PDA

View Full Version : Best Strings and Gauge

bblaedorn
Dec-03-2008, 11:45am
Hi. I am looking for input on good strings and gauge. I have and acoustic-electric Michael Kelly Legacy. I am looking to amplify it soon. Are there better stings for amplified playing. I have heard nickel strings work well. Also, I have been using medium/light strings, 11-14-24-38. I am thinking of moving up to a little heavier gauge for a deeper more throaty sound. Any input would be great. Please refrain from generic "depends on playing" responses. Thanks.

Mike Bunting
Dec-03-2008, 12:41pm
Can't really comment, don't know how you play. Why don't you try some different strings and see/hear how they sound?

lenf12
Dec-03-2008, 2:50pm
Is your MK mando equipped with a magnetic pickup?? If not, I don't see how nickel strings would help in that regard. If you have a standard piezo pickup, any kind of strings would vibrate the top enough to generate a signal but it would be better with the heavier guages as you suggest. I would start with D'Addario J-74 (.011" - .039") or J-75 (.0115" - .040") as a low cost ($5 or $6 per set), heavier string set than you currently use. I use the D'Addario FT-74 or FT-75 Flat Tops. They are the same diameters as the J series but are round wound and then ground flat (less string zzziinngg noise). They are more expensive at around $11 or $12 a set but they last a longer time for me.

Good luck and happy hunting,
Len B.
Clearwater, FL