PDA

View Full Version : Funky A3 on eBay

mrmando
Dec-11-2008, 12:58am
This (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160304279300) A3 appears to have a replaced back No label, wrong color, no binding or binding channel. Do you think the sides were also replaced, or just refinished? I'm not sure.

The tailpiece cover looks right, but somehow the tailpiece itself does not -- something about the "tongue" is bugging me, and it ain't just that the screws don't match.

Then, of course, we have the '50s bridge, the bizarre endpin and the replaced treble tuners. And someone has stamped the number 1965940 on the back of the headstock. I might accept 19659 as a plausible serial number for this thing, but what's the 40 doing there?

danb
Dec-11-2008, 7:03am
I'm seeing evidence of a replaced (flat?) back too. It's *at least* been badly reglued (note the coloring on the back seam shown in side views). Crack next to neck block bass side.. evidence of a peghead split along the middle laminate.. replaced tuner plate as you noted.. generally looks like a basket case to me. The end block could also be damaged from the attempt to force too large of an endpin in place.

The number on the peghead doesn't make sense, it's not a while one. I'd guess 13xxx or 14xxx

gibson mandoman
Dec-17-2008, 11:03pm
Still probably a decent buy for $300. I have seen other all original Gibsons with the endpin the same as this A-3.