PDA

View Full Version : blues films

billkilpatrick
Jul-21-2004, 2:04am
i saw two films recently on the blues - both were wonderful. one was by wim wenders on j.d. lenoir and skip james and the other was by clint eastwood made up from interviews he had with blues piano playing "legends."

dr. john from new orleans sang a verse from a song that went something like this:

if you ever find some money
go out and buy everything you can get.
if you ever find some money
go out and buy everything you can get.
i don't know 'bout you
but i ain't seen
no armored car
funeral
yet

cheers - bill

Sellars
Jul-21-2004, 2:10am
Those are high on my list!

I think it is a terrific project, with the films, DVDs, CD-set and the individual CDs comming out. It's about time to show "the public" what blues is and where it came from.

Most people say they know and like blues, and all the time they know nothing more than the most cliché 12 bar blues without mojo.

(disclaimer: at least that is my experience):blues: http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

bluesmandolinman
Jul-21-2004, 4:09am
I love the J.B.Lenoir film too!

Look also for :

"Louie Bluie" with Howard Armstrong
"Tennessee Tornado" with Yank Rachell

Enjoy !

ira
Jul-22-2004, 10:05am
i'll have to check out the lenoir and tenessee tornado. louie bluie holds aspecial place for me. my former teacher played guitar and mando with howard a. for his last 10 yrs or so. when bruce millard(my tchr-you can hear his mando on the last kweskin album) and his band played a show at the natick center for the arts last year, howard and his wife showed up and played the last few. howard on mando and singing. his last public performance as far as i know. he died soon after.

bluesmandolinman
Jul-22-2004, 1:25pm
cool having a teacher like Bruce i guess... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

bmac
Jul-23-2004, 7:43am
Regarding the short film Louie Bluie (with and about Howard Armstrong). Does anyone know if this film is available for trental or purchase anywhere? I know the album (from the sound track) is available currently but I would like to see the film.

Another Armstrong album - Louie Bluie recently went out of print. I was able to get one of the last copies and would highly recommend it if you can find it.