PDA

View Full Version : Thrashed 3-pt. F2 on eBay

mrmando
Nov-10-2008, 10:46pm
It kind of hurts to look at this (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Gibson-F-2-mandolin-guitar-needs-some-glue-all-orig_W0QQitemZ350123917696QQihZ022QQcategoryZ10179 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262). I'm intrigued by the non-Orville label and the inlay that goes straight across the headstock rather than angled ... wouldn't those indicate a factory repair a few years after it was built (1908, judging from the SN)?

"Needs some glue" ... understatement of the day!

markishandsome
Nov-10-2008, 11:05pm
The constant use of the word "she" to describe the instrument is a little creepy at times.

Sorry no further insights!

northfolk
Nov-10-2008, 11:14pm
The reverse tailpiece cover is an interesting feature?????? What year did they implement that?????? Overall not a pretty site!!!!!! :mandosmiley:

mrmando
Nov-10-2008, 11:25pm
The reverse tailpiece cover is an interesting feature
That's the one problem on this mando I feel certain that I could fix.

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-11-2008, 12:03am
I was talking to the wife about it and I think a spot of glue here and there and a lick of paint and she'll look real purty.... but I don't think I can do anything with the mando.....

atetone
Nov-11-2008, 12:07am
Ah shucks, It would be just a pesky little side job to fix that up (if your name was Gail Hester).

allenhopkins
Nov-11-2008, 12:28am
I'm intrigued by the non-Orville label and the inlay that goes straight across the headstock rather than angled ... wouldn't those indicate a factory repair a few years after it was built (1908, judging from the SN)?

My 3-point #6208 has the same slightly angled logo inlay as the one on eBay; mine does have the Orville Gibson label, however.

If this one goes for less than $800-1,000 I'd call it a bargain. The Handels are worth a bunch in themselves. Were I looking for another 3-point F-2, I'd snap it up at that price, get it in the hands of Ms. Hester or someone else with real restorative skills, and be prepared to spend serious buxx getting it into decent shape. Lotsa work involved, but the end product would be pretty special, IMHO.

F5GRun
Nov-11-2008, 12:56am
A little set-up work and a new end pin and that baby will be good as new I tell ya! Im no expert, but it also looks like that screw in the heel needs a little tightening. :))

Good luck to the winner

Jason Nagati
Nov-11-2008, 2:27am
I say save the tuner buttons and trash the rest. Two questions, one sarcastic, one serious:
Can't dust be wiped away before taking a picture for ebay?
Should a mandolin in that state still be strung?

mrmando
Nov-11-2008, 2:46am
Should a mandolin in that state still be strung?
No, it's in Florida and mandolinists there aren't allowed to use strings.

Since there are no screws holding the tailpiece on, that homemade endpin is what's taking all the tension. Endpins are not supposed to be what holds the tailpiece onto the tailblock. It would be better for this mandolin not to bring it up to pitch ... you might never get it to pitch in this condition anyway. If I bought it, the first thing I'd do is get my cutters out and get rid of the strings.

Joel Spaulding
Nov-11-2008, 3:55am
[QUOTE=mrmando;596443]No, it's in Florida and mandolinists there aren't allowed to use strings.
:))

In the words of Mike Edgerton, " Warn me next time before you do that"

I just spit ~o) on the computer!

Handels, nice. - wouldn't mind having a set "just because"

The remainder looks more like a wall hanger for this Mandolinist - the repairs might cost more than a decent, playable example from the same year (?)-
but I agree with Allen that if fixed it would be pretty special.

Have to keep an eye on this one.

:popcorn:

jeff mercer
Nov-11-2008, 4:22am
Anyone got a realistic idea of what it would cost to get this into playable condition ? Are we talking $1,000 + ?..I kinda don't mind pretty beaten-up instruments, but from the comments so far, it seems this goes somewhat beyond "beaten up " to "wall-hanger". The Aussie $ vs. the US $ probably rules me out anyway, but God, I love the look of 3-point Gibsons..what do you all think it's worth in current condition ?

danb
Nov-11-2008, 7:43am
Looks to me like the neck was grafted. Might not be the original head.

That'd cost *a lot* to make go again. For an F4 I'd say go for it- but the 3pt F2s from that range don't do an awful lot for me tonally

TomTyrrell
Nov-11-2008, 9:15am
I wonder if there are any tongue depressors glued on the inside?

OKMike
Nov-11-2008, 9:34am
Looks like a "SUPER" Distressed Model

lol

Mike

Darryl Wolfe
Nov-11-2008, 10:16am
I started to make a thread on this...I'm too late. I love the "needs some glue"

woodwizard
Nov-11-2008, 2:30pm
That was just so sad to look at. Especially when I really love 3 pts.

CES
Nov-11-2008, 3:43pm
Martin, that just hurts to look at :(...

Allen, I always love your perspective on these things...I haven't sold an instrument yet, and only three or four of the ones I have are even worth keeping as beaters! Agree it would be awesome to see Gail or one of the other masters on here get hold of it, but I don't think I can be the one to spring for it right now...

allenhopkins
Nov-11-2008, 3:58pm
Well, price's up over $700, which is right around the top limit of what I'd pay. You're going to be well into four figures for restoration, and the finished product -- if you got a really immaculate job, looking "mint" -- would probably have market value somewhere between $2K and $3K. But wouldn't there also be a certain glow when you pulled out a "saved from the grave" century-old 3-point F-2, not just a wall hanger but a really playable mandolin? I really like my old 3-point, and have played it in performance, recording sessions, and just jams for the past 22 years. The one on eBay is pleading with someone to give it TLC and let it sing again...

And I remember what the late Eldon Stutzman said to me 30+ years ago -- he founded Stutzman's Guitar Center (http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/) in Rochester, which his son Dave runs now: if someone walked into his store with the pieces of a Gibson "F" mandolin in a paper bag, he'd still buy it. Of course, back then there weren't the great alternative mandolins that are available now, but vintage F's are still the gold standard.

jeff mercer
Nov-13-2008, 5:58am
Up over $800 now, so I'm well out of the race ! Thought it might stall at about $375, and I'd have a go, but nope !...still be watching, though..this is gonna be pretty interesting..

mandolooter
Nov-13-2008, 8:54am
With Handels going for $400+ and the pineapple tailpiece which I was quoted a $200 dolla price on a while back when looking for one for my 06 A, I'd say the rest is worth $200. Its fixable.

mrmando
Nov-21-2008, 1:18pm
Well, the auction ended at $1,080 ... and apparently the deal fell through, because the instrument is now on Craig's List. Weird ... the guy had five bidders north of $800; you'd think if one flaked he could get a second-chance bid from one of the others.

lenf12
Nov-25-2008, 4:32pm
[QUOTE=mrmando;596443]No, it's in Florida and mandolinists there aren't allowed to use strings.

Well, I'm here in Florida with a bunch of stringless mandolins. No wonder they don't sound like much. :cool:Thanks for the insights, Martin. At least mine don't need any glue.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Michael Cameron
Nov-30-2008, 9:00pm
Looks to me like the neck was grafted. Might not be the original head.
That'd cost *a lot* to make go again. For an F4 I'd say go for it- but the 3pt F2s from that range don't do an awful lot for me tonally

danb,was wondering about the 3-point that Dawg hung on the angel/used on an early album. Was that an F-3? Maybe he had the neck reset for more angle?
Would it be in the same "range" of that poor baby on ebay?

I always wanted a Gibson 3-pointer. Played a couple(with rotten strings). I've always heard the neck angle is quite shallow on the 3-point Gibsons (?)

TIA,
c