it was because of the confidence that comes from being seated in the back of the band and not really having to know what key we were in, but nerves were nearly never a problem.

Then I wanted to play something that I could carry with me, and that turned out to be the b@#jo.

It's a whole 'nother ballgame when you have to walk right up to that mike and kick off the whole show!

I'm using three fingers on one hand and five on the other and they're all a little unsteady until about the 3rd set! That's a lot of potential for bad notes!

I try to keep it simple. I try not to play notes I don't need. If that break with the fancy licks that I practiced 100 times shows up in the set when I'm feelibg nervous, it's going to sound better to play a simple break cleanly than to try to force that fancy one past the shakey fingers.

PS
Bluebird, I just looked at your profile and I see you're from Galax. Just to show that nervousness doesn't necessarily have much to do with how important the situation is, the most nervous I ever get is at the top of that ramp in the tent at Felt's Park before going on stage just to get my money back at the fiddler's convention! Go figure!

pathfinder
Jul-21-2004, 12:57pm
All good tips so far. #How about imagining that Bill Monroe is looking down, and that he expects you to give a good account of yourself and your music? #

It's your turn to step up to the plate. #So "swing for the fences" and make Bill smile. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

blammo
Jul-21-2004, 1:06pm
I used to be the mc for my old band, & I always tried to pick up a couple of new jokes every week to throw out & lighten things up a bit. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. Lord knows no one else is! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

I used to get horrible stage fright for years! Actually it was more of pre-show jitters. I used to have to uh…go to the bathroom…before every show. I even got sick to my stomach once. I eventually got over it by playing a zillion shows…and above all, just made sure I was as prepared for the gig as possible. What I was really afraid of was just making a fool of myself in front of my peers. Of course I made the whole situation far more dramatic to myself, like I was going into battle or facing the lions in the Coliseum. Once I realized my self-esteem wasn't really on the line, I lightened up & actually played more confidently.

I still get nervous driving to the gig though…but once I see the stage I feel fine.

Oh yeah, you might think drinking will help, but through years of testing this theory, I have found the opposite to be true. Watching a drunk, nervous musician can be entertaining, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Doug Edwards
Jul-21-2004, 1:55pm
I too have problems with getting too nervous. It is getting better and I'm gaining more confidence as I go along.

The best thing that helps me is knowing some of the audience are friends/family and I'm playing to them. I imagine I'm jamming with the guys and we're having a great time. When I can keep this focus I do pretty good.

Ken Sager
Jul-21-2004, 1:57pm
Somebody else mentioned this, but audiences don't usually go out to hear music to be critical. They'll typically open up to you if you open up to them...

My tips:
1) Start simple and build up your confidence slowly.
2) It often helps to vocally address an audience, even if you aren't the band leader or MC. Just step up to a mic and talk to them, then start talking through your instrument. This can have an effect of creating a connection with the audience that reminds you they are just people, too. You and the audience become just a group of folks in a room, and you just happen to be playing music.
3) You should play in front of an audience for the same reasons you play in your living room - because you love to play! If you can convey that to an audience, even in a small dose, they'll love it regardless of how fancy you play.
4) Like anything you want to get good at you have to practice it. Playing in front of audiences takes practice playing in front of audiences. Over time you'll start to wonder why you used to get worked up about it.

Have fun,
Ken

HDSJR
Jul-21-2004, 3:10pm
I was always terrified of performing in front of others. #As it turns out, my first real public performance was in a competition with a little group that we had put together a couple of months before. #I was the guitarist for the group and one of the songs we played, Alabama Jubilee, had a guitar break. #I should add that I didn't have much experience playing lead. #We were in a rather large auditorium and there were maybe 300 in the audience. #When the break passed off to me, I thought that I would freeze into a solid block. #Actually, I got a round of applause that came at the same time that I crashed, so it was mostly unnoticed, except by me. #We didn't place in the instrumental category, but, to my surprise, took third place in the vocal. #I guess they couldn't hear my voice shaking as I sang lead on Lonesome Feeling! #That was a hundred or so performances ago. #Now I still get butterflies before the performance, but they go away as soon as we get started.

I don't think there's really a lot you can do, if you're prone to nervousness, but play through it and get the experience to make it less of an influence on you. If you want to do it bad enough, the pain of the nervousness will give way to the pleasure of performing. I still don't like to compete individually on the guitar, but enjoy band competitions. #
Whipping that fear will make you feel good about yourself.
Good luck.

John S
Jul-21-2004, 3:13pm
I think the best way to combat stage fright is to go up there with the knowledge that you can play your solos easier than falling off a log. If you can't play your solos with that degree of ease, then make a change -- either simplify the solos or practice more until you have achieved that level of confidence. It's not necessarily the easiest solution, but IMO it is the best solution. I know that as a listener, I'd much rather her a simple solo played beautifully than a complex solo played sloppy, so don't be afraid to simplify. The mando is doing most of the work for you by just the great sound it makes!

Secondly, try not to go up on that stage with the attitude of having something to prove or that you need to make these people recognize what a good player you are. Do any of them honestly care if you're a hot picker? #Doubtful... they just want to hear some good music. So join them in the joy of making good music and put all else aside. #I know this isn't easy either, and I struggle with this very thing. It's difficult for me to put my ego aside, and the result is that fear of failure stiffens me up and gives me jitters. So these days I'm working on changing my attitude about music as much as I am practicing! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

c3hammer
Jul-21-2004, 3:27pm
Breath!

I get locked up and don't breath during my breaks.

I did my first state instrument contest this weekend in the novice class. I was calm and collected until I stepped up on the stage. Couldn't breath, couldn't see, felt like a brick and basically had no clue what was going on.

I ended up second.........

Out of 2 people, but I actually got through fishers hornpipe and little rabbit without blowing up http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Just remember to breath and play. In the end it's all for fun anyway. If we didn't challange our selves, what would be the point?

Cheers,
Pete

wah
Jul-21-2004, 3:33pm
Don't forget that many pro performers get bad stage fright. After all, The Band wrote a song about it. I was talking with a co-worker about the flap over Linda Ronstadt in Vegas and she pointed out to me that Ronstadt gets stage fright so bad she needs a telepromter to help her keep her place. A good friend told me that U. Utah Phillips gets stage fright so bad he has to have everything he's going to do scripted out. Now if you've ever seen Utah you wouldn't believe that because it's like sittin' on a front porch listening to this old guy chat with you. I learned from years of theater that it's ok to have stage fright, just focus on what you have to do.

Wayne

Jim Rowland
Jul-21-2004, 3:40pm
GDAE mates,

I was a radio announcer for many years and for about ten of them,I did MC chores and read commercials at a weekly live show. I did OK until I looked into the audience and saw some Disc Jockeys from a rival radio station on the fifth row. For some reason,the lines went down between my brain and my mouth and I started booting words and generally doing a bad job of it. The terror continued during the next week's show and I began to get nervous on about Thursday in anticipation of the Saturday event,regardless of the audience. I was fine in the booth,but tied in knots with the live audience. I tried everything,including trips to the saloon next door to end the misery. Nothing worked. But I just kept going back and over time I came to enjoy the work. Now,at my advanced age,I am learning the mandolin. I'm fine in front of a non- judgemental audience,but when I know a real picker is out there the old trouble returns. I know I can beat it if I live long enough. I've been a builder for about thirty years now and started specializing in mandos several years ago,so I would like to learn to play one well.
Jim

Ken Sager
Jul-21-2004, 4:16pm
Couldn't breath, couldn't see, felt like a brick and basically had no clue what was going on.
Pete,

I had no idea you experienced that. Outwardly you looked like you always do, calm and self-assured.

I still think you did a great job.

There is a quote from Goethe, of all people, that I like to remember when I get tense... it goes a little something like this:

"Whatever you think you can do or
believe you can do, begin it. Action
has magic, grace, and power in it."

It's all about the doing.

Best,
Ken

mandodebbie
Jul-21-2004, 4:42pm
One thing that I have learned when performing anything (I used to act in our local theatre group) was that what the audience doesn't know (ie: your MIND KNUMBING TERROR!!) won't come across to them at all. I agree with one of the other people who wrote. The people aren't there to criticize, just to hear some good music. A good way to forget your nervousness is to simply concentrate on your music and instrument. Pretend you're just playing for Grandma or your cat for that matter. Would they critize? Oh, and by the way, my boss wants me to bring my mandolin to work tomorrow. I have to play in front of him and all my co-workers!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Dru Lee Parsec
Jul-21-2004, 5:48pm
OK, it's time to make a confession. #I made my living for 2 years as a professional magician. #I performed for anywhere from a private resteraunt table with 2 people to a large convention hall with 4000 people watching. #I can honestly say that the only way I know of to get rid of stage fright is to keep getting up in front of people and performing.

I also worked at a magic shop during the day so I was "on" 8 hours a day. #I had to be able to perform just about any effect in the store for a customer so I was always "performing". #Let me tell you, when you are essentially practicing 8 hours a day you get really really good. #After that kind of constant exposure you just arn't scared any more.

Now, I understand that you can't go perform 8 hours a day just to learn how not to have stage fright, but you can put yourself in public speaking and performing situations. #Find things like open mic nights, bluegrass jams, etc. #Joining Toastmasters (http://www.toastmasters.org/) may be a good option for you as well.

So essentially, you practice your art/music/speech/presentation until you're TOTALLY confident with it. #And then go do that in as many place as you can. #You can learn to overcome stage fright. #It is absolutly possible to train yourself not to feel nervous. #It just takes time and practice (just like playing mandolin) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Good luck.

solerydr
Jul-21-2004, 9:24pm
I used to get stagefright but now I just get drunk, and ya know what? I think I sound much better!

ShaneJ
Jul-21-2004, 9:33pm
Sing like you're in the shower, and play like you're just having fun. Go for broke and do just that - have fun! The more "perfectionistic" you become, the more you'll mess up. Everybody misses a note and stumbles live. It's no big deal. If it's really bad, make a joke out of it (don't apologize and be embarrassed). Stop the band, look at the guy next to you, wave your hand in front of your grimmaced face and say, "Man, Larry! Was that you?" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

solerydr
Jul-21-2004, 9:37pm
Yeah blame it on the banjo player!!!HAHA

straight-a
Jul-22-2004, 6:53am
I don't have a problem with playing in front of people. My problem is [/I]PERFORMING[I]in front of people. There are times that I just don't want to stand up there and smile and connect with the audience. I tend to be introverted and it can be a problem when you are in a performing situation.

As far a nervousness goes, I was taught a great lesson by an old gentleman many years ago. He told me "Boy, you need to know that them folks out there can't play like you. If they could, they'd be up here with you. Now play for'em!" One of the finest life lessons I've ever had.

mandofiddle
Jul-22-2004, 10:03am
As Keller Williams says...

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody is watching...

Then you can add..

Sing like you're singing in the shower
and play like no one is listening

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bluebird
Jul-22-2004, 10:06am
Thanks Everybody! for the feedback. I think, I'll just handle it and GIT R DONE! Drop the ego the self judging and perform and perform. Thanks Again!

TheNaivePicker
Jul-22-2004, 6:54pm
Maybe its just me, But I find a glass of milk (or in my case, chocolate milk) Relaxes me before I preform. I dont get stage fright, I just get extremley nervous.
#Another Thing That Helps; When you get on stage, talk to the audience, you know, ask them How theyre doing, tell them about the peice your going to play, or for the heck of it, comment on how nervous you are, make em laugh a bit. It helps.. Its like your getting to know them, so Its like your not really playing for random strangers..lol..

Mark Normand
Jul-23-2004, 1:38pm
A stage musician told me a few weeks ago, that he looks upon the crowd, and realizes (again) that 99.5% can't play at all. He's ok after that! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandofiddle
Jul-23-2004, 1:40pm
Maybe its just me, But I find a glass of milk (or in my case, chocolate milk) Relaxes me before I preform.
FYI, if your a singer in the group, don't drink milk. Or anything else dairy for that matter... Bad for the vocals. I'm not exactly sure why, but it was passed to me from a few different people who were told that by their vocal coaches.

Ken Sager
Jul-23-2004, 2:31pm
It's mucus, that's why. You'll be clearing your throat all night long.

jim_n_virginia
Jul-23-2004, 6:20pm
The LEGENDARY Loretta Lynn just did a concert here in Norfolk, VA a few months ago and it was reported that when she stepped out onto the stage she told the audience "well I'm gonna sing a few tunes for yall and if anyone thinks they can do better, git on up here!" which brought a huge laugh.

Seriously... in addition to music I have studied drama and different acting techniques for many years and they all pretty much say the same thing. The MORE you are up there the more comfortable you will be.

I use humor a lot, I will almost always start out by joking around a little (not TOO much the audience didn't come to see a comedian!)to mask my slight nervousness. And I DO still get butterflies a little before a show but I have learned this is normal for the most party. As soon as I get into it they go away.

I was told by one of my mentors that the butterflies are ok and that the time to worry is when you don't get them anymore!

One tip I have learned over the years and I think someone may have touched on it already and that is to NEVER and I repeat... EVER comment on your OWN work (or anybody else’s!)

If you screw up NEVER acknowledge it by grinning sheepishly, swearing, apologizing or by saying OOOPS!!!

Just keep going, half the audience will never know and half of the rest will be busy yakking to their friends!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

TheNaivePicker
Jul-23-2004, 9:47pm
Dont worry Mandofiddle.. I dont sing much, I dont wanna kill anyone, http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif #
#Cold things before you sing and clearing up your throat is bad... I know I know #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Trip
Jul-26-2004, 10:35pm
I think a little nerves before a show is normal.....kinda lets you know your alive.......and a couple of beers works for me.....
not drunk, but loosened up a bit

StrangerStringBand (http://www.strangerstringband.com)

Rroyd
Jul-27-2004, 12:05am
My favorite advice posted here so far was "breathe!" I find myself forgetting to breathe on something I'm not comfortable with, so some of the other advice about doing what you are comfortable with certainly enters in. A couple of thoughts about other things mentioned here: when you practice on your own and make a mistake, play through it and keep on going. That way, you have experience in dealing with making a mistake. If you stop and correct it in your living room, that will be your first instinct on stage, so train yourself to keep on going. (I recall attending a concert by a classical guitarist who, upon making a mistake, would back up about two measures and play through it again. It was apparent that he had trained himself with that type of practice technique, much to the dismay of his listeners.)
Don't dwell on it if you make a mistake, or you will find they continue, exponentially. Just think "oops" and then go on, and laugh it off. (I played with a bass player who would curse himself on stage if he screwed up, and the rest of us thought about what he was thinking when we made a mistake, and it didn't take many weeks of that warm fuzzy atmosphere that he created on stage before we found someone else.) I used to pick out an individual or two in the crowd who seemed to be having a good time, and then I would play to them. As the gig went on and I relaxed a bit, my audience would grow, but I would still rely on those first few people I had picked out to get through the tough places. Some folks find it easier to play for friends and acquaintances, while others find it more comfortable with a group of strangers, but you can always find a friendly face or two, either way. Keep at it, and play at any opportunity, and you will find the other posters were right about it getting easier. Have fun!

John S
Jul-27-2004, 7:11am
It's mucus, that's why. You'll be clearing your throat all night long.
The hills are alive with the sound of mucus http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Yellowmandolin
Jul-27-2004, 8:02am
One of my bass playing friends is terribly afaid of the audience so he takes his glasses off so he can't see them!