PDA

View Full Version : Problems

Michael Stover
Dec-08-2008, 1:06am
I don't visit this forum often, but I'm searching for some info and having problems.

First off, I'm looking for info on nut placement and height. I typed 'nut height' into the general search box, and got every thread with the word 'height' in it--including those with no mention of 'nut'. When I typed in just 'nut' I got this message:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : nut
So am I to believe that any word with three letters or less will be ignored by the search function???

Also, I went to the support threads to find some answers. The main page claims there are 90 threads under this heading--why do I only see 25 when I open it?

:mad:...

Joel Spaulding
Dec-08-2008, 1:23am
Welcome DJ Clem!

I am no expert but have been a pretty loyal denizen of the Cafe for 18 months now. So take my advice for what it may be worth and others will chime in with more info soon.

The search function will not find words less than 4 letters. It is my understanding that setting the default to three letters caused more problems than it was worth. ( Scott, Dan or Mike E. are the resident experts on the computer issues.)

If you scroll to the bottom of the 25 (now 26) threads, you can select to view threads from the last month, week, year, etc. The default setting is month, so you will only see the 26 threads started in the past 30(31?) days. If you reset the choice to one year, you will see several more pages of threads.

Regarding the search:
You could try a search of the equipment forum using surrogate terms like : intonation, setup, bridge, "string AND height" or action and you may find info about adjusting the nut/slots. You may have to weed through more threads - but that may be better than finding no threads.

Again, just my top-o'the head thoughts. I am certain more clear and concise info is forthcoming. :)

Good luck!

Joel

Scott Tichenor
Dec-08-2008, 7:41am
I don't visit this forum often, but I'm searching for some info and having problems.

First off, I'm looking for info on nut placement and height. I typed 'nut height' into the general search box, and got every thread with the word 'height' in it--including those with no mention of 'nut'. When I typed in just 'nut' I got this message:

So am I to believe that any word with three letters or less will be ignored by the search function???

Also, I went to the support threads to find some answers. The main page claims there are 90 threads under this heading--why do I only see 25 when I open it?

:mad:...

This subject is covered thoroughly by by software engineers that developed this product, and I stick with their recommendation of four as the lowest number allowed. Much of this has to do with the size and amount of content we're storing. With over 600K posts we are approaching their large forum category and searching on short terms is problematic for the server. There are other options for finding information but I have a day job I need to tun to at the moment, but anticipate Mike Edgerton may be able to help. Or someone will.

There are options at the bottom of every forum to view more than 30 days worth of content, which explains your second observation.

Bob Perrey
Dec-08-2008, 7:47am
Try putting quotation marks around the search term in the search box: "nut height" rather than the just the words themselves. This will turn up all instances of the phrase. This works in most search engines, by the way. Hope that helps.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-08-2008, 8:26am
My next question would be what are you really looking for? There is a builder's section here where you could simply ask the question you are looking for an answer for or you could check out Frank Ford's excellent site www.frets.com (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html) and look at the Items for Luthiers section. There are several articles there on nuts and string height.

As far as searching here, using the quotes around the phrase will indeed find the phrase you are looking for but may not produce the results you are looking for. Half the secret of searching here is figuring out what keywords might actually bring you the results you want. Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query="nut+height"&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=1&beforeafter=before&do=process) are the results of that search.

Michael Stover
Dec-08-2008, 3:04pm
Thanks for the help, all.

Mike--putting the phrase in quotes did the trick. I've gotten into the habit of searching old threads before I post, to avoid redundancy. I think I have enough info to go to work--if I have any more problems I'll be sure to post! Thanks again.