PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron value

big h
Dec-04-2008, 11:10am
Last year at Winfield I took my 91 Flatiron A-5 signature modle to the weber booth. I asked what it was worth and the guy said it was worth at least $2,000 dollars. Is it really worth this much?
:confused:

JEStanek
Dec-04-2008, 11:26am
It was to him. What its worth is now depends on the market but $2k isn't unreasonable.

Jamie

Payit Forward
Dec-04-2008, 9:12pm
It seems to me that Flatirons (specifically, the Montana years) are highly sought after these days based on the prices I've seen. I would love to get a F style Flatiron some day, but they are getting beyond what I can afford. It seems that you can buy a used Weber for less than a comparable Flatiron, and I have to believe they are the same quality (built by the same people using the same practices).

I have never played a Flatiron - just heard high praise for them. I'd be interested to hear from people with experience with both Weber and Flatiron.

Greg H.
Dec-05-2008, 12:36pm
Well, Charles Johnson has a '98 Flatiron A5, http://www.vintagemandolin.com/98flatirona5artist_80624049.html for $2,200 so I'd guess that quote fairly close.

Willie Poole
Dec-06-2008, 11:04pm
Pete...I`ll be the first to admit that a mandolin has to be great for me to give it a heads up, that being said, there was a Bozeman Flatiron F model in a shop near me that stayed there for over a year at what seemed like a reasonable price but it was a dog so it didn`t move, I don`t know what happened to it and the shop sells only imports now....Also I have only played one Weber that I would consider owning and it was from that same shop that had the Flatiron...BTW...I play a Flatiron and there is a difference to me between them and the Webers...I have heard that when Flatirons were made in Bozeman that Carlson and Weber did the actually building and from what I have heard the Weber factory has quite a few builders and they are just checked and signed by Weber...I am only repeating what I have heard so it may not be gospel...Maybe someone that kmows for sure will jump in here and set us straight....Willie

Ken Berner
Dec-12-2008, 12:15pm
That $$$ figure seems a mite high for an early-on Nashville-built "A", even if it were a Signature Series model.