PDA

View Full Version : Post a picture of your mandolin ART

Don Christy
Dec-01-2008, 2:46pm
OK,

Inspired by Fred's thread on his newly commissioned art (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=602426) I thought we could post pictures of other mandolin inspired art.

This Fall we finished a large backyard project that included commissioning a large outdoor painting.

The instrumentation is not very common (mandolin, upright bass, and trumpet), but it has a story. I play the mandolin and a little bass. The project design/builder is a trumpet player.

The last photo show our great dog Scout posing in front of the painting wherein she lovingly listens to the mando player.

Don

JEStanek
Dec-01-2008, 2:50pm
That's wonderful. Very unique.

Jamie

Ted Eschliman
Dec-01-2008, 3:52pm
This is from a 36"x24" poster I have hanging in my office:

http://jazzmando.com/images/Heartstrings.jpg

Dad & 10 year-old daughter...

MikeEdgerton
Dec-01-2008, 3:58pm
Ted, the guys were wondering if you could take up the bass.

That's beautiful by the way.

Don Christy
Dec-01-2008, 8:52pm
I forgot to credit the artist. Our painting is by Ryan Marshall of St. Louis.

Don

greg_tsam
Dec-01-2008, 10:04pm
Ted, the guys were wondering if you could take up the bass.

That's beautiful by the way.

:))

John Jenkins
Dec-02-2008, 8:26pm
They don't allow musical instruments (even if I play quietly!) at my job- but I can at least get away with spending a good deal of my time drawing.

Don Christy
Dec-03-2008, 9:24pm
John that's really cool. Do you have a name for it?

John Jenkins
Dec-04-2008, 5:00pm
John that's really cool. Do you have a name for it?

I call it..........Mandolin No. 1

I know- not too creative of a name, but it's the first in a series of (so far) 7 mandolins. I have lots of free time to kill at work, and if I'm not checking out the cafe's message board, I'm probably drawing.

Any suggestions for a better name?

John Jenkins
Dec-04-2008, 5:08pm
btw don, I love the third picture you posted- the two-layered dog "fractal" is great!

Don Christy
Dec-04-2008, 11:48pm
Thanks John,

I'm thinking Mandolin No. 1 is the perfect name. Don't constrain the viewer's imagination with a name imbued with too much meaning ... let their imagination have at it.

just my $0.02

Don

frankenstein
Dec-06-2008, 6:11am
been playing around with keynote, thought i'd post this. hope it's o.k.

Don Grieser
Dec-06-2008, 3:03pm
Here's my Campanella Due on the proposed CD cover of a live show I multi-tracked and played on. We were hoping to have it out by Christmas, but it's not looking like it'll get done by then. The mesa and coyote fence is the view behind the outdoor stage at Jon's venue.

Michael Cameron
Dec-06-2008, 4:02pm
John Jenkins,nice drawing!

Frankenstein,who made the 3-pointer? Beauty.

Don Grieser,any more pics of that Campanella? Would love to see more of it!

frankenstein
Dec-06-2008, 9:04pm
Michael, the 3 point was built by Mike Blohm from montana.

Dan Voight
Dec-06-2008, 11:47pm
Here is a large graphite drawing I did of Thile in 11th grade.

Don Grieser
Dec-07-2008, 11:03pm
Michael,

There's better photos than I can take, and some sound clips of the Due at http://www.campanellastrings.com/due-model/ Mine is an Englemann with X bracing, but it's got the same tonal character as the sound clips. Love it.

Don