PDA

View Full Version : Am I signed IN or OUT?

mandolinlee
Nov-25-2008, 12:34pm
Reason for my question. I'm using a public computer at the local library. This library has a timer on each computer. I signed in to the message board and extended the time when requested, except for the last time. I was busy reading threads when it timed me out. Then I had to re-enter all the info to be registered in the computer. Then when I went to the messsage board, it asked me to sign in,again.

So did the message board sign me out? I appreciate any info you can give me.
Thanks,
Lee

JEStanek
Nov-25-2008, 12:36pm
Probably a local setting on that PC not the message board unless you left the page, and never clicked Remember Me (which you shouldn't do at the library anyway).

Jamie

ApK
Nov-25-2008, 1:29pm
I guessing that when the library computer's time expires it clears the browser of all user data including cookies, so it's highly unlikely that ANY web site would recognize you when you came back after having been timed-out on that machine.
I'd be very surprised (and concerned) if a public computer remembered me when I signed in a second time.

ApK

man dough nollij
Nov-25-2008, 5:58pm
I had a scary experience with a public computer in Hervey Bay, Australia a couple of weeks ago. I opened my Earthlink web mail and found that I was in somebody else's e-mail. I sent the guy a message to let him know that his e-mail was compromised, and I logged him out. Turns out he was staying at the same backpacker, and had used my PC earlier. I happened to run into the IT guy later, and told him the story. He said he has the PCs set up to clear their cookies and history every day. Yikes. That stuff absolutely must be cleared every time a person times out or logs out. Hope nobody is out there sending e-mails from my account...

Mando content: :mandosmiley:

mandolinlee
Nov-25-2008, 7:30pm
Hey:
Thanks for the replies. If when it timed out on me it cleared everything, I feel better about it now.
I envy you folks that have private computers and internet access. Maybe someday.
Just keep playing them mandolins!
Lee

ApK
Nov-25-2008, 9:38pm
I had a scary experience with a public computer in Hervey Bay, Australia a couple of weeks ago. I opened my Earthlink web mail and found that I was in somebody else's e-mail.

I had the exact same experience at a library computer on a Navy base (!) a few years ago. The real moral of course is, make sure you DON'T leave yourself logged in to your personal accounts when done using a public machine. Explicitly log yourself out, and clear the browser yourself.
Especially if you're being naughty online. The next person to use that machine may be your spouse. :redface: