PDA

View Full Version : What model is this Gibson?

mandopicker63
Nov-23-2008, 2:09am
I have this mandolin that my dad bought me back in the early 70's. the numbers are stamped with black or blue ink inside. They are "3608" then a gap and then "53"

We was told it was an A50 and it was made in 1953. What do you think?
Thanks for your time
mandopicker63

allenhopkins
Nov-23-2008, 8:48pm
I think it's an A-40, since it doesn't have a bound back. The best guide I know to deciphering Gibson serial numbers, and factory order numbers, is here (http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html). Perhaps someone can answer you right off the top of his/her head, though.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-23-2008, 9:04pm
I agree -- A 40.

I think that I have seen some of the A-40's that did have bound backs but they were all mahogany and the A-50's were maple -- that certainly looks like mahogany to me.

Also the tuners should be Klusons they have been changed out on it.

But it sure looks to be in nice shape. These seem to sell in the $400 - $600 on eBay don't they?

mandopicker63
Nov-23-2008, 9:37pm
I have replaced the tuners. Couldn't find the right ones! Thanks

f5loar
Nov-24-2008, 2:09am
The 3608 is the FON (factory order number) and the 53 is the number in the
3608 batch. This is one of those could be a 1948 or a 1950 model. '48 was a bad year for figuring the exact date while '50 a little more stable.
This is the A40N model not the A40 since it has the blonde/natural top.
The A40 is always sunburst. So since you are guessing I would call it a '48 as that sounds lot older then '50 in vintage terms. You know I got an old
40's model Gibson. It's probably a '50 is my gut feeling.
I can see the tuners, the tailpiece and the bridge have all been replaced.
Should have the Kluson tuners (open back in '48 and closed back in '50) and a clamshell type tailpiece and a rosewood bridge with large brass wheels.
These came with pickguards so I guess this one is missing.

mandopicker63
Nov-24-2008, 9:25pm
I still have the rosewood bridge, but it came with that tail piece when we got it back in the 70's. I tried looking for the tuners the other night, but didn't find any for a mandolin(Kluson) This is the 3rd set of tuners.The original turners were open back. I took a ten year break in playing and one day I opened the case to find the pick guard crumbled to pieces. I still play it everyday now. I wished it had a longer neck, but it sure frets great and is the easiest mandolin I have ever played. I just wished I could get it to have more punch with it's chop like the newer one have now days! Thank Ya'll for your info!!!!

mandroid
Nov-27-2008, 12:59am
I had an A 40 N for a long time , it looks like seeing an old friend again,

the sides I think are bent using solid mahogany,.. Back is 3 veneer layers of mahogany, laminated into that arch shape. i believe

My Kluson tuners used those infamous plastics that deteriorated over time ,

still be using the originals if replacement buttons were available then like they are now.