PDA

View Full Version : roasting marshmallows

ellisppi
Dec-15-2008, 2:28pm
What I thought would be next year's production at least got us some marshmallows toasted. uummm good!

joshua collum
Dec-15-2008, 3:01pm
come on now, Did you really burn up all that nice wood and hard work? If so, theres gotta be a law prohibiting that sort of behavior..That is NOT ok.:disbelief:

mrmando
Dec-15-2008, 3:07pm
Wow, Tom, those are some expensive marshmallows. Hope they tasted good.

That looks like only one set of plates, however ... I hope a similar fate didn't befall next year's ENTIRE production.

sunburst
Dec-15-2008, 3:13pm
Might want to stick to backs and necks for roasting. Spruce gives marshmallows a funny taste!

JEStanek
Dec-15-2008, 3:27pm
Now if had been using a truss rod for the roasting skewer that would have been the trifecta of WRONG! Funny/Sad photo.

Jamie

sgarrity
Dec-15-2008, 3:31pm
I fail to see anything sad about this photo. Mistakes get made, pieces of wood don't turn out the way they should, etc. It looks like a humorous way to get rid of the seconds pile.

JEStanek
Dec-15-2008, 3:38pm
I guess it's just sad to me in that it represnts efforts going unfulfilled and I would really like to have a 2nd back plate just to stain and hang on the wall... But in essence Shaun, you're right.

Jamie

Skip Kelley
Dec-15-2008, 3:38pm
:disbelief: Tom, say it ain't so!!

MikeEdgerton
Dec-15-2008, 3:48pm
Hmmm, reminds me of this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27712&highlight=hans+burn) builder.
Stuff happens.

Hans
Dec-15-2008, 4:36pm
Ahh, chipmunks roasting on an open fire....

ellisppi
Dec-15-2008, 5:27pm
Don't nobody worry too much, there is nothing usable in there

joshua collum
Dec-15-2008, 6:49pm
All of us mado junkies get a little freaked out with a picture like that. It really is a neat photo though. Kinda makes you think differently about flamed maple.:mandosmiley:

Michael Gowell
Dec-16-2008, 4:32pm
When an oldtime boatbuilder makes a mistake it goes into the shop woodstove. A tradition among many woodworkers, I suspect.

John Flynn
Dec-16-2008, 4:35pm
I thought you were going for that really "dry" tone!

rmoss
Dec-16-2008, 10:44pm
That photo actually makes me feel a little better about the neck I just hosed up. Thanx Tom for the encouragment!!!

Michael Cameron
Dec-16-2008, 11:28pm
I fail to see anything sad about this photo. Mistakes get made, pieces of wood don't turn out the way they should, etc. It looks like a humorous way to get rid of the seconds pile.

Shaun,I'm not sure you were at the SE Comando campfire when I sacrificed my old Stella guitar(it was for the best);but,still,a reverent moment. I still get verklempt...seeing those celluloid parts flame up then turn black.

At least they went down in flames!

Honorably.

sgarrity
Dec-16-2008, 11:44pm
I wasn't there for the guitar sacrifice. I hope someone played a fitting hymn as it went up in flames. ;-)

pjlama
Dec-17-2008, 1:46am
Nice fire Tom, I bet the crackle had a nice sound. I just checked out your site looking for A model pics (I'm dying for one) and discovered all the updates. I dig the scrapbook!

man dough nollij
Dec-17-2008, 1:51am
PJ,

Don't you have a new one?

Lee

Rob Powell
Dec-17-2008, 5:57am
Looks to me to be just desserts for misbehaving tonewood ;)

pjlama
Dec-17-2008, 11:49am
PJ,

Don't you have a new one?

Lee

Not yet, I'm sucking wind with the economy so until my Giacomel finds a new home I'm in a holding patern. Ah, the ups and downs of the small business owner.

sgarrity
Dec-17-2008, 11:54am
Not yet, I'm sucking wind with the economy so until my Giacomel finds a new home I'm in a holding patern. Ah, the ups and downs of the small business owner.

I sure feel your pain. I'm an Account Exec. for a technology company and work on commission. I'm glad I like what I have. Cuz I sure won't be buying anything else for awhile and hopefully won't have to sell anything!

If I was in the market thought, I'd have a new Ellis A5 in a heartbeat. Have you seen the one at Gruhn's?? Dang that's a fine looking mandolin!

Phillip Tigue
Dec-17-2008, 12:05pm
Next time, PLEASE get rid of them a la Jimi Hendrix @ Monterey Pop!

pjlama
Dec-17-2008, 1:18pm
Honestly by selling the G and getting the E I'll be putting some needed dough in my pocket plus I never met a new mandolin I didn't like, especially when it says Ellis on the headstock.

Michael Cameron
Dec-17-2008, 9:25pm
What I thought would be next year's production at least got us some marshmallows toasted. uummm good!

It doesn't seem like that long ago...I was at Tom's place asking him to make me a nut for my Gilchrist mandolin. I let him know,then,that I sincerely wanted him to make me a mandolin;but,it didn't work out. I think he was making some killer banjer necks at the time.

He made me a really perfect nut though. I even ate supper there,IIRC.
I don't think I even paid him.

All I remember is some talk about him enslaving children to cut pearl.
Or something like that.

Sunsets always make me homesick,

c

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-18-2008, 3:04am
Do Ellis marshmallows sound any better than other makes - do they sizzle better ?,
Saska :grin:

Hans
Dec-18-2008, 7:39am
Looks to me to be just desserts for misbehaving tonewood ;)

It's a poor workman that blames his tonewood. :)

Merry Christmas to all!

Jim Hilburn
Dec-18-2008, 9:49am
For what it's worth, it's very enterrtaining to throw the marshmallows into the fire and watch what happens. Much better than actually put them in your body.

Daniel Nestlerode
Dec-19-2008, 5:19am
Next time, PLEASE get rid of them a la Jimi Hendrix @ Monterey Pop!

Yeah, put on a frilly white shirt with a vest, go out on stage, use way too much lighter fluid, and kneel in mock reverence of the flames.

No wait, toasting marshmallows seems a little more ummm... normal.
:))

Daniel