PDA

View Full Version : breedlove

wannabethile
Nov-08-2008, 11:53pm
i played a breedlove tenor guitar the other day, and woah!!! it was the best/cleanest tenor that ive ever played. ive never been a fan of their mandolin line, but this was sweet. anyone else ever play one? what did you think? does anyone have any idea how much they go for?

JEStanek
Nov-09-2008, 10:39am
Elderly, for example (http://www.elderly.com/brand/80N_breedlove.html) has some flat top Breedlove tenors you can price.

Jamie

MLT
Nov-09-2008, 11:01am
I have played the Breedlove Tenor (at the factory when visiting) last year. I was back this year and played a new model that had 4 courses (GDAE + Octave Strings--I believe) that Jason (Luthier) had built for the Sisters Festival. I don't know if they have/will go into production, but it was sweet.

acousticphd
Nov-10-2008, 1:32pm
As it happens, a few weeks ago I played a rosewood, full OM-bodied Breedlove tenor belonging to a musician here in Nashville. The scale was long, maybe ~24"; I don't know the exact length. He had it tuned GDAE, which suited it very well.

This was one of the best sounding guitars, tenor or otherwise, I have heard. Big, full base and big strong trebles. It sounded like a very good, high-end OM except with 4 strings. The fact that it was a tenor guitar made it really exceptional. But so is/was the price; I think he said the retail on them is ~$2500.

Charles E.
Nov-10-2008, 6:35pm
Maybe I am a purist but if it has a 24+ inch scale length and is tuned gdae it is not a tenor guitar . Rather it is an octave mandolin guitar thingie.....
I do not doubt that it is a great instrument however.

Payit Forward
Nov-10-2008, 7:16pm
Maybe I am a purist but if it has a 24+ inch scale length and is tuned gdae it is not a tenor guitar .

Pardon me, but I was always told that tenor guitars were originally built with ~23-24" scale, and tuned gdae to make it easy for mandolin and/or tenor banjo players to pick it up. What is it supposed to be?

Payit Forward
Nov-10-2008, 7:21pm
Sorry... They're usually tuned CGDA aren't they?

Charles E.
Nov-10-2008, 8:05pm
Pete, original scale was approx. 22-7/8 inches. Any longer and you start breaking A strings. The instrument was developed in the mid to late 20's as a cross over instrument for dixiland tenor banjo players as the guitar gained popularity in the rythem sections at the time.

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-10-2008, 9:45pm
A rose by any other name ...... a fifths-tuned instrument is a fifths-tuned instrument is a fifths-tuned instrument.... the fingering and chord shapes are the same, all that changes is the key... I pick up an instrument I make sure it is in tune to itself - say the middle bass strings - and away I go..... and there's always a capo if I need to back a singer... Mandolin, Mandola, Mandocello, Tenor Guitar... bring 'em on.

acousticphd
Nov-11-2008, 4:13pm
Yeah, his tuning it GDAE was his preference, and of course the string gauges were appropriate for that tuning. It was is probably equally designed to be a CGDA tenor using lighter strings. Elderly Instruments has a few of these for sale, if you want to have a look, and gives the scale length as 24-1/16". Given the size and scale of the guitar, maybe it is expected it would excel in the lower tuning with heavier strings.

Charles E.
Nov-11-2008, 6:25pm
I am inclined to believe they designed ( and intonated the bridge ) for heavier strings and octave tuning. I do not believe it would work tuned CGDA, the A string would have to be very light and the added neck length would be a pain. I actually think it would work as a short scale plectrum in addition to octave tuning. It would be interesting to hear the design thoughts from the folks at Breedlove that went into producing this instrument.

MLT
Nov-11-2008, 7:31pm
Here are the specs for the Breedlove Tenors:

Solid Select Honduran Mahogany Back and Sides
Solid Sitka Spruce Top and Braces
Advanced and Scalloped “Pre-War” X-Bracing
Tortoise Shell Body Binding
Multi-ply bwb Rosette
Soundhole Truss Rod Access
Ebony Pinned “Belly” Bridge
1/8” Tusq Saddle
24-1/16” Scale Length
19 Fret Honduran Mahogany Neck (13 Frets to Body)
Ebony Fingerboard
Pearl Dot Position Markers
Tortoise Heel Cap
1-7/16” Tusq Nut
# Of Frets: 19
Slotted Headstock
Rosewood Headstock Overlay
Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite Vintage Chrome Tuners
Vintage Toner Stain
Hand Rubbed Semi-Gloss Finish

I can't say if the tuning is standard for Tenors, but these are tuned out of the shop GDAE.

Scott Rucker
Nov-14-2008, 4:10pm
Breedlove teamed up with Joe Craven to produce their tenor He wanted one tuned GDAE so that violin students could accompany one another on guitar in a familiar tuning.

Charles E.
Nov-14-2008, 10:24pm
Scott, that is nice to hear, very cool!

Will Morgan
Dec-10-2008, 2:38pm
Would that Nashville musician be Tim May? He sent me a sound clip of that guitar, and it does indeed sound great. It is voiced for GDAE, unlike almost any other "tenor" guitars - thus, it has way more balls than tenors voiced for CGDA, and restrung GDAE.

Asha
Dec-11-2008, 12:31pm
I wonder about the 24 1/16" scale length though. Do you all think that is too long to do much serious melody playing? Or is this guitar really more intended for chording and accompaniment? I like the fact that it is GDAE, but not so sure about the long scale length.

acousticphd
Dec-16-2008, 4:35pm
Would that Nashville musician be Tim May? He sent me a sound clip of that guitar, and it does indeed sound great. It is voiced for GDAE, unlike almost any other "tenor" guitars - thus, it has way more balls than tenors voiced for CGDA, and restrung GDAE.

It was Tim May's Breedlove that I heard; based on the above (and how good the guitar sounded) it makes sense that it was intended to be played in GDAE.