PDA

View Full Version : Calton Deluxe vs. Standard

Bob Stolkin
Nov-23-2008, 6:23pm
Thinking of getting a Calton, but the Deluxe ones I've seen are a bit too heavy for my taste. Does anyone know if the Standard is significantly lighter or not?
Thanks.

mandroid
Nov-24-2008, 2:52am
one less layer of FG cloth laid up in the mold for the shell_ and the catalyzed resin it takes to saturate it, Worth.
~:>

MikeEdgerton
Nov-24-2008, 8:46am
I don't think there's that much difference in weight. Calton's are heavy, both versions.

Tim2723
Nov-24-2008, 9:06am
Yeah, heavy duty cases tend to be, well..heavy. If weight is a serious issue to you, you might want to look toward the lightweight designs. There are a number of nice ones that offer quite a lot of protection despite their light weight.

AlanN
Nov-24-2008, 9:10am
And then there's 'Calton Heavy', which is the oblong job - 4 latches, 2 interior lidded pockets. If you have the baby coffin one, heck that's a featherweight :mandosmiley:

steve V. johnson
Nov-24-2008, 11:31am
When I spoke with Calton about cases for my guitar and bouzouki, they told me that the difference between the regular and the deluxe -in construction- had to do with how much weight the case could support. The Deluxe, as I recall, was much stronger.

This is stacking weight, like an instrument might encounter in an airplane hold with other stuff piled on it.

There are other differences in cosmetics, latches and hardware, too, I think, but this is what sold me on the Deluxe, and I was buying the Calton specifically for airline travel.

stv

steve V. johnson
Nov-24-2008, 11:33am
P.S. Talk to the folks at Calton, I've found them very pleasant and very helpful.

I read recently that the company has changed hands (no, not a corporate takeover of any sort, just the original owners moving on) and the factory is moving from the west of Canada to Newfoundland. I think the move should be complete by now.

I also saw that they expect to introduce some new models soon, including some lighter-weight cases.

stv

mandroid
Nov-24-2008, 11:34am
On the other hand Saga and Gator with their ABS thermoplastic shell construction, are fairly light.

as are the Eastman FG cases , they minimize the surface area too , that saves material, & weight.

but have traded away a little space inside as a result.

Mike Bunting
Nov-24-2008, 12:12pm
Speaking of weight, I don't find that my Calton feels any heavier than a rectangular Loar style case that I have. I've had my Calton for nearly 15 years and couldn't travel without it. BTW, the head office has moved to New Brunswick in the maritimes.

Coy Wylie
Nov-24-2008, 12:20pm
My deluxe Calton is not much heavier than my buddy's Pegasus. The Peg carries easier over the shoulder though. Now carrying around my dred guitar Calton... that's a load!

sunburst
Nov-24-2008, 12:58pm
You bunch of weenies! :grin:

I've carried a top tension banjo (about 12 pounds) in a Mark Leaf case for years. A mandolin in a Calton deluxe case feels feathery light to me.

I don't know the weight difference between the deluxe and the standard Calton cases, but there is a little difference.
Most information is available from Calton on their web site (http://caltoncases.com/), but I don't see anything there about relative weight, standard vs deluxe.
I'm a dealer for Calton, and to clear a couple of things up, yes the company has been sold, but Al Williams isn't "moving on", he's just moving from owner to employee. Calton has supposedly been running two manufacturing facilities, and will through the rest of this year, to get caught up on their unbelievably long back order (I still haven't got my cases that are on order though).

I have never gotten a standard case, only the deluxe. The price difference is not too much, and the choice of colors and extra protection are worth it to me. I like light, reflective colors to help avoid overheating in the sun.

steve V. johnson
Nov-24-2008, 2:03pm
Mike Bunting wrote, "BTW, the head office has moved to New Brunswick in the maritimes."

Yeah, that's right, thanks for the correction, Mike! I should have done the homework...

stv

steve V. johnson
Nov-24-2008, 2:06pm
John corrected me further with, "I'm a dealer for Calton, and to clear a couple of things up, yes the company has been sold, but Al Williams isn't "moving on", he's just moving from owner to employee."

Ah. My source was a news bulletin from Mix Magazine and that was the phrase that wazs used in that little blurb. I didn't realize that he'd stay there. That item also mentioned another owner, I think, or a partner...?

Thanks for setting me straight!

stv

Dale Ludewig
Nov-24-2008, 2:21pm
Like John, I'm also a dealer. I have their standard (I believe that that is what First Quality sells)- I got that before becoming a dealer. I also have a Deluxe. And I have a Pegasus. I haven't noticed a significant difference in weight between the Caltons. Both are excellent cases. So is the Pegasus. I think the Pegasus is a little sexier. Eastman cases are good, much lighter, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable checking an expensive mandolin in one on one of airlines.

But you talk about heavy, as was mentioned earlier, a dreadnaught Calton! Kripes. It should be sold with casters on it.

sunburst
Nov-24-2008, 3:16pm
But you talk about heavy, as was mentioned earlier, a dreadnaught Calton! Kripes. It should be sold with casters on it.

Hmmph!
I'll carry your mandolin and your guitar for you if you'll carry my banjo!

mandroid
Nov-24-2008, 9:03pm
Hey, thats not bad the original HMS Dreadnought was over 18,420 tons displacement.

Dale Ludewig
Nov-24-2008, 9:50pm
I don't know John. You might win that bet. But you haven't lifted mine yet. Why does it seem we build banjos so heavy and want to build mandolins as light, in general, as possible? Maybe that explains why banjos sound the way they do. And there's nothing wrong about that. :)

MikeEdgerton
Nov-24-2008, 9:58pm
Whenever someone offers to carry one of my instruments I always hand them the banjo. I just love the look they get on their face when they pick it up.

Ray(T)
Nov-26-2008, 12:46pm
I've had a "Dreadnaught" Calton case since 1976 and its not really that heavy. Does anyone know what the difference between the Canadian Caltons and the "original" UK Caltons is? I've just ordered a new one for my "A" and the setup seems to be exactly the same as it was 32 years ago - just after Keith Calton started building them. The UK option is a standard case or one with additional reinforcement.
Ray

f5loar
Nov-26-2008, 1:09pm
So is the Oblong big real heavy Calton case for sale now as standard order?
How much for that big boy?
Price cases hard to beat to for protection but again very heavy as expected.
I get the feeling cases are priced by the pound not the design.

mandroid
Nov-26-2008, 3:16pm
Add Luggage Trolley wheels and a pull-up handle , Perhaps?

Paul Hostetter
Nov-27-2008, 7:20pm
Does anyone know what the difference between the Canadian Caltons and the "original" UK Caltons is?

Theoretically none, but for a good while there were some differences that Al initiated that made the Canadian ones distinctly stronger, especially with regards to end compression. That was awhile back.

From Calton's own theoretically Canadian site:
The Deluxe Calton Case features an extra layer of fibreglass for added strength, locks on all catches, a shoulder strap, personalized name plate, and your choice of exterior and interior colours from our available selection.

Players who routinely check their guitars through baggage always go for the extra layer of strength. No one would ever check a mandolin though, would they? You just don't want some drunk stepping on your mandolin and squashing it. The "locks on all catches" feature certainly means nothing anymore since you can't lock cases in our modern terror-free era.

Michael Cameron
Nov-30-2008, 7:28pm
So is the Oblong big real heavy Calton case for sale now as standard order?
How much for that big boy?
Price cases hard to beat to for protection but again very heavy as expected.
I get the feeling cases are priced by the pound not the design.

The only Calton I have is the "Bunker Buster",oblong,big heavy. Don't use it often anymore;just for when Godzilla-strength protection may be needed.

Forget what it cost (years ago). REALLY heavy and room for one of Col. Daves "little Filipino friends". No casters.

I'll try to contribute that one to the "pictures of your case" thread. Didn't see one there.