PDA

View Full Version : F-Style for under $3K

TBoone
Feb-06-2004, 3:19pm
I hate to ask for the "best" F for under $3K, but I'm getting ready to buy my first F-style and am looking for recommendations of quality instruments in that price range.

Thanks,
Tim

Mandobar
Feb-06-2004, 3:46pm
pomeroy instruments. don paine is the builder. although i believe that he said his prices were going to inch up.

his F5's started at $2500.

Jonathan James
Feb-06-2004, 3:49pm
There is a nice looking Gibson F5-G in the classifieds for $2600. I've got one and they are bodacious!

pathfinder
Feb-06-2004, 3:50pm
You haven't provided much information so you're likely to get a whole range of advice, because there's a lot of good 'F' mandos out there for less than $3K. #

What style do you play ('F' models are good for bluegrass and jazz, but not generally popular for celtic or classical). #

Do you want to buy new or used? #In other words, how important is having an original owner's warranty? #

Where are you located? #How important is it to buy close to home (for servicing, repairs, etc). #

What models have you tried out so far? #Which ones have caught your eye and ear? #

Do you intend to keep it for the long haul, or are you looking for a model with good resale value to use as a trader when you upgrade down the road?

stopint
Feb-06-2004, 4:17pm
I found my Gibson F5-G for under $3,000...also a Gibson F-9 is solid and my other fave ... Ratliff ...

doanepoole
Feb-06-2004, 4:19pm
Flatiron Festival F's are usually priced used a little above the 2K range...I like mine:D

mandomick
Feb-06-2004, 5:49pm
Mandohack has a cherry Gibson F9 listed in the classifieds for $2100 I believe.

Nolan
Feb-06-2004, 6:00pm
There are a lot of up and coming builders out there who are under 3K. When I got the $$ for a good mandolin I bought from a smaller builder who was at $2500 and it was a good mandolin.

Looking back I wish I would have just bought a used mandolin like one of those Gibson F-5g's or maybe a Collings 'A'. With a Gibson you get a mandolin that is right down the middle and will allow you to form your own opinions on what you like in a mandolin. When you get to that point then you can sell it, get you money back and then order that custom you've been wanting. Small builder mandolins sometimes are tough to sell on the used market without taking a hit. At least in the under 3K range.

That's just my 2 cents..

TBoone
Feb-06-2004, 6:16pm
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Keep 'em coming.

Couple of more questions. Other than the classifieds here, where are good places to check for used mandos . . . I know the usual like Elderly's, Mandolin Brothers, etc., but would be interested in other sources.

I'm also interested in the "up and coming" builders who maybe haven't made the name for themselves, but do have a lot of promise based on what you guys have seen.

Thanks again,
Tim

Dave Voyles
Feb-06-2004, 6:28pm
Larry Muth in Canada is getting a good reputation. I have one of his f styles coming this spring. Closer to $2000 than $3000 with the exchange rate. There have been discussions about him and some pictures on here before. He also has a web site.

mandroid
Feb-06-2004, 6:52pm
If you get a New F9, the lifetime warrentee is in your name, remember.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Magnus Geijer
Feb-06-2004, 7:54pm
I highly recommend a Silver Angel (http://www.silverangelmandolins.com).

Mace
Feb-06-2004, 8:02pm
I have had excellent results with Elderly. I have found it pays to question and request that a salesperson who is a mandolin player gives you an in-hand description. I have two mandolins purchased used through them that I would not part with. I recently bought a Tope F (new builder)in your price range from them. I am very pleased. And yes, I have been able to return an instrument or two over the years that I was not satisfied with ... without a hassle.

Nick Triesch
Feb-06-2004, 9:16pm
Weber builds two F type mandolins under $3000. Also, if you take your time I bet you can find a yellowstone used for under 3000. Nick

mahlboogie
Feb-06-2004, 11:26pm
Bob Snieder makes excellent mandos. Siren mandos come with a varnish finish which you rarely find it this price range. The finish isn't perfect but after 6-7 months it sounds wonderful. Both are under $3000.

Greg H.
Feb-06-2004, 11:47pm
Some other places to look are Mandolin World Headquarters (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/)--Charles Johnson tends to have a fairly good selection of mandolins (both big name and small builder), Greg Boyd (http://www.gregboyd.com) is a Weber dealer and seems to always have some really nice used instruments as well, and Tony Williamson at Mandolin Central (http://www.mandolincentral.com) often has some good stuff (though his selection tends to be in the higher end--e.g. Randy Wood, Duff, Rattlesnake, and of course Gibson). These are, at least, some of the spots on my Favorites list.

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-07-2004, 12:09am
Ditto on the Weber Yellowstone!

TBoone
Feb-07-2004, 8:38am
I was looking back through the posts and see Neal's questions about what style I'll be using it for; new/used; etc. to help with recommendations. I play mostly bluegrass/newgrass, so I'm looking for something with a good chop, as well as overall playability. Used is fine for me and, in fact, it would be preferred actually with my thinking being I could probably get more for my money that way. Unfortunately, I haven't got to play any good mandolins, just the cheaper stuff they have in the local music stores in my area. So, I don't have much to compare with and I really appreciate the help here. I have bought and sold a number of used guitars and most dealers/individuals will give you a 48-72 hour approval. Is the same true for folks in the mando community?

Take care,
Tim

TBoone
Feb-07-2004, 8:43am
Oh yeah, one other thing Neal asked was whether this purchase would be for the long haul, or something I would want to use for resale/trade-up later. It would probably be the latter. That is, the $3K is my range now, but I expect I will want to trade up as I progress and as the $$ becomes available. But, this one is probably something I'd want to keep for a few years. Thanks.
Tim

pathfinder
Feb-07-2004, 9:57am
Hi Tim. All the advice from members so far has been good. I personally agree with the guys who suggested a used Weber Yellowstone or a Gibson F-9. I've owned both of these models and each would be a good fit for your needs.

Eric F.
Feb-07-2004, 11:33am
In that case, Mandohack's F-9 looks even better, I'd say. I think he has a page of description and pix at www.jazzmando.com.

neal
Feb-07-2004, 1:43pm
TBoone- give some of #these (http://members.tripod.com/Liteways/index.html) a listen. #Soundwise, I think they all sound pretty nice, I'd be looking for playability and resale myself. #You couldn't go wrong with the F-9, I have played one of those, and found it very playable to my taste.

DISCLAIMER: #(read very fast) I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL MANDOLIN PLAYER. #NOR AM I A VERY GOOD ONE. #I HAVE VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE WITH MANDOLINS. #ANY ADVICE GIVEN SHOULD BE SUSPECT. THE BULK OF MY EXPERIENCE IS WITH FINE GUITARS. #AND NOT SO FINE GUITARS OF AN ACOUSTIC NATURE. #HOWEVER, I'VE BEEN SUCKED IN TO THE MANDOLIN WORLD AND MY INTERESTS HAVE SWITCHED. #HELP ME PLEASE HELP ME. #THIS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU. #LEAVE NOW WHILE YOU CAN. End of disclainmer, thank you very much for your time.

Ken Berner
Feb-07-2004, 3:01pm
mandocat is correct; the Weber Yellowstone CAN be had for less that $3,000. I would check the Weber dealer list and correspond with them, regardless of where they are located. A dealer in North GA offered one for $2,500 a couple of years ago!

Nick Triesch
Feb-07-2004, 5:02pm
The bottom line is you just have to take your time and look. Look at all the shops, go online , listen for deals and you will find what you are looking for for a great price. To me, thats half the fun. Nick

doanepoole
Feb-08-2004, 4:01pm
[QUOTEThe bottom line is you just have to take your time and look. Look at all the shops, go online , listen for deals and you will find what you are looking for for a great price. To me, thats half the fun. Nick [/QUOTE]

mandocat is right, with time, I firmly believe you can find a 10K sounding f-style for under 3K.

Kbone
Feb-08-2004, 4:07pm
Rose mandolin

jumpyroo
Feb-08-2004, 4:40pm
Find something that will make you happy to just randomly sit down and play it. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. I have a MM collectors something-or-other, with vine inlay in on the fingerboard. I like it. No harm in trying a variety of different mandos, though. Costs about $1000.

doanepoole
Feb-09-2004, 7:24pm
I humbly second kbone's recommendation for Darby Boofer's Rose mandos. I live close by and recently had him check out the bracing on one of my mandolins, and had the opportunity to check out one of his f-styles, and it was quite a nice sounding bluegrass axe...big barky, woofy chop, and a nice throaty tone.

If I recall it was in for setup for a member of a band called Nothin Fancy, so if you see that band, the mando player might be playin this particular Rose.

NFI, except maybe in the local economy.

bluegrassjack2
Feb-09-2004, 8:24pm
One of the best under $3K mandolins is a small builder up in W. Va, name Glen Cecil. He calls his mandolins - The Bluegrass. Tough to beat the value.
Ph# - 304-344-1967

mandoJeremy
Feb-09-2004, 8:41pm
I second that bluegrassjack2, there is a guy here in town that has one of those mandos and it is quite loud and pretty good workmanship.

jlb
Feb-09-2004, 8:55pm
Gotta throw up the WV flag! From what I understand, both Will Parsons and Darby Boofer now build out of West Virginia, and we have this guy Cecil, and I'm sure there are plenty others of repute building fully-bound, quality material mandos for the working man. And I know that Don Kawalek runs alot of flattop workshop and sells kits to aspiring luthiers. Glad to see my old home state is jumping in the fray http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dfyngravity
Feb-10-2004, 11:02am
Many of the good "F5" mandolins under 3K have already been said, the Gibson F-9, Silver Angle, Ratliff, Flatiron...ect..and many other smaller builders. However, another very very good F5 mandolin out is the Janish F5. I think brand new they are going for about $3500 but if you are patient you might see one floating around for around 3K. They are made by Pavel Janish who is a great Czech builder. There are excellent mandos....I can tell you from experience. I owned a Janish A5 and it was a killer A5 mando for the price. I actually took it to a local music store to get some adjustments done, while there I played it along with a Gibson F9 and a Flatiron Festival. The Janish was definately better than the other two. The main difference was the tone, it has a much sweeter tone. If you go to www.galleryofstrings.com you can find them there. The guy that runs the website is August Walters...he is also the U.S. rep. for Pavel Janish. I hope some of this helps and I hope you find a good F5 that suits your playing. Best of luck

DannyB
Feb-10-2004, 2:42pm
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I just noticed in the classifieds that someone has a Ratliff R5 for $1500..00. That's a steal!!!

Thomas
Feb-10-2004, 4:49pm
There isn't a better mandolin made for the money than a Phoenix Bluegrass model, which can be had, used, for less than $3K. It's a 2-point, which should not be an issue for anyone. Get a newer used one with a varnish finish and maple bridge base. Nothing touches it. Nothing.

Greg Billings
Feb-10-2004, 5:02pm
I also would recommend a Silver Angel. Price should still be at $25,000.00. I've had mine now for 8 month's and I feel I made the right decision on the sound for the $$$ issue. Ken is great to deal with too. Very down to earth. Greg

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 5:34pm
Heeheee; if you paid Ken $25,000.00 I'm sure he was extremely great to deal with!
I have a Laura Ratcliff A-style and am very impressed with the tone and playability. If she's his student, his must be very fine indeed!

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 5:36pm
Thomas, the unique visual issue of the Phoenix line has been discussed and it's a big issue for many people, pro and con. I think they're gorgeous. Someone once commented that they look like a kitty cat.

timoz
May-19-2004, 1:29pm
I got an F5 from Rose Instruments (Darby Boofer.) Mine is #13 so he is a relatively new maker. His finish and detail isn't perfrect, but he makes a quality instrument. The tone rivals the best that I've tested in stores; rich, earthy and bright. The last time I spoke with him he was doing F5s for $1,800. Darby is really easy to talk to and can easily incorperate custom desires with little or no price increase. I have custom fret dots, a radius fingerboard, guitar frets (for easier playability) and he threw in a vintage gibson tailpiece all for under $2,000. I'm more than happy and if it wasn't for Darby I wouldn't have been able to afford an instrument of this quality.

http://www.accountspro.com/Rose/rose.htm

If anyone lives in the Bay Area and wants to check mine out let me know.

Amos
SF, CA

August Watters
May-19-2004, 5:06pm
Someone mentioned the Janish F5 but the discounted price is a little lower than the one quoted -- it's definitely possible to get