PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Haden

Mike Bunting
Nov-13-2008, 12:53am
So, anyone see Charlie Haden on Letterman tonight? He has a new project in the country/bluegrass vein, The band tonight performed Johnny Cash's song "Spiritual". Guests with Haden and his family were Stuart Duncan, Rob Ickes and Dan Tyminski along with guitarist John Leventhal. Beautiful indeed.

Tripp Johnson
Nov-13-2008, 7:08am
That's pretty cool, I've always liked his projects with Pat Metheny (and many others) in the jazz world. I figured he would be a good 'crossover' artist, seems to be able to play anything and has roots in acoustic folk/bluegrass etc. I look forward to hearing this. Thanks for the heads up. I seem to remember he was part of a family band as a youngster.

Jonathan James
Nov-13-2008, 7:41am
It is a really good CD. Charlie is known more for his bass work in jazz circles, but he started at about 3 years old in the Haden Family Band; he was known as the "yodeling cowboy". This new CD is a return to his bluegrass roots and features tons of guest artists plus his triplet daughters (one of them is married to funny guy Jack Black, of School of Rock fame, who does a credible job on "Old Joe Clark"). Definitely a good CD to check out; I've been playing it quite a bit.

Michael Eck
Nov-13-2008, 9:47am
"Spiritual" certainly was covered by Johnny Cash, but the tune was written by Josh Haden (Charlie's son) for his band, Spain.

tkdboyd
Nov-13-2008, 11:05am
The CD is in my Car's CD player. Really cool Vocal Harmonies with the Haden girls. Sam Bush tears up a really cool version of Old Joe Clark. And then there is Pat Metheny's guitar break on The Fields of Athenry is just masterful, but what else would you expect from Pat Metheny?

Wesley
Nov-13-2008, 11:12am
It has an interesting mix of music on the CD. According to the liner notes his parents had a radio show as Charlie was growing up. Mother Maybelle Carter was a regular guest at their house. Then Charlie heard some jazz as a teenager and was "lost" forever.

mandopete
Nov-13-2008, 3:37pm
Then Charlie heard some jazz as a teenager and was "lost" forever.

Yeah, listening to Ornette Coleman can do that to a person.

:)

Paul Kotapish
Nov-13-2008, 6:20pm
Here's the dedicated website where you can see a video and hear more from the album. It's very nice:

http://www.charliehadenfamilyandfriends.com/

You can listen to a stream of the whole album here:

http://www.hadenfamilyandfriends.com/amazon/

Dagger Gordon
Jul-14-2014, 2:48pm
I see that Charlie Haden has passed away.

A really great musician. RIP

JH Murray
Jul-14-2014, 6:17pm
A great biography on Haden, with scenes from the country album can be viewed on Vimeo.
http://vimeo.com/83239232

sunburst
Jul-14-2014, 8:07pm
Charlie died just a few days ago. I was saddened by the news. Last time I saw him on TV he was unable to eat because of residual effects from his childhood polio, but I didn't think he would be gone so soon.

brunello97
Jul-14-2014, 8:15pm
He was one of the greats. Sad to hear of his passing.

Mick

journeybear
Jul-15-2014, 5:12am
His daughters have been touring as The Haden Ttiplets, and a few months ago showed up on "Conan," backed up by Ry Cooder, who produced their album. (He played guitar, not mandolin, in case you were wondering.) By some odd coincidence this episode was rebroadcast just a few days ago.

catmandu2
Jul-15-2014, 11:20pm
I love Charlie--one of my first wildly inspirational figures in jazz. I can only imagine how exciting it must have been for him as a 20-some year old kid when he first hit with Paul Bley and Ornette in LA. I followed him assiduously after that--especially when he started working with another of my favorites Egberto Gismonti..

Dagger Gordon
Jul-16-2014, 1:31am
I followed him assiduously after that--especially when he started working with another of my favorites Egberto Gismonti..

Egberto - now that guy really is something!

brunello97
Jul-16-2014, 8:55am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEpMLiqzZd8

Here's Haden holding Bill Frisell and Ginger Baker together. All the while providing a lyrical and swinging groove.

Mick

catmandu2
Jul-16-2014, 1:12pm
His duo recordings with various artists allowed him to work in those understated and highly lyrical forms. Was it Hank Jones with whom he did the gospel and spiritual album? Like the popular pat metheny "Missouri skies" album... Charlie was a master of understatement... "Play each note as though your life depended on it"

I loved his work with Keith jarret, dejohnette, motian, Dewey redman, et al...some of the first jazz music I got really onto. Some really cool stuff on metheny's "80/81"--Charlie would just lay down a rudimentary blues/folk form sometimes...you can really hear his roots

sunburst
Jul-16-2014, 1:30pm
...Some really cool stuff on metheny's "80/81"...

I must admit to not being much of a Matheny fan, but Charlie made him sound pretty good!
To think that the same guy who could happily lay down a simple folk/country bass line could also hang with Ornette Coleman is quite a thought.

mandopops
Jul-16-2014, 2:55pm
Charlie Haden, very cool Musician, died too young.

I got to hear him w/ Ornette Coleman in the early 70's in Chicago. It was somewhat of a reunion. It was Haden, Coleman on Alto, Blackwell on Drums (I think) & Dewey Redman on Tenor (instead of Don Cherry on Pocket Trumpet-I guess because Ornette would alternate on Trumpet & Violin). That was quite an experience to hear that landmark Jazz Quartet. Great stuff.

Heard him a couple years ago when he was the "Artist-in-Residence at the Chicago Jazz Fest. He was featured with a couple of different ensembles featuring his Music. I saw him in a small group setting. Great Music.

Love the Frisell, Baker clip. Thanx, Mick

Joe B

bones12
Jul-16-2014, 7:12pm
RIP Mr Haden knowing you have left this musical world a better place. Such a broad range of skill, great music and fun playing are rare things. His family continues on. Doug in Vermont