PDA

View Full Version : Funny G string with D'Addario J75??

brotherwo
Dec-10-2008, 1:12pm
Hey there...

To be honest, I dont change strings often and I'm a novice at changing them so that might have a lot to do with my question.

So someone gave me a set of J75s and I decided to try them out. After struggling to put them on (still have a hard time stringing), the G strings sound a little strange..buzzing style, the other 6 sound normal to me.

Has any one run into this problem?
Is this sound a product of incorrect stringing? When I was stringing I followed DAddario video...the best I could. However I might have tucked the string under itself in the wrong direction.

The string is tight but could sloppy stringing around the "rut" (tuners) cause this. Or am I crazy and this is just the sound of a new G string???

lenf12
Dec-10-2008, 3:53pm
J75s have a 0.041" diameter iirc which may be fatter than what you had on there before. It could be that the strings are buzzing on a fret. Assuming you have an adjustable bridge, raise the action just a bit on the bass side. Try a 1/4 turn at a time on the adjustment wheel on the bass side of the bridge. It should clear up within a full turn or so.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

brotherwo
Dec-10-2008, 4:09pm
J75s have a 0.041" diameter iirc which may be fatter than what you had on there before. It could be that the strings are buzzing on a fret. Assuming you have an adjustable bridge, raise the action just a bit on the bass side. Try a 1/4 turn at a time on the adjustment wheel on the bass side of the bridge. It should clear up within a full turn or so.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

thanks for fielding that newbie question! I cant wait to get home and try it!
:mandosmiley:

Ill let you know if it works

TonyP
Dec-10-2008, 7:17pm
I will bet it's how you wound the strings on the tuner posts. When I first started playing mandolin I had a mystery buzz I could NOT find. Turned out it was the strings were so close(only the G's) between the tuner post and the nut, they could actually make the noise.

What I did wind the first G string normal, below the hole you put the string through on the tuner post. Then, the next G, wind it above the hole. Does that make sense?

Phil Goodson
Dec-10-2008, 7:26pm
I'd guess it's not going to be fret buzz. Since a larger string will likely sit higher on the nut, higher on the saddle, and have a higher tension at standard tuning.

You should wind all strings below the post hole, at least after the first turn.

Dara Korra'ti
Dec-18-2008, 2:02am
I am not very fond of the D'Addario strings; they sound okay, but I had inconsistent behaviour out of them. I use Martin 80/20s with better results. I don't like the Martin SP 80/20s; they are very durable but they lack a liveness I want to hear.

Mike Snyder
Dec-18-2008, 4:34am
I've never seen that video. I hook the string at the tailpiece, onto bridge, then the nut, then 3 wraps on the post, bottom up. Then through the hole. Never slips or buzzes. Stays in tune well.
I was the sloppiest wrapper (rapper?) ever, and had tuning and buzz headaches before. Now I'm a rap artist. I've got arthritis, also, and sometimes do some hip hop.
P.S.- EXP74s and I really like them.

Tom C
Dec-18-2008, 9:12am
I bet it just the tingy sound of new strings. Just play it for a few hours and you see hear big changes. When I first started 10 years ago, I got a Flatiron that sounded great. When I changed strings for the first time, I came into a panic by the tone. It played out.

Keith Erickson
Dec-18-2008, 10:06am
I'm a big fan of J-74's. It has been mentioned in another thread that they have been having some quality control issues, but I have yet to experience a bad set of D'Adarrios.

Good luck :)

Michael Cameron
Dec-18-2008, 11:16am
I've never seen any inconsistency/problems in D'Addario strings(20 years worth). They are the "gold standard" for me.
EXP 74