PDA

View Full Version : Those Gibson Mandolins!!!!

Gary Hedrick
Nov-10-2008, 9:53pm
I was honored to have Dave Harvey attend the picking session I hosted. He brought examples of almost the entire line of current mandolins with him.

My thoughts on two of them:

The F9 was a real surprise. A really good sounding instrument. Yeah it's plain and simple....yes it's not a Master Model but folks this thing had the sound and played really well. I hadn't really played one of these before and thought they were a Gibson version of Asian instruments. Heck no.....this is a real deal Gibson that sounded great and played great for not many bucks.

I have read all the bashing and thrashing of Gibson on the Cafe over the Heritage model. I played a later one and the prototype. Now come on folks, these are good sounding instruments that are well made. These two were nice. Yes the protoype might have been a little over the top with the crazing of the finish etc but let's really look at what's being presented here. It's like Lloyd was in "the position" say in 1912 and he decided to influence the line to have f holes with a F4 mindset. If you are an F4 picker then this instrument will really resonant with you. My first love was a 1917 F4 that I played for many years. Got it from Bill Monroe for my dad putting in a sound system in the Barm at Bean Blossom and once you have these in your blood they never leave. I have owned a bunch of F4's over the years and love the grace and lines of them. These mandolins are based on that mindset....what could be more lovely than a red backed..black topped mandolin without a truss rod cover to interfer with the peghead inlay.

Yeah they are trying to make a buck and they darn well better be making a buck or they will be out of business. My hat's off to Dave on this model because he is trying to "look back" to the spine of what was Gibson's History before the Les Pauls came along and electric guitars became King...
These mandolins are real gems. They sound great and look even better.

Well enough .....Dave is busting his butt to make a better mandolin.....to show imagination with the lines and I think deserves acknowledgement of those facts.........

JeffD
Nov-10-2008, 11:28pm
I played an F9 at a music store this last summer, and I really enjoyed it. Great sound and as playable as I could want.

Fretbear
Nov-11-2008, 12:05am
I couldn't agree more about the design Gary; I designed and built my custom F-5 almost exactly like the Heritage, years before these came out. Black-top, stained sides, wide neck and double-flowerpot headstock. I have never been much of a fan of the oval-hole sound, yet always found those teen 4's to be perfection in regards to musical sculpture. For me it's a match made in Heaven. If I was to have too much money to spend, it would be a tough decision between the DMM or the Heritage model.

earthsave
Nov-11-2008, 11:24am
That F9 was a hoss. If I was in the market for a new mandolin, I woulda bought that one.

bgjunkie
Nov-11-2008, 11:40am
My F9 is a great sounding mandolin. I am thinking about having bigger frets put on it, but that is the only thing I would change. I had it up on the classifieds for sale/trade, but after doing so I realized that I could not afford to get a better sounding mandolin with what I would make off the great sounding mandolin that I have.

Tony Sz
Nov-11-2008, 12:36pm
I have read all the bashing and thrashing of Gibson on the Cafe over the Heritage model.
Are we talking about the "Victorian" model here? I can't find a "Heritage" model.

Gary Hedrick
Nov-11-2008, 12:53pm
Well yes we talking about the Victorian......Freudian slip it seems because of my mindset about what that model represents.....thanks for catching my goof

Rick Schmidlin
Nov-11-2008, 1:06pm
I played a F9 in a hop in Vancouver recently and was impressed. I may give it another spin in the future.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-12-2008, 4:09pm
Yes the Gibson F-9 is without a doubt a tremendous mandolin.

There really is no reason, theoretically, why a radomly selected F-9 will not sound as good as a randomly picked F-5G or F-5 L or Fern or even a signature model.

Afterall, they all come off the same line/production process.

I do not mean to belittle the F-5 Ferns and F-5 signature models one bit --- BUT the F-9's (and even the A-9's) are right up there with the fancier models. With these models you are buying pretty not performance.

Disclaimer. I am not including the MM and DMM models which have different top wood, glue and finish in this comparison.

In fact I've never picked up an A-9 that didn't just rock in terms of performance.

Over time I have grudglingly come to admit that my A-9 is every bit the mandolin in all aspects of performance as my F-5 Fern. (both 2002 models).

In fact I wonder if the A-9's don't have a little edge over the F's as the scroll adds weight and really does not enhance the sound -- the F-models are a lot sexier though.

Those Gibson mandolins!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie Daniel
Nov-13-2008, 6:50am
Like this example on the auction site.

For $2400 you are into a great "newish" Gibson F-9 with a sunburst - the name, the sound and the looks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Gibson-F-9-mandolin_W0QQitemZ150309716119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item150309716119&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

acousticphd
Nov-13-2008, 3:51pm
Why not go for an A9? Maybe the one for sale here? Then you'd still have enough for another A-style, maybe an oval hole or something different. All the A9s I've ever picked up sounded great. Personally I like a wider neck and a radiused board, but the A9 has the sound.

sloanypal
Nov-13-2008, 4:14pm
I've had my F-9 for 4 or 5 years now. I've become used to people being surprised by the sound.

Mike Bromley
Nov-13-2008, 4:33pm
I have to admit, after playing and loving my Triggs to death, that my F9 is still a kickbutt mandolin. I also think they have personalities that are a mystery to the mortal....the F9 seems to have decided it can out-shout the Triggs, which is a bit of a pain. That thin finish and the willy-hole may have a say.....

Maybe If I distress the Triggs to the same degree...? I haven't had much chance to enjoy either instrument while sitting over here in the Sahara...

An observation, though, the nines are a good mando, but they weren't created equal. Willy was head and shoulders above other nines that I had played, hence his one-way trip out of the shop.:popcorn:

Bernie Daniel
Nov-13-2008, 6:57pm
acousticphd: Why not go for an A9? Maybe the one for sale here?

Sure why not? Good advice -- I agree.

IMO, the Gibson A-9 might just be about as good a mandolin value as there is these days -- it has the name, it has the sound, the price is right.

But some folks just got to have a scroll............