PDA

View Full Version : Well, how was Grey Fox?

mandopaul
Jul-17-2004, 10:56pm
I missed it this year, but tell me how it was....nice weather, not too hot & no rain. Two years ago I suffered thru a very hot weekend & very dusty on the road up to the hill...tell us how you faired this year. Wish I was there!

Tom C
Jul-19-2004, 7:42am
It was awesome once again. It keeps getting more and more crowded. You can tell by thursdays. After setting up tent on Wed we had a real nice down pour. the rest of the week end was sunny and some rainy it really went back and forth the whole time. When Earl Scruggs took the stage, there was too much lightning and they took a break. Since this was also on FM radio, Earl and the fiddle player picked back stage and they broadcasted it so we can listen back at the campsite. Once it stopped they did their whole set. Our camping area had 60 people plus others I knew elsewhere.
It's only a three minute walk from our tents to the stage. Lots and lots of picking- usually til 4am but I like the daytime pickin better as I can see the fretboard more easily -or was it those margaretas http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif. It was cool meeting another Cafe member (Fred) for some pickin. The sound was great and bands all played great. Dry Branch is always a great host. 5 days goes too quickly but the symposuim comes up real soon now.

Joe Singleton
Jul-19-2004, 8:15am
One of the best Greyhawks yet out of the 25 or so I have attended! Thanks Tom and Fred for catching some of the set on Thursday and saying hello. The weather was amoung the finest ever and the big black cloud that surrounded the hill on Thursday night was responible for the best music of the week as Earl was poppin that five back stage! Orin Star borrowed my Collings MF (mando content) and was impressed with it's maturity right out of the box. More funny, wild, and sweet menories from the hill.-Joe

And we(Adam Dewey and Crazy Creek) were favored with a front page picture on the local newspaper on Friday. If you saw it, I think you might agree that it was a very funny shot. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Tom C
Jul-19-2004, 8:21am
Actually Joe I did not get to say hi but I did catch your set. You guys have a great band. Adam is some mando player with a great voice. You thru me for a loop as I did not realize you were the guitar player. until the intros I was thinking maybe there is no Adam Dewey and the mando picker may be you. great show.

beanbass
Jul-19-2004, 10:27am
That was a blast (blast of thunder, actually). Joe, that was a great set. Tight band, great players, some good humor there, too. It was a pleasure hanging with you and Brian up at your camp. I'm looking forward to Brian's gathering. What paper was the picture in?

Michael Bean

Joe Singleton
Jul-19-2004, 7:11pm
Hey Tom- Thanks for the nice words. I did meet a Tom and I guess I thought it was you, anyway it was a great week and one I won't forget. BTW, Brian Clancey is THE real guitar player in our band and we couldn't drive like we do w/o him. It really is a great mix of personalities and voice that keeps it fun. I look forward to the rest of our relatively busy summer culminated by TWO sets on Saturday at the wonderful Thomas Point Beach BG Fest labor day weekend in Brunswick Maine!-Joe

Fred- I can't remember the name of the paper but it was on sale at the gas station just down the road from the fest.

Fred G
Jul-20-2004, 6:26am
What a great fest! Scruggs was really cool on Sat night after that storm subsided. Then Del ripped it up both with his band and later with leftover salmon. They played until about 2:20 am.
Tom, great finally meeting you, and getting to pick a few. I'll be in touch.
Joe, nice to meet you and I will pass along info to our organization.

Joe Singleton
Jul-20-2004, 7:27am
I guess I'm still tired as I can't seem to get my names and comments directed properly. Nice to meet you Fred and Micheal the news paper info( or lack there of) was in answer to you. -Joe