PDA

View Full Version : IV A kit

leathermarshmallow
Nov-15-2008, 7:49pm
Hi.

I thought I would post a pic of another IV kit that I just finished. I used a different fret board/frets and made the nut out of ivory. I used black binding for the front instead of the white that came with it. I didn't put markers on the fretboard...I will next time. No binding on neck. I made this for my daughter who wanted blue. The way it took stain reminded me of an old pair of worn out jeans. I kind of like it, but I don't think I will dye another one blue. It is amazing how much I am learning by doing these kits and changing things as I go. This one sounds better and looks better than the last one. I hope the next one will be even better.

CES
Nov-15-2008, 8:31pm
Very cool, man!

I need to do one of these...have been holding off b/c I don't know if I'm patient enough to really do a quality finish at this point, but I'm probably gonna jump in soon, anyway. Thanks for posting the pics!

leathermarshmallow
Nov-15-2008, 10:46pm
oh yeah, and I sanded off the veneer on the peg head and put another piece of rosewood there that was thicker and darker. I am pretty proud of the look of it and the sound of it.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-16-2008, 4:07pm
I think you did a terrific job. Great pics. Thanks for sharing -- its inspiring.

It is a great looking mandolin for a younger person esp. a girl who is more likely to be into something other than tan or brown.

But all the kids seem to favor multicolored instruments -- just look at the electic guitars these days.

I think I it looks pretty interesting myself -- although it wouldn't be my personal style.

Is your daughter taking lessons?

leathermarshmallow
Nov-16-2008, 6:42pm
My daughter is a very talented pianist who started at age 4 and took lessons until she graduated from HS. Now she teaches piano and is learning violin (fiddle). Since I am into the mandolin, she wants to learn it too.