Tripp Johnson
Dec-11-2008, 6:56am
That's gorgeous, enjoy it!

Barb Friedland
Dec-11-2008, 7:40am
Sound clips please! It looks wonderful!

Don Grieser
Dec-11-2008, 8:34am
Which flavor of brew/whiskey is that color? Beautiful. Hope you have some extra time off around the holidays to enjoy it.

Pete Martin
Dec-11-2008, 8:42am
Congratulations, Guitharsis. There are no finer oval hole mandolins around (I have a 'dola and an octave).

Skip Kelley
Dec-11-2008, 8:44am
Sweet!! Very nice color! Bill does an awesome job!!

JEStanek
Dec-11-2008, 8:45am
Fantastic.

Jamie

sgarrity
Dec-11-2008, 8:55am
Mr Bussman makes one very fine mandolin!

Mark Walker
Dec-11-2008, 10:12am
Beautiful!

Can I have one? :)

John Flynn
Dec-11-2008, 10:39am
That is sweet! Welcome to the Old Wave Oval Club!

oldwave maker
Dec-11-2008, 11:04am
May the mandoangels watch over it and keep it safe as it travels from the southwest to the northeast!

chasray
Dec-11-2008, 11:24am
I love it.
Happy holidays!

PhilGE
Dec-11-2008, 11:54am
Magnifique! Of course, I have no bias whatsoever (http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/OldWaveA/PhotoAlbum15.html)... ;)

guitharsis
Dec-11-2008, 2:05pm
Thanks for your good wishes everyone. As you can tell by Bill's post, it's still in New Mexico and will arrive here next week. He describes the sound as "ringing bell-like tone and excess sustain". Perfect!
The color was one Bill created by my telling him that I admired Phil GE's color and the F-12 at Bernunzio's www.bernunzio.com. He wanted to get the color somewhere in between. As you can see, he got it just right.

guitharsis
Dec-12-2008, 9:42am
Which flavor of brew/whiskey is that color? Beautiful. Hope you have some extra time off around the holidays to enjoy it.

Maybe the builder will check in again and answer this question.:)

oldwave maker
Dec-12-2008, 10:57am
I mix up yellow, red, vintage amber, honey amber and/or medium brown stew-mac colortone stains in denatured alcohol the day I'm applying it, sprayed directly on the bare wood, sealed with a combo of pale and dark shellac. This one might be classed as bruichladdich islay singlemalt shading out to glenrothes speyside singlemalt on the top, with the islay shading to jim beam on the rest of the body, a more subtle shading to let the curl thru.....

Michael Cameron
Dec-12-2008, 2:11pm
Congrats,guitharsis!
I've always liked the soundhole inlays on the Old Waves (and the choice wood,kickin tone,perfect set-ups,inherent mojoism,style,...)

Just for the record,I had a nice Old Wave mando(vintage F) for about 3 hours.
Then some smooth-talkin,kindly, gent persuaded me to sell it to him. Oh,well it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

I tend to favor the "Jim Beam" color. (and taste). It's a single malt,maize,bourbon,yes?

Enjoy the OW !

c

Ted Eschliman
Dec-12-2008, 2:12pm
<Warning: Bad Pun Alert>
So Bill, you're telling us the "proof" is in the pudding?

sebastiaan56
Dec-12-2008, 3:08pm
That's the spirit Ted!

One seriously to lust for Mandolin, superb in every way. Ive said it before but I want to be a Bussman when I grow up.

guitharsis
Dec-13-2008, 6:51am
Thanks for checking back in and clarifying things, Bill. :)
Thanks to others for your congrats and comments. Looking forward to receiving my OW next week.
Hoping that it arrives safely here in snow country.

PhilGE
Dec-15-2008, 5:28pm
Any word on your new OW's EDA?

Given the frigid temps (at least around here), it might be wise to let the package warm up a couple of hours before opening, then let the case warm up a few hours before opening (oh, the agony!). From what I've read, this may help prevent any potential damage to the instrument structure or finish from the "shock" of sudden temperature/humidity change.

Lee
Dec-15-2008, 6:00pm
I have one very much like this, but with tortoise binding. I stumbled upon it at Gruhns and out of the entire wall, it's the one that spoke to me. But I was not shopping for a mandolin and flew back home to Phila. Within days I'd made the call to Gruhns and was relieved to find it was still available.
Bill had fitted it with a Red Henry style one piece bridge. I have since fitted it with a Weber Universal heat-treated stainless steel tailpiece. And it plays very comfortably with a birdseye maple armrest.

guitharsis
Dec-16-2008, 5:18am
Hi,Phil. Thanks for your concern and good advice. The expected delivery is late Thursday
afternoon. As difficult as it will be, I will let it acclimate overnight before opening. Don't want to take any chances!
Lee - glad yours didn't get away. It sounds really nice.

Ken Olmstead
Dec-17-2008, 12:56am
Yeah that is Sweet man! I understand they have sound to match!! Enjoy!

guitharsis
Dec-19-2008, 8:23am
It arrived safely yesterday about 5:30 p.m. Waited until 7:30 a.m. today to unpack it.
Absolutely gorgeous! I feel fortunate. Thanks Bill for building me such a beautiful mandolin and for the time and effort to make sure it arrived here safely.

Doreen

PhilGE
Dec-19-2008, 11:16am
Hooray! You're the WOman! ;-) Send us sound clips when you can.

-Phil

P.S. I did perform Mandolin Fanfare yesterday at work with my co-worker, Jeff. It went very well. I've been documenting that process in my blog. I recorded both parts last night and posted the mp3 on the blog and in the thread Results (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)in the Post A Picture... section. I put new JM-11's on the OW and it once again has a full, clear-throated voice.

guitharsis
Dec-21-2008, 3:53pm
Thanks, Phil.

Don't know when I'll be able to post sound clips but I can tell you that the sound is incredible!
It's like no other mandolin that I've played before. It plays so easily too. I see that Bill has two new instruments for sale in the classified and would strongly recommend anyone who's interested in a great oval hole to take a look. NFI of course. A 2007 Old Wave oval hole in the classifeds too. This is a great time of the year to be looking to buy a mando. :)

Did respond to you in the Results thread but I'l respond again. You're playing was very nice and #312 sounds great! It looks like you and your duet partner were having a good time.

Thanks for your good wishes too, Ken. I loved your video and also love your new mando. That was a terrific deal.

Lee
Dec-23-2008, 6:14pm
If this works it'll be a pic of my #325. Note the aftermarket Weber Universal tailpiece, heat-treated stainless steel Doug Edwards birdseye maple armrest. And a one-piece bridge that Bill built.

Lee
Dec-23-2008, 6:17pm
Let's try a neck shot.

Lee
Dec-23-2008, 6:21pm
And the back has the cutest little burble mark in the grain.
(This new photo upload system is great!)

man dough nollij
Dec-23-2008, 6:54pm
And the back has the cutest little burble mark in the grain.
(This new photo upload system is great!)

Like Cindy Crawford's mole.

guitharsis
Dec-24-2008, 6:48am
If this works it'll be a pic of my #325. Note the aftermarket Weber Universal tailpiece, heat-treated stainless steel Doug Edwards birdseye maple armrest. And a one-piece bridge that Bill built.

Very nice, Lee! Love the back too.:)

Lawn Jockey
Dec-24-2008, 8:33am
Awesome guitharsis!!!

Absolutely beautiful. Enjoy in good health.

Merry Christmas!!

fishdawg40
Dec-24-2008, 10:15am
It arrived safely yesterday about 5:30 p.m. Waited until 7:30 a.m. today to unpack it.
Absolutely gorgeous! I feel fortunate. Thanks Bill for building me such a beautiful mandolin and for the time and effort to make sure it arrived here safely.

Doreen

I love my Old Wave. They talk about mojo only being in the old Gibsons but I think Bill has little mojo of his own.

guitharsis
Dec-25-2008, 8:01am
Awesome guitharsis!!!

Absolutely beautiful. Enjoy in good health.

Merry Christmas!!

Thank you, Lawn Jockey. Same to you!

guitharsis
Dec-25-2008, 8:02am
I love my Old Wave. They talk about mojo only being in the old Gibsons but I think Bill has little mojo of his own.

Yes, definitely!:)

PhilTod
Dec-25-2008, 1:15pm
Lovely Looker! Sure it sounds oh so sweet....

guitharsis
Dec-25-2008, 3:57pm
Lovely Looker! Sure it sounds oh so sweet....

Thank you, PhilTod. Yes, absolutely!:)

guitharsis
Jan-03-2009, 8:52am

Lee,
When did you add the Weber Universal tailpiece and the Doug Edwards birdseye maple armrest? Any affect on the sound? They both look great.

Lee
Jan-05-2009, 5:52pm
I can't say for sure if the tailpiece made much of a difference in the sound. First of all the old strings were very old, secondly I changed strings from light-gauge Martin M400's to silk & bronze (nice improvement), and it takes me so long to change strings that a back-to-back comparison would not be possible. Certainly the difference did not slap me in the face.

The armrest is merely a creature comfort.

#413 in the classifieds sure does look purty.

guitharsis
Jan-05-2009, 6:34pm
Thanks, Lee. I read that a tailpiece does sometimes make a difference in sound. If your mandolin was the one that "spoke to you" out of the entire wall of mandolins at Gruhns, you probably wouldn't want the sound to change. I love the sound of my mandolin too!

Yes, #413 is beautiful and a great price!

Lee
Jan-06-2009, 1:07pm
#413 is still there. Will somebody please buy it. Yes, I do have a financial interest in this; my own!
Is that cocabolo or a birdseye maple on the headstock? Black is so overdone.

guitharsis
Jan-06-2009, 6:46pm
#413 is still there. Will somebody please buy it. Yes, I do have a financial interest in this; my own!
Is that cocabolo or a birdseye maple on the headstock? Black is so overdone.

:mandosmiley:

Bob DeVellis
Jan-06-2009, 8:14pm
Old waves are among the very nicest oval holes being made, in my opinion. They're loud, sweet, and balanced. The workmanship is great, too.

Ira Chavis
Jan-06-2009, 9:33pm
A message from my #413, "Please buy me"!

Seriously, #413 is a beautiful example of Bill's work...its very well traveled, having gone to Italy, Spain, South America, and across alot of the US. My only motivation for selling it is that I got one of Bills oval F's and cant justify 2 oval holes. My other mandolin is a Silver Angel A model with F holes and completely different sound. While my price is fair, i'd love to find it a good home, which im sure it will eventually find.

Cheers, Ira

Lee
Jan-07-2009, 5:18pm
OK, fess up whoever you are. #413 is On Hold.
It's rare to see an Old Wave make the second page.

Ira Chavis
Jan-07-2009, 6:57pm
It got sold just today. Well, to be fair, the old wave made it to the second page 2 times... Now someone needs to buy Bill's "Fresh last of 2008 Old Wave" model A.

John Bertotti
Jan-10-2009, 10:37pm
Ira I am so glad you found a buyer congrats!

Stephanie Reiser
Jan-11-2009, 6:39pm
Your Mando looks terrific, but best of all I love your enthusiasm.
Soon you will be changing your name to "Mandolinsis". :mandosmiley:
Have fun!

guitharsis
Jan-12-2009, 5:26am
Thank you, Stephanie! :)

JonC
Jan-12-2009, 1:50pm
Hi,
Im new to the forum and a very proud owner of Old Wave Oval A serial number 417.
My mandolin was imported into the UK by Trevor Moyle of the Acoustic Music Centre as part of "the great mandolin woods experiment".
Trevor commisioned 4 oval As that were identical in every respect except the back and sides - mahogany, walnut, rosewood and maple. The review makes very interesting reading (see http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/erol.html#4042X0 ) and was also published in Acoustic magazine.

I was fortunate enough to snap up the maple model on the same day that the magazine was published. I had decided to buy a quality mandolin but didnt know much about them. Trevor at the Acoustic Music Centre gave fantastic advice, I bought the mandlin and I absolutely love it.

Ive been a guitar player for many many years, but mandolin has taken over, Ive just started to build my first from a Siminoff F5 kit- Im obsessed!

Lee
Jan-12-2009, 5:44pm
Jon,
Your link takes me to their website but not directly to that article and I can't find it.
Help please
Lee

R. Kane
Jan-12-2009, 5:45pm
Welcome, kind stranger. Mr. Bussman himself frequents these postings, and copious praise might elicit a public response. But don't let that stop you from communicating with him directly via the email address that you can find at Old Wave website. We in the 'States consider him to be one of our national treasures, like the official poet laureate or one of those Japanese swordmakers.
RK

John Rosett
Jan-12-2009, 6:13pm
OK, fess up whoever you are. #413 is On Hold.
It's rare to see an Old Wave make the second page.

Okay, it was me! It arrived today, and I just got it out, tuned it up and played it for a while. Very nice! I'd never played an OW before, but I figured if it was good enough for Pete Martin, it was good enough for me, and I wasn't wrong. It has more sustain than the vintage Gibsons that I've owned, and that seems to make chords sound fuller.
Anyway, thanks to Ira for making such a nice mandolin available!

John Rosett
Jan-12-2009, 6:27pm
Oh, and it's REAL purty too...

Ira Chavis
Jan-12-2009, 7:10pm
The mystery new Old Wave owner has stepped forward..Enjoy it John! Ira

guitharsis
Jan-13-2009, 8:06am
Okay, it was me! It arrived today, and I just got it out, tuned it up and played it for a while. Very nice! I'd never played an OW before, but I figured if it was good enough for Pete Martin, it was good enough for me, and I wasn't wrong. It has more sustain than the vintage Gibsons that I've owned, and that seems to make chords sound fuller.

Congrats, John! Enjoy.

Lee
Jan-13-2009, 12:57pm
Has anyone else been able to find the article JonC mentioned above? I'd sure like to read it.

guitharsis
Jan-14-2009, 6:10am
Lee - If you click on "mandolins by maker" and then Old Wave you'll be able to read the review of the Old Wave experiment by Simon Mayor and Dan Beimborn of The Mandolin Archive.

Dan Beimnborn's general comment, "Bill's oval-holded mandolins to me sound more "Snakehead-like" than any other active builder" was most interesting.

Doreen

oldwave maker
Jan-14-2009, 10:37am
And if you do a youtube search for leshassle you can hear a bunch of recent ones being played. The video is a cheap canon minidv, but the audio is a separate sony stereo condenser mic, in case your computer is plugged into your living room sound system!

Pete Martin
Jan-14-2009, 12:02pm

That is great John, I knew with the way you play, you'd like the Old Waves. Watch out, though, pretty soon you'll need an octave, dola, cello, F4, etc from Bill. I'm only 1/2 way to the complete family, but add one every couple of years.

I know everybody gets tired of hearing me say this, but Bill (Old Wave) makes the best oval hole mandos around anywhere.

guitharsis
Jan-10-2016, 6:01am
<Removed by Moderator, Please read the Posting Guidelines: Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.>

red7flag
Jan-11-2016, 11:50am
I have a Old Wave mandola that looks almost identical to yours. I simply love that instrument. It has great playability and tone. Bill makes a great short neck oval. When I saw my manola in the classifieds I snapped that baby up and never looked back. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am. Bill is a great guy to work with.

WoMando
Jul-11-2016, 10:27pm
Oh, wow! Congratulations. Bill builds a super-sweet instrument. Enjoy!

red7flag
Jul-22-2016, 12:34pm
Looks like the younger brother of my Old Wave mandola. Besides size the only difference I can see is white vs. tortoise binding. Great looking mandolin.