PDA

View Full Version : Hertiage mandolin on eBay

Bernie Daniel
Dec-06-2008, 6:50pm
Very pretty "Heritage" mandolin for sale on eBay.

If it sounds as good as it looks I think it would make someone on this Forum a nice mandolin -- the back and sides look like walnut to me. Very pretty pickguard. Construction looks first class.

Hopefully the price would stay below $1K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heritage-A-Style-Mandolin-1986-pre-war-gibson-style_W0QQitemZ180311107818QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuit ar?hash=item180311107818&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Bill Snyder
Dec-06-2008, 8:35pm
I am not positive, but I think the stamp on the back of the peghead says Made In Indonesia.

Bernie Daniel
Dec-06-2008, 8:46pm
Bill Snyder: I think the stamp on the back of the peghead says Made In Indonesia.

Your eyes are better than mine. That would cool the deal a bit I guess. But the fit and finish LOOKS good at least.

Bernie Daniel
Dec-06-2008, 8:48pm
Bill Snyder: I think the stamp on the back of the peghead says Made In Indonesia.

Your eyes are better than mine. That would cool the deal a bit I guess. But the fit and finish LOOKED good at least.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-06-2008, 10:31pm
I think you'll find that mandolin was made in Kalamazoo by the Gibson folks that decided not to move when Gibson moved. You can read more about the company here (http://www.heritageguitar.com/).

Bill Snyder
Dec-06-2008, 11:02pm
Mike's answer is pretty much the same one given in the auction.
Upon closer inspection I do believe it says Kalamazoo, USA.

And for what it is worth, this is not the first time I have made and mistake. Probably won't be the last either. :disbelief:

f5loar
Dec-07-2008, 1:16am
While this is the A model I have yet to see or pick the fancy F model they made there. Does anybody here have one? It's should be a really good F5 style mandolin.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-07-2008, 8:00am
I've seen several of the A's but I've never seen an F either. I've also never seen any recent A's. I'm assuming they were building whatever was ordered early on. I do know that one gentleman (the name escapes me) that was a Gibson employee was building A's that look very much like these in the Kalamazoo area for some time. I'm always a little taken aback by the tuners on these.

Bernie Daniel
Dec-07-2008, 8:36am
Mike Edgerton: I'm always a little taken aback by the tuners on these.

I was thinking the same thing -- they look like Ping tuners don't they? The mandolin seem beautiful why a cheap tuner. I really like that pick guard.

Dave Cowles
Dec-07-2008, 10:26am
I've seen several of the A's but I've never seen an F either. I've also never seen any recent A's. I'm assuming they were building whatever was ordered early on. I do know that one gentleman (the name escapes me) that was a Gibson employee was building A's that look very much like these in the Kalamazoo area for some time. I'm always a little taken aback by the tuners on these.

Mike, that would be Aaron Cowles. :grin: (May be a distant relative, but NFI, etc.)

NoNickel
Dec-07-2008, 10:59am
I would be a bit worried about the cost of disinfecting the mandolin considering the action those leopard sheets may have seen:)

allenhopkins
Dec-07-2008, 1:20pm
this is not the first time I have made a mistake. Probably won't be the last either.

I thought I made a mistake in 2003, but I was wrong.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-07-2008, 1:51pm
Mike, that would be Aaron Cowles. :grin: (May be a distant relative, but NFI, etc.)

Yup, that would be the one.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-07-2008, 1:52pm
Let's all keep in mind that this is a family forum.

allezlesbleus
Dec-09-2008, 1:26pm
I would be a bit worried about the cost of disinfecting the mandolin considering the action those leopard sheets may have seen:)

QFT! Nice one, I was thinking how to work in something like that.

ALB

squirrelabama
Dec-09-2008, 1:51pm
What's a Gibson A-50 going for these days? This looks similar to one of those (to me anyway), the differences (improvements) being the elevated fingerboard extension and snakehead-(stock)
The A-50 price range might be fair on this IMHO.........

f5loar
Dec-10-2008, 11:40am
This is in no way shape or form close to any A50. The A50 is a short neck F hole mandolin. Different shaped body and fingerboard glued to top. This is a long neck (aka F5 style) F hole mandolin which is more like the Gibson A5 and A9 as stated in the description. With the raised fingerboard (aka F5 style) this would sound much better than any A50. And it is inbetween those 2 models based on the binding. It should be worth an average of the A5/A9 models IMO.