PDA

View Full Version : Flatty Ron

B. T. Walker
Nov-11-2008, 11:01pm
An acquaintance of mine has picked up the mando, and is pretty okay after a few years. He finally decided to upgrade, and purchased a beaut right out of the cafe classifieds. Anyway, he kept talking about how great his Flatty Ron sounded, and it took me a couple of minutes to realize he meant Flatiron!

A good laugh can make your day. It's funny what people hear in their heads when they read. Sometimes "close to right" can really tickle your ribs.

I mean, if it sounds like "J" in giblets at Thanksgiving, why isn't it Jibson mandolins? :grin:

MikeEdgerton
Nov-12-2008, 8:21am
Hmmm, Giblets is pronounced with a J? News to me after 57 years of hearing it with a hard G. Man, you learn something new every day.

AlanN
Nov-12-2008, 8:35am
Flatty Ron...now that is funny.

When I was considering a good F mandolin in 1985, I saw the Flatiron brand in print and thought something along the lines of forged iron, or something. After I checked one out, I amended my perception, and bought one.

Mike Bromley
Nov-12-2008, 8:38am
By Jolly, I'd be tempted to Jo to the dictionary and jet joing on the next 57!

I had a friend years ago that fretted over the price of jasoline.

Bill Van Liere
Nov-12-2008, 9:44am
I also recall a guy that had a chuckle with my Flat-i-ron.

JEStanek
Nov-12-2008, 9:44am
I've heard giblets pronounced both ways being from central Virginia. Jibliets and gravy or turkey giblets. I wonder if it has anything to do with only hearing about them near Thanksgiving and the propensity for corn liquor based speech impediments during those times of year? :whistling:

Other mando related fun pronounciations include
D'Addario (this is why I use TIs or JazzMando strings...)
Thile (Thee'lee or thile (rhymes with tile) or Tile-ee
Keltic or sell-tic
Some of the Czech builders or Giacomel can be butchered by the best of us...
Collins or Collings mandolins (this one always makes me smile)

Jamie

Bill Van Liere
Nov-12-2008, 9:47am
thanks Jamie

How do I pronounce your last name name? Stay neck? I guess it depends whare y'all from.

Bobbie Dier
Nov-12-2008, 10:25am
Bill Monroe and a lot of the old timers might pronounce it Flat Arn. At least they do around my neck of the woods.

JEStanek
Nov-12-2008, 11:15am
My last name is pronounced Sta' (like in stand) -neck (just south of yer skull). My father's people are from Ohio, via Poland! On the phone I get Stankey (great!), "Sta, Sta, sir", Mr. Stain neck, I like to let them fumble for a while. I don't even have a tough name like Tichenor or Eschliman or Biemborn! Thank goodness we have a moderator with a last name of Jones.

You can call me pretty much whatever you like, as long as you say it with a smile.

Jamie

squirrelabama
Nov-12-2008, 11:45am
When I first saw the Flatiron brand name, for some reason my pea brain read it as Flat-u-ron.(pronounced flat-choo-ron)....as if it were some sort of whoopie cushion machine.... this went on for almost a year before I had actually heard someone pronounce it correctly. Talk about brain flatulence!! Man.........glad that passed =;)

Frank Russell
Nov-13-2008, 12:50pm
These posts all remind me of the absolutely serious question on here years ago if anyone had tab to " A Shogun Farewell."

squirrelabama
Nov-13-2008, 1:08pm
Tom Cruise probably does....... wasn't he the last Samuri?