PDA

View Full Version : Adam Steffey with Dan Tyminski Band Live on Mt Stage on NPR

brewhead
Nov-19-2008, 6:33pm
Listen Now: The Dan Tyminski Band On Mountain Stage

One of the most distinctive voices in modern bluegrass, Dan Tyminski visits Mountain Stage for the first time with his own band to perform songs from his second solo release, Wheels.

Since 1994, Tyminski has been a guitarist and vocalist with the highly praised bluegrass crossover band Alison Krauss and Union Station. With that group on hiatus this year, Tyminski re-formed his own project, featuring longtime Union Station collaborator Barry Bales on bass, award-winning mandolin player Adam Steffey (who wrote the blazing instrumental "Knock Knock!" included here), Ron Stewart on banjo and fiddle/dobro player Justin Moses.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w80/BREWHEAD/dantyminski300.jpg

The set concludes with "Man of Constant Sorrow," the bluegrass standard that helped spark the resurgence of roots music in 2000, when Tyminski's voice was lip-synced by actor George Clooney in the Coen Brothers' film O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Later, Mountain Stage host Larry Groce jokes that house pianist Bob Thompson is an avid investor when introducing his solo piano rendition of "Born to Lose."

Setlist
- "How Many Times"
- "Oh Love Affair"
-"Knock Knock!"
- "Heads You Win Tails I Lose"
- "Wheels"
- "Man of Constant Sorrow"
- "Born to Lose" *
* Performed by Bob Thompson

Link
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97139314

visit us at www.mountainstage.org & www.myspace.com/mountainstage

Bernie Daniel
Nov-19-2008, 6:53pm
A lot of great talent on stage at one time!

Fretbear
Nov-20-2008, 3:26am
Thanks for the link;
Adam Steffey is funny and a good MC in addition to his wailing the snot out of that mandolin.....

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-20-2008, 7:53am
Many thanks for the link,great music, & Adam Steffey's remarks really cracked me up,
Saska :))

AlanN
Nov-20-2008, 8:17am
I dunno, to me this band sounds like run-of-the-mill bluegrass. Certainly good, but it's all been done already.

And someone should tell the mod that the movie title is 'O brother, wherefore art thou?' or as Ralph says 'O brother, where ya at?"

sgarrity
Nov-20-2008, 10:00am
They're all great musicians but it's kinda got that over produced Nashville bluegrass feel to it.

mandopete
Nov-20-2008, 10:05am
I dunno, to me this band sounds like run-of-the-mill bluegrass. Certainly good, but it's all been done already.

I'm with you on that one. I was a bit disappointe that with all of the talent in the group that they didn't stretch it a little further.

BTW - shouldn't this be in the bluegrass section?

kmiller1610
Jan-16-2009, 5:17pm
I like the fact that Steffey can play super clean when he wants to and more raw when he wants to. Variety good....