PDA

View Full Version : pickup for one of my mandos

vcalcaterra
Nov-16-2008, 9:16pm
I'm going to need to put a pickup on one of my acoustic 8 stringers.
I have a Tacoma M2 and a Michael Kelly Legacy plus. I would rather not
replace the bridge on either of these so I was looking for a surface mount
pickup.

The first one I was attracted to was the Baggs Radius. Has anyone used
one of these on an MK or on a Tacoma?

Any other recommendations for a surface mount pickup, and any pros and
cons on this type of pickup?

thanks,
-vince :mandosmiley:

mandroid
Nov-17-2008, 11:40am
FAQ ... some considerable prior discussion on the Baggs Radius has taken place, several times.

moderator may offer a link, to that , or there is a search function.

some additional gear purchases to add to the signal chain have also been suggested.

I'm a Schertler Dyn M fan, myself, for the sound, the XLR balanced Mic cable, direct input to a mixer ,

like a microphone, or an acoustic Dual channel amp.

and the fact that you can swap it to either/or, and any additional mandolins

or any other soundboard .

Con: $400. [Swiss Made] (but you only need one)

Oliver Fuchs
Nov-24-2008, 6:19am
On my Gibson A5 I like the k+k "Twin Spot Internal" (installed inside under the top) very much (I prefer it to the "Mandolin Twin" because it is unvisible and less prone to feedback and less bass-heavy). Very easy to use and sounds pretty good (with a nice DI or preamp). I sold my Schertler because I always had feedback problems... I rather would use a mic then the schertler.

On my Eastman 515 I use a Baggs/Sullivan bridge pickup. It sounds nice too (with a little EQ and reverb) but not as natural as the k+k. The Baggs/Sullivan is even less prone to feedback. So on a loud stage (with drums, electric guitars...) it would work better then the k+k.

Hope that helps.

Oliver

Arve Hermundstad
Nov-26-2008, 5:50am
I use a K&K twin mandolin pickup and is very happy with the sound. You'll need a good DI box, though.

wichitamando
Nov-26-2008, 6:35am
I've got a K&K internal on my Breedlove, and it sounds really good. It is possible to make it feedback if you point the speaker right at it, but it's never really been a problem.. I run it through a A.R.T tube preamp just to warm it up a little.

mandroid
Nov-26-2008, 11:01am
Because the soundhole is in the place where a scroll would be on an F, the Tacoma would be a challenge to install most internals .

difficult to see what you are doing on the inside I'd think,

I recall ,as you will see searching back, Paul H's installation of an end pin mounted
battery self powered internal, budget, condenser microphone. screws in .
Luthier , such as Paul threads the endblock, and the mic is threaded in. (and out to replace the battery)..

another thought, ... all the electronics that RMC supplies to Godin, for their A8 can be purchased
from RMC in Berkeley. and the instrument modified to accept the EQ controls,9v battery holder and the 4 double notch piezos .. inlaid in the surface of the bridge..

~o) ~o) :mandosmiley:
really have to get over the 'not messing with the bridge' part of the plan then, though.